Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Football Teams to Watch in 2015

Options
  • 22-09-2014 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Saw some comments on this topic in a spread across a few threads so thought I'd create a specific thread for it.

I'll get the ball rolling:

All-Ireland Contenders
    Kerry
    Dublin
    Mayo
    Donegal

Teams that will push hard
    Armagh
    Tyrone
    Monaghan
    Cork

On the up (Pushin' for a QF)
    Galway
    Kildare
    Roscommon
    Tipperary
    Sligo
    Laois
    Cavan
    Derry

Leinster Contenders
    Dublin

Munster Contenders
    Kerry
    Cork
    Tipperary(why not?)

Ulster Contenders
    Donegal
    Monaghan
    Armagh
    Tyrone

Connacht Contenders
    Mayo
    Galway
    Roscommon

*Don't turn this into a bitch and moan about Blanket Defense

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭deadybai

Don't think Monaghan are a team that will push hard. I think Galway and maybe Tipp would beat them. Hard to know where mayo week be. They looked good against kerry but we're flat for most of the year before that. Roscommon are a team I think we'll make a breakthrough next year. But for me I'd choose Dublin for the Ai. I don't think Kerry or mayo wild have beaten the Dubs this year and they now have a year to figure out how to beat the system. I hope I'm wrong about Dublin though. Love seeing them bet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

deadybai wrote: »
    Don't think Monaghan are a team that will push hard. I think Galway and maybe Tipp would beat them. Hard to know where mayo week be. They looked good against kerry but we're flat for most of the year before that. Roscommon are a team I think we'll make a breakthrough next year. But for me I'd choose Dublin for the Ai. I don't think Kerry or mayo wild have beaten the Dubs this year and they now have a year to figure out how to beat the system. I hope I'm wrong about Dublin though. Love seeing them bet :)

Hard to know with Mayo especially with new management. I think Galway or possibly Roscommon could pip them for the Connacht title net year, but if that happens I think they would just get stronger.

I don't thik Dublin will win AI next year, I think Kerry have another year or 2 especially with their versitility. scoring 2-09 playing defensively against a Blanket and without their top scorer scoring is promising, they could easily have had 2-12/2-14 there yesterday.

T0001 wrote: »
    Hard to know with Mayo especially with new management.
    I'll reserve judgement untill i see if the curse is still in play next year :D. The curse is the only excuse i can see for the amount of bad luck we had in this years semi.

Seriously though, finding a few more good forwards will be needed to challenge next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Would be hoping Roscommon could make a quarter final next year ( either through province or qualifiers ). We have a good young group of footballers who have had success at underage level so should look to really push on next year and the following years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Can I ask for your evidence that suggests Derry, Cavan, Laois and especially Sligo are anywhere near a QF?

Cavan scored 0-14 between the 2 games vs Armagh and Roscommon this year (I'm ignoring the Westmeath game, as Westmeath have lost 14 successive competitive matches since May 2013). Laois seem to be getting knocked out earlier and earlier each year, and Derry havent looked threatening in years. As for Sligo....well Sligo speak for themselves really.

I agree all these counties could be on the up, as they arent very high up to start with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Can I ask for your evidence that suggests Derry, Cavan, Laois and especially Sligo are anywhere near a QF?

Cavan scored 0-14 between the 2 games vs Armagh and Roscommon this year (I'm ignoring the Westmeath game, as Westmeath have lost 14 successive competitive matches since May 2013). Laois seem to be getting knocked out earlier and earlier each year, and Derry havent looked threatening in years. As for Sligo....well Sligo speak for themselves really.

I too would think that Cavan would be lucky to get a few games in the qualifiers next year never mind near the Ulster Final. It depends on injuries, players available and whether they put a strong league and Dr McKenna Cup campaign ahead of a championship run this year. Of course the luck of the draw will also play a huge part in how far Cavan get.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

I think Armagh will be the dark horse next year under McGeeney. He'll have them well organised plus they have few nice forwards that can give anyone trouble especially Clarke

• Registered Users Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Leinster
    Dublin - I don't think there is much else there

Munster
    Cork and Kerry get byes into the SF but may be draw against each other in the SF.
    Any Cork v Kerry game will be in Killarney and Kerry will be going 20 years without loosing a Championship game in Killarney.
    If Cork lose in a SF that means 3 games in the qualifiers and then a QF v a strong team from Ulster, Connaugh or Leinster
    If they lose the final it will be 1 game in the qualifier and then a QF v a strong team from Ulster, Connaugh or Leinster.*
    That may be the limit of Corks ambition in 2015.
    Kerry will win Munster
    Tipp may prosper in the qualifier depending on the draw

Connaught
    Mayo will have to add a bit of youth and depth to their squad, but they are still very strong regardless.
    Galway's progress may be stifled a bit because of the managerial change but if they meet Mayo it will be in Salthill and that will be to their advantage
    Roscommon will have to travel to Castlebar if they have to play Mayo and that will not suit them. They may have a good qualifier run depending on the draw

Ulster
    Poor quality but competitive dog fight. Depending on the draw someone may have an easy run, like Donegal in 2014, otherwise it's just attrition
    Armagh may prosper here under McGeeney as others have suggested.

All Ireland series
    If you have strong teams coming out of the provinces then they would be expected to win the QFs as has been the case since 2011.
    Leinster v Connaught in a Sf could be Dublin v Mayo.
    Dublin have to reassess their plans since the their embarrassment v Donagal, they have to become more rounded as a team, but that being said they are still very strong and will be hurting from their f**k up v Donegal, especially after the rubbish Donegal served up yesterday.

On the Connaught side Mayo would give Dublin a game but it may be a bridge too far for new players and manager, the same goes for Galway

Ulsetr v Leinster
    This is possibly Kerry v anyone, and even though Kerry got a northern monkey off their back yesterday they hardly set the world alight doing it, plus there will be a few retirements from this season so they may slip up here, but it totally depends on the position
    Any Ulster team will not be a real contender by the way and if they get past this stage they will not win the All Ireland.

The qualifiers are impossible to guess because of the draw, but if they go with the A\B system as last year that becomes a bit easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

It be the same as it ever was.

Would love to see Dublin have more stronger opposition from Leinster, won't be happening next year , so same as same as.

Dublin,Kerry,Donegal,Mayo/Cork and the rest will just follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

I'll eat my hat if that Kerry team defend the title; poorest side from the Kingdom I've ever seen to win an AI, poxed lucky to get over a badly set-up Mayo team in the semi', plus they'll surely lose a few to retirement. About the only good thing to be said about it is that it will give heart to an awful lot of moderate teams who may realise that if they survive long enough they'll have a chance also. For all the praise that Donegal received for their playing 'system', they didn't have enough good players when it came down to brass tacks. Mayo under Connelly may improve and I think they've dodged a bullet by not choosing McStay but it looks like they'll need a few new players to strengthen the team and even if they come in, they have to hit the ground running. Dublin at this remove still look the best bet and have a strong enough panel which probably needs to be tactically set up better.

Of the rest, Cork maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭harpsman

Leinster
    Dublin - I don't think there is much else there

Munster
    Cork and Kerry get byes into the SF but may be draw against each other in the SF.
    Any Cork v Kerry game will be in Killarney and Kerry will be going 20 years without loosing a Championship game in Killarney.
    If Cork lose in a SF that means 3 games in the qualifiers and then a QF v a strong team from Ulster, Connaugh or Leinster
    If they lose the final it will be 1 game in the qualifier and then a QF v a strong team from Ulster, Connaugh or Leinster.*
    That may be the limit of Corks ambition in 2015.
    Kerry will win Munster
    Tipp may prosper in the qualifier depending on the draw

Connaught
    Mayo will have to add a bit of youth and depth to their squad, but they are still very strong regardless.
    Galway's progress may be stifled a bit because of the managerial change but if they meet Mayo it will be in Salthill and that will be to their advantage
    Roscommon will have to travel to Castlebar if they have to play Mayo and that will not suit them. They may have a good qualifier run depending on the draw

Ulster
    Poor quality but competitive dog fight. Depending on the draw someone may have an easy run, like Donegal in 2014, otherwise it's just attrition
    Armagh may prosper here under McGeeney as others have suggested.

All Ireland series
    If you have strong teams coming out of the provinces then they would be expected to win the QFs as has been the case since 2011.
    Leinster v Connaught in a Sf could be Dublin v Mayo.
    Dublin have to reassess their plans since the their embarrassment v Donagal, they have to become more rounded as a team, but that being said they are still very strong and will be hurting from their f**k up v Donegal, especially after the rubbish Donegal served up yesterday.

On the Connaught side Mayo would give Dublin a game but it may be a bridge too far for new players and manager, the same goes for Galway

Ulsetr v Leinster
    This is possibly Kerry v anyone, and even though Kerry got a northern monkey off their back yesterday they hardly set the world alight doing it, plus there will be a few retirements from this season so they may slip up here, but it totally depends on the position
    Any Ulster team will not be a real contender by the way and if they get past this stage they will not win the All Ireland.

The qualifiers are impossible to guess because of the draw, but if they go with the A\B system as last year that becomes a bit easier

Lol- a Mayoman slagging off a team for playin poorly in the all ireland final- you just couldnt make it up. Played poorly alright but at least we can say we ve seen 2 Donegal men raise Sam aloft and when these boys hang up their boots they can do so with the satisfaction of knowing they were all ireland champions.

As for the rest of your post afair you were posting ad nauseum this this time last year how Kerry had no chance this year ill not be takin your predictions too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I dont think the fact that Kerry (The county universally recognised as the best in football, who are top of the roll of honour in the Senior, Minor, and National League, aswell as 2nd in the U21 and Junior championship rolls of honour, plus having more All Stars than any other county) won the All Ireland gives hope to anyone.

That's like Carlow seeing Kilkenny winning the All Ireland and reckoning they can too.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Will be tough for Kerry to keep Sam in the kingdom. For me they were very lucky in both the semi and final. Some key incidents really helped them IMO. Think back to the Mayo game, Aiden O Sheas unfortunate clash with COC. AOS probably wasn't 100% after that and is arguably Mayos most important player. Pretty sure Shane Enright should have seen red also in the 1st half. In the final obviously the mistake from a usually excellent goalkeeper probably won Kerry the game. But hey, I guess all teams need a certain percentage of things going their way to win Sam.
    As for other teams, can only see Dubs and Mayo at the minute challenging (along with Kerry). Big ask for Donegal to compete again. Really don't think that team is anywhere near the team of 2012. Also depends if JMcG stays on. Armagh under McGeeney should be interesting, will be looking to challenge for an Ulster. Galway should really push on hopefully under Kevin Walsh. They have some fantastic talent in the likes of Shane Walsh, Danny Cummins and Paul Conroy.

harpsman wrote: »
    Lol- a Mayoman slagging off a team for playin poorly in the all ireland final- you just couldnt make it up. Played poorly alright but at least we can say we ve seen 2 Donegal men raise Sam aloft and when these boys hang up their boots they can do so with the satisfaction of knowing they were all ireland champions.

As for the rest of your post afair you were posting ad nauseum this this time last year how Kerry had no chance this year ill not be takin your predictions too seriously.

Still a bit peed off after yesterday are we ?
    Reality is Donegal played terribly yesterday and Dublin will be kicking themselves for not beating them last month.

Yes I wrote Kerry off. But so did most people, including many very knowledgeable Kerry posters here.

And I'd go easy on the "whoopin and hollirin" about Donegal's All Ireland's.
    Ye still have one less than Mayo and a lot less than many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Connaught

Galway are actually due home games against Mayo, Roscommon and Sligo next year so depending on the draw they might never have to leave Salthill. Remains to be seen what Kevin Walsh does with them but if the young players keep improving and if Walsh can maybe organise them a bit more defensively than Mulholland could then they might have a decent shot at a Connacht title.

Hard to know though with both Galway and Mayo having new management in place. Roscommon will have their own ideas as well but having to play away to both Galway and Mayo next year makes it a bit more difficult for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭harpsman

Reality is Donegal played terribly yesterday and Dublin will be kicking themselves for not beating them last month.

Yes I wrote Kerry off. But so did most people, including many very knowledgeable Kerry posters here.

Lol even more. Hope u enjoyed those all ireland wins. How was the homecoming? Any funerals on the way??

And sure youd never hear of a Kerryman writin off his team unless he really believed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

deadybai wrote: »

A bad game against Dublin seems to have convinced people that Monaghan are a poor team again - they're not. There's a clear top 4 after this year, but Monaghan would still beat most teams outside of that. I don't know where your rationale of Galway and Tipp beating them right now comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

I hope I can over yesterdays loss a lot quicker than a lot of Mayo men seem to get over their losses. I'd also hope I don't turn into a bitter little boy towards Kerry in future years just because they happened to beat us.

Re Ulster teams to watch next year......it will all depend on how the draw turns out. Any of I'd only imagine four teams (Armagh, Donegal, Tyrone, Monaghan) will be a big test for whoever is lucky enough to get them in the SF. A lot will also depend on what happens in Donegal over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Princess13

I agree all these counties could be on the up, as they arent very high up to start with.

I can't speak for Derry or Laois but re reasons Cavan pushing for a QF spot:

1. They have won the last four Ulster U21 titles and this year pushed the eventual champions Dublin very close. Those are signs that they have talent coming through still.
    2. They won the AI Junior and Leinster titles this year. A sign that players are coming through and ready to make the step up.
    3. Only twelve months ago they did reach an All Ireland QF.
    4. They were undefeated in their seven games in Division 3 this year. That's not as easy as it sounds - Monaghan and Meath couldn't manage it last year when being promoted.
    5. They are making back room changes (which may turn out to be good or bad).

Cavan had an unsuccessful championship this year because they were crippled by injuries. Can you name many counties who wouldn't be effected by missing players such as Cian Mackey and Martin Dunne?

Only five of the team that started the QF versus Kerry in 2013 started the qualifier versus Roscommon this year. 7 to 8 players at least were missing for varying reasons. And unfortunately it was key players missing.

Also why just omit the Westmeath result? Westmeath were in Division 1 this year and will be in Division 2 next year. It's very selective to post scoring stats and ignore a game where Cavan scored 1-15 against a team in Division 1 this year, even when missing the key players mentioned above.

You also state these counties aren't very high up to start with. Derry are in Division 1 and made the final this year. Cavan have just been promoted to Division 2 and made a QF last year. Alot of counties would kill to be making that progress.

I hope that answered your question ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Had a good laugh leaving the ground on Sunday with people asking "I wonder how they'll manage to turn this into a soft All Ireland for us".

I knew I wouldn't have to go far to find out, and I had a suspicion I would know what county the rationalisations would come from as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Carlow!!!! With new management on board we will storm Leinster and represent great value e/w for all Ireland and to really hammer the bookies back them both football and hurling.............now what do they say about posting drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

keane2097 wrote: »
    Had a good laugh leaving the ground on Sunday with people asking "I wonder how they'll manage to turn this into a soft All Ireland for us".

I knew I wouldn't have to go far to find out, and I had a suspicion I would know what county the rationalisations would come from as well.

I can think of 3 counties straight off that would love a "soft All Ireland", jeez the nature of a knockout competition means you can't possibly beat everyone, only those put in front of you. I think it was quite evident last year and this that Eamonn Fitz had a gifted grasp on what's required to fulfill that need

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

From the 15 that started against Kerry in the 2013 AIQF,Cavan were missing 6 and two other key men Cian Mackey and Eugene Keating were badly crippled with injuries and couldn't train after the league final,for this years championship,so i wouldn't solely base expectations for Cavan in 2015 based on this years dire championship showings.
    I'd expect Armagh to get even better next year and i could see them reaching an All Ireland Semi final, and Down with Marty Clarke and Caolan Mooney back from Oz should also be far stronger.

I think Kerry should be put in as favourites for Sam next year. Apart from them winning it this year imagine their forwards with Cooper coming back and the possibility of Tommy Walsh as well . That forward line is as good if not better than anything else in the country. I would actually love to see Kerry v Dublin next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nicepoint

Blue giant wrote: »
    I think Kerry should be put in as favourites for Sam next year. Apart from them winning it this year imagine their forwards with Cooper coming back and the possibility of Tommy Walsh as well . That forward line is as good if not better than anything else in the country. I would actually love to see Kerry v Dublin next year.

Looks like Dublin's to lose for 2015, they will learn a lot from this year and know they cannot go all out attack again. Mayo have new management so it will be a 'transition' year for them :), Cork won't get much of a chance under their management and up north as always it's hard to tell. I'll go with Tyrone so win Ulster this year, Mickey Harte is obviously staying to surely give it one more go. As for my own county Kerry, it's would be really difficult to win back to back, and of course nobody will write them off this year so the unknown is gone.It would be great if they could but doubtful.

nicepoint wrote: »
    Looks like Dublin's to lose for 2015, they will learn a lot from this year and know they cannot go all out attack again. Mayo have new management so it will be a 'transition' year for them :), Cork won't get much of a chance under their management and up north as always it's hard to tell. I'll go with Tyrone so win Ulster this year, Mickey Harte is obviously staying to surely give it one more go. As for my own county Kerry, it's would be really difficult to win back to back, and of course nobody will write them off this year so the unknown is gone.It would be great if they could but doubtful.

The cute Kerry hoor putting all the pressure on others and playing down their chances. It truly is a sight to behold :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I hear the phrase used to define almost every AI win by Kerry- so can anyone actually explain to me what a soft All Ireland is?

1) Dublin were the team of their generation who were going to dominate
    2) Donegal had the unbeatable system and a tactical genius
    3) Cork were favourites in the Munster final and were going to dominate Munster due to Kerry's poor underage record (not actually that poor)
    4) Mayo were favourites 2 days in a row to beat Kerry and had made it further than Kerry in the last 2 championships

Kerry beat 3 of the above 4 other main AI contenders and never played Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭deadybai

shrewdness wrote: »
    A bad game against Dublin seems to have convinced people that Monaghan are a poor team again - they're not. There's a clear top 4 after this year, but Monaghan would still beat most teams outside of that. I don't know where your rationale of Galway and Tipp beating them right now comes from.

They were completely outplayed in the Ulster final, struggled vs Kildare and hammered by Dublin.They took a step forward in 2013 but two steps back this year. Id expect Armagh and Tyrone to pip them in Ulster. I actually support Monaghan in the football but just being realistic. Id like to see them do well. They are a decent team but every team near their level has raised the bar and I just see them being squeezed out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Galway football always seems to go in cycles more so than most other counties. They are gradually on the up again and I think its only a matter of time before they put in a big performance such as beating one of the big 4. I think next year will be crucial for them under Kevin Walsh. Mulholland laid some solid foundations, blooded a number of young players. For them the transitition is surely over. Its time to deliver. They shouldn't be losing to lesser teams with the talent they have available.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »

Not sure who is suggesting that Kerry got a 'soft All Ireland'
    I reckon they had to fight hard for it.

Donegal were no slouches, they were there on merit and beat the greatest team that every set foot on a field in any sport in the history for the modern and ancient worlds

Even though Donegal were brutal on the day Kerry were not a whole let better, some of their execution was terrible, and in the end the result of the Durkan error being the difference between them

Plus they had it tough in two games v Mayo.

The last soft All Ireland was won by Cork in 2010, their opponents were not seen for years before and have not been seen since

Advertisement