Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ida (Paweł Pawlikowski)

• 26-09-2014 9:38pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,742 CMod ✭✭✭✭

One of the highlights of JDIFF has finally been released in cinemas today. This is a deeply moody and carefully crafted film in all respects, but it particularly stands out thanks to its tremendous visuals. Academy ratio hasn't often looked so fetching. Agata Trzebuchowska, meanwhile, has that rare screen presence that brings to mind Maria Falconetti - her gaze alone tells as much of a story as the dialogue.

What I wrote after watching it back when:

I'm not familiar with Paweł Pawlikowski's previous work (My Summer of Love being his best known), but I'll be making sure to track them down after being thoroughly drawn into this film about an orphaned nun's journey to discover her roots. The story itself is intriguingly sparse - lead actress Agata Trzebuchowska is a wonderful screen presence (the eyes alone communicate a powerful sense of innocence and naivety), and her voyage of self discovery - aided by her alcoholic, cynical aunt (Agata Kulesza) - is represented with subtlety and grace. There's a welcome ambiguity about the film's mid twentieth century Polish setting, but the political and social contexts of the period (particularly the aftermath of the Holocaust) are intriguingly explored throughout.

Mostly, though, it's the visual presentation that stands out. Shot in black & white 4:3 (and making tremendous use out of that old-fashioned aspect ratio), the compositions make fascinating use of frame height and geometry. Through the cinematography, Pawlikowski and his DP transmit a sense of unease, place and often a grim sort of beauty. It's a film where every pretty much every cut signals an inventive new shot, and it's a feast for the eyes even if you're left cold by the purposefully pared-back narrative. For me, though, it was a delightfully complete package.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

One of the very best of the year to be sure. Don't let the black & white and old-fashioned shooting style put you off, it's an engaging and beautiful film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

On the watch list now, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Loved this film, might be my favourite Pawlikowski and I really like his first two films. Felt like it could've been some Czech new wave classic or something (albeit a fair bit weightier than the ones I can think of anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Saw this earlier tonight after hearing rave reviews from all sides. It's a very impressive film, one of the years best. At the very least.

I was a bit shocked at first when I saw the aspect ratio on screen. I thought that there had been some mistake. Nearly every single review had mentioned the films cinematography as one of it's main selling points. I shouldn't have fretted. The film is filled with one beautiful arresting image after another. For a film that has such an austere and even occasionally grimy setting it is a marvel how it manages to be such a feast for the eyes. Time and time again if you were to add up components of certain shots, the end result should amount to suffocating torpor. But instead of recoiling I found myself being drawn into visuals that evoked a spare type of elemental beauty.

One particular image springs to mind- A static shot of a car, weighed down with grim history in the trunk, beside a decrepit roadside café, under a barely crepuscular light from a sun hidden behind omnipresent overcast. All of those visual elements, under different circumstances, would make me usually grow apprehensive for the turn the story may take. Horror and further despair would seem not too far off. But, in this instance I felt a sense that the shot was conveying a message of the fact of the survival of hope and the ability to remember things which seem long forgotten. The point wasn't that the sun was hidden behind the clouds, but that that it was still there, shining despite all attempts to blot it out. Pardon me for getting highfalutin here, but that one quick individual moment genuinely moved me and I think the film is filled with high grade visual poetry throughout. So it's worth writing about.

I can understand how some viewers may be left cold by the film. Along with its aspect ratio, the narrative has a pared back minimalist feel. Elliptical and jarring cuts replace a more standardised retelling of events. As the story unfolds it would be at times too easy to be underwhelmed by the sometimes emotionally stunted reactions of characters and moments of subtlety in storytelling that are left deliberately vague and open to interpretation. But the films mix of eye popping images and its desire to deal with difficult themes gives it a cumulative power. A film like this, so bereft of histrionics and of such brief duration should have no business possessing this kind of impact. The magic is that it does.

The more I write about it the more it grows in my mind. Initially, in the first few moments after the credits rolled, I thought “that was pretty good”. Now I think it's maybe the best film I've seen all year. The two lead actresses are a study in contrasts. One possesses quiet serenity, whose gigantic expressive eyes speak of a sheltered life mixed with quiet intelligence. The other seems dried out and embittered by the world. But despite their different circumstances, both seem linked in that there's a lot going beyond that very first impression, even if their attitudes and actions are decidedly different.

The films ideas are huge- The intrusion of history into peoples lives, the price of integrity, the reliability or otherwise of faith, the usefulness of truth, whether there can ever be a proper response to tragedy.... I could go on. It seems to contain multitudes. Human in scale but borderline cosmic in themes. When a film manages those two differences of scale it registers as a stone cold classic for me. A marvel really. Hopefully as time goes on it will find it way to more people than the relative minority of the film going population it's playing to right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

I went to see this on Saturday and loved it. Powerful, thought-provoking stuff. Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

An interesting film. The 4:3 aspect ratio and monochrome cinematography made it seem like a throwback to the Polish films of old, like those of Andrzej Wajda. The spectre of the Holocaust hung over the story, with Jews an almost extinct people in post-Second World War, Soviet-era Poland. The running length was an odd choice - not short enough to be a 'short' film, obviously, but not nearly as long as most similarly sombre arthouse films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Showing on Film4 this week. Wed 15th March 11.15pm.
    Excellent film.

Advertisement