Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucy - New Luc Besson Film

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

saw it in IMAX, so it was rubbish in HD at least :P very pretty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

MeIsGod wrote: »
    Good first half hour everything after that was pants.
    Film tried to be too clever but it didn't work.

This.

I'm too pissed too type it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

This film is absolute drivel, the trailer made me wince but I thought I'd give it a crack anyways. I turned it off about half way through. Some of the dialogue is nonsensical even when you ignore the sci fi elements like the conversation with her mother on the phone. As for the premise around the potential of the human brain...:eek:

A steaming turd of a film that has somehow made an obscene amount of money. The perfect example of all that is wrong in Hollywood.

I too turned it off today at about the 50 minute mark. Moreover I was told that the ending was diabolical so just couldn't face it.

100% of the brain? More like brain dead crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I thought it was grand, very Anime like in its execution of trying too hard to be deep and meaningful and then cartoon like violence all in the same setting, I get what the director was doing and like how he handled Lucy's transformations, I found it an enjoyable action flick with little to come back to but overall enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

....absolute rubbish from start to finish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

This is Luc Besson's lobotomized "2001".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Watched this over the weekend (finally) on the basis of an interesting trailer (and Scarlett is in it!), first 20 mins were entertaining after that... woeful stuff culminating in Scarlett
    turning into a f**king USB stick as an ending

Very poor overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Thought this movie was pointless... and why the **** was it in 3D? So annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I'd been really looking forward to this and I thought it was utter sh(te.

UTTER sh(te.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Thought this movie was pointless... and why the **** was it in 3D? So annoying.
    Err, it wasn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

e_e wrote: »
    Err, it wasn't?

In the cinema I went to it was in 3D.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Roark

The first 20-30 mins were ok as others have said. It was awful after that. That ending! Can't unsee it. :'(

In the cinema I went to it was in 3D.
    First I've heard of a 3D version even existing. Where'd you see it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Dempsey wrote: »
    This film is absolute drivel, the trailer made me wince but I thought I'd give it a crack anyways. I turned it off about half way through. Some of the dialogue is nonsensical even when you ignore the sci fi elements like the conversation with her mother on the phone. As for the premise around the potential of the human brain...:eek:

A steaming turd of a film that has somehow made an obscene amount of money. The perfect example of all that is wrong in Hollywood.

How did you turn it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

allibastor wrote: »
    How did you turn it off?

By closing vlc player

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Alex1983

I give the film 6/10

I think this page alone leads me to believe that this is the most underrated and misunderstood film of the year. Hell even the things people hate about it are exactly what I loved.

Whereas the consensus seems to seems to be that this is a dumb film that thinks it's smart I actually find it to be the reverse. It's an absolutely ridiculous and laughable (to a point) premise that is the jumping point for very witty direction on Besson's part. Honestly I can see this becoming a genuine cult classic for its weirdness, absurdity and boldness. Embrace the silliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ummm no, I didn't misunderstand anything thanks. Everything sh1t isn't automatically "cult" you know, some things are just bad, like this film.

• Advertisement

Don't say things like "it's just bad", that silences the discussion in a needless way. I don't think the cult argument works at all either, there are many bad films every year that sink and then are completely forgotten about. Are those cult?

Anyway I didn't say you in particular misunderstood it, but when I read negative reviews elsewhere rating the film down for being purposefully absurd and not adhering to scientific fact I can't help but think that they watched with the wrong frame of mind. As if they expected the film to be entirely realistic and critically correct the 100% premise.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Don't say things like "it's just bad", that silences the discussion in a needless way. I don't think the cult argument works at all either, there are many bad films every year that sink and then are completely forgotten about. Are those cult?

Anyway I didn't say you in particular misunderstood it, but when I read negative reviews elsewhere rating the film down for being purposefully absurd and not adhering to scientific fact I can't help but think that they watched with the wrong frame of mind. As if they expected the film to be entirely realistic and critically correct the 100% premise.

Gimme a slice of absurdity any day of the week...not sure bout anyone else but I thought it was sh!t cus of appalling acting and a cack script.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I just cant get over the use of the stock footage and Morgan freemans droning nonsense, would it have killed them to get a science writer to write something that wasnt so insulting?

Both of those things were just really amusing to me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Watched this last night... I don't know what some people here were expecting TBH

It gets very "out there" towards the end alright but it moves along pretty well and keeps your attention - but on that ending: She's not actually a USB stick :rolleyes: She tells Freeman that she's going to build something to store the knowledge she's accumulated and will give him access to it - all she gave him was a key. As she cannibalised/absorbed existing computers to do it, presumably she IS now "everywhere" (as she sends to the cop's phone) - like Skynet was in T3 for example.

Oh as for the love interest - that wasn't the idea either. She kisses him and says it's a reminder, which I took to mean to have him around to help keep her focussed on the job while her mind expanded exponentially.

I enjoyed it myself - if anything I thought it was a bit short alright and I was rooting for her just to kill the mob gang and be done with it so we could focus on what was happening to her.

Solid blockbuster that doesn't wear out its welcome and has some great effects - and Scarlett is always worth watching :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Even if i think it did could a little mad in the end I loved it, The bit where she's on the phone to her mam is brillaint you could nearly feel the pain she was going through

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

It always amuses me that THE FRENCH are proud of THEIR CAPITAL. THE YANKS seem to be cowardly with their CITY STREETS. Another decent car chase THRU Paris in LUCY.

The rest of the film isn't half bad either.

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

razorblunt wrote: »
    Awful, one of the worst big budget movies I've seen in some time.
    Nowadays, $40 million is not a "big" budget.

I just watched this tonight and loved it. Without credits, 80 minutes of pure fun. Yes, the "10% of our brains" thing is a myth, but in the world of this film, it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Nowadays, $40 million is not a "big" budget.

I just watched this tonight and loved it. Without credits, 80 minutes of pure fun. Yes, the "10% of our brains" thing is a myth, but in the world of this film, it isn't.

If it's more than I can rustle up in a fire sale of my assets then it's big budget!

Let's say cinematic experience so as a replacement term, I still found it awful I have to say.

• Advertisement

Just after watching this and I think that it may be the most joyful, ridiculously over the top piece of ambitious nonsense that I have seen in a very long time. It's like Besson saw Crank and decided to meld that approach to his style and then just went insane. Visually it is easily the most beautiful film of the year and reminded me quite a lot of Malick, in fact if Malick ever did an action film I imagine that Lucy is close to what we'd get. With blockbusters generally approaching the 3 hour mark it's incredibly satisfying to find a Summer film that can tell it's story in 82 minutes and yet leave you eager for another hour or two runtime. It has been a long time since I've enjoyed a film this much and while the middle is a little flat those opening 20 or so minutes and those final 20 are amongst the best cinema in years and I cannot wait to watch the film again.

I cannot understand how people dislike the film, it seems that people hate it for exactly the reasons that I fell in love with it. Complaining that the science isn't based on fact is just a ridiculous reason to dislike the film when you consider that Besson himself has stated that he knew the whole 10% thing was a myth but that used it because it made for a better set up.

Advertisement