Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

i was referring to players KIB need back playing next year and meant to say David Tubridy,Gordon Kelly and Gary Brennan were top players that would make any team in the country.From what I heard the Coughlan and the Hickeys didnt train for a couple before championship so didnt feature against Waterford or Offaly.Darren Hickey was Munster club player of the year and Shane Hickey and enda Coughlan 2 of the most consistent players in club football over the last 5 years.clare need these lads committed next year.

what players would you call up user friendly?Colm Dillon(Doonbeg)had a good campaign this year,would like see him back in Clare set up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

What players would i call up myself?? mmmhh now that you put it like that:D a bit more difficult than just nit picking at players that another poster suggests.

I wonder has all the Hype gone to young Noel downes head? f--k me anytime i picked up the clare ppl last year the reporters were creaming themselves at his performances.I know he had a groin injury earlier in the year but if he was fit he could be an addition. Then again He would want to play for clare. Playing football for KIB is priority for these lads imo.Last year _?__?___?___ turned up for clares initial training camps,got the gear,i saw 1 or 2 named in matchday programmes but they never came back to the set up.

Gordon kelly gives everything for the cause when playing,his brother greame gives everything also. Jease i cant think of anyone that hasnt already been called up,but thats the key to getting promotion,getting players who will give it 100% from the start of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

Clareman wrote: »
    John Maughan brought in a great self belief and team ethic in the late 80s/early 90s, we need someone like this again :)

indeed. joe kernan would be my first choice
    there are munster titles there to be won definately
    i'm not saying we'd go any further really, but a few munster titles would bring pride back to the county

2nd choice would be to take a gamble on liam mchale

Liam machale?????????? sur hes part of the set up already.

If the galway co board cant pay for big joe and his entourage,then clare wont be able.Thats the reason he resigned from Galway,the county board couldnt sustain the expenses.
    Hes just a one trick pony in my view:eek::D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't think any experienced manager would be interested in the Clare job, I don't think the county board would stump up the expenses either after Paudie :)

Personally I would go back to a Maughan type manager, an eager young manager from outside who will bring the players together

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    I don't think any experienced manager would be interested in the Clare job, I don't think the county board would stump up the expenses either after Paudie :)

Personally I would go back to a Maughan type manager, an eager young manager from outside who will bring the players together

Now there lies the problem................ A hell of a lot of players in clare wont commit to the county...... its not worth the effort,sorry but i dont blame them either,Training hard in january for Div 4 league in February and march? no thanks.

Now in saying this....... i honestly admire the players who do make the effort and commit to playing for our county.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Yeah, I'd agree, 1 of the biggest obstacles to all teams in Clare is getting the dressing room right, we've all heard stories of teams in the past refusing to pass the ball to other players because of of silly rivalry, when we've gotten a manager in place to get rid of this we have had some good periods (hurling and football). Get someone in and give them 5 years to build things up, target getting to division 2 or something, if the players see structure and a target they will play. We also have some good players coming up underage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Waterford Crystal Cup 2011

16/01/2011 Clare v ITT

23/01/2011 Clare v LIT(if Clare beat ITT)

McGrath Cup 2011

09/01/2011 Clare v UCC

16/01/2011 Clare v CIT(if Clare beat UCC)

Well done St Breckans on your q final victory today in Munster.

this was my first time viewing the facilities in Lisdoonvarna and i was mightly impressed. well done to everybody concerned for putting on a great show.

Breckans have some beautiful footballers and will be hard to beat.

Clare footballers have recruited 4 players from outside the county.
    the new players on Clare panel.are Mick Ahern-Meath,Niall Browne-Kildare,Declan O'Reilly-Cavan and David O'Connor-Dublin.Last year they had Barry Toner-Armagh and Scott Kinnevan-Mayo on panel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

Well done St Breckans on your q final victory today in Munster.

this was my first time viewing the facilities in Lisdoonvarna and i was mightly impressed. well done to everybody concerned for putting on a great show.

Breckans have some beautiful footballers and will be hard to beat.

Beaten today in the final 1.11 to 0.7. Hard luck to the lads, but a great achievement to get that far

http://www.hoganstand.com/Clare/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=140097
    Vaughan to skipper Banner
    04 January 2011

Pat Vaughan will captain the Clare hurlers in the coming season.

The Crusheen clubman is expected to skipper the side for the first time in a challenge match against Wexford this weekend ahead of the Waterford Crystal Cup opening round clash against IT Tralee on January 16. Vaughan takes over the captaincy from Brian O'Connell, who is currently travelling. Last year's under 21 captain, John Conlon, has been appointed vice-captain.

Banner County boss Ger 'Sparrow' O'Loughlin is without 14 players, who are committed to their college sides, for the Waterford Crystal Cup, while Mark Flaherty, Alan Markham, Michael Scanlon and Martin Murphy are among those who haven't been included in his 2011 squad.

Must say I didn't expect Alan Markham not to be in the squad! I think Vaughan is a good choice, with Conlon providing a link between the senior and junior players in the squad.

Anyone know where the challenge match is being played? Would like to see it!

Good start to the season for the Clare footballers. Close game I heard.

McGrath Cup - Clare 1-13 UCC 0-13

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Good start to the year for Clare football, hope it continues....
    Clohessy to the fore as Banner boys fight back
    Clare 1-13
    UCC 0-13

Monday January 10 2011

Clare put in an impressive second-half performance to see off University College Cork at Cooraclare yesterday.

A little ring rusty in the opening half, the Banner boys upped the ante considerably in the second and outscored their opponents by eight points to two.

UCC were reliant in the main on free-taker Daithi Casey for scores.

The Kerry native landed eight of their 11-point first-half tally and he added another after the break, before being surprisingly replaced 14 minutes into the second period.

At the break the students led by 0-11 to 1-5, with big full-forward Timmy Ryan striking Clare's goal in the 17th minute, after he was set up by Rory Donnelly.

Improved

The students failed to build on their first-half showing, however, as Clare significantly upped their performance after the restart -- a point from Diarmuid Daly levelled the scores in the 56th minute.

Alan Clohessy then gave them the lead for the first time before a Mark Collins score for the Cork college levelled matters once more on 59 minutes.

But it was to be UCC's last score, as Clare forged ahead and clinched victory with scores by Clohessy once more and a brace of points by midfielder Gary Brennan.

The winners now face an away quarter-final against Cork Institute of Technology on Sunday.

Scorers -- Clare: A Clohessy 0-7 (0-4 f), T Ryan 1-1, G Brennan 0-2 (0-1f), D O'Brien, R Donnelly, D Daly 0-1 each. UCC: D Casey 0-9f, M Collins 0-2, K O'Driscoll, P Honohan 0-1 each.

Clare -- Joe Hayes; N White, Healy, Gordon Kelly (capt); M McMahon, S McNeilis, Graham Kelly; G Brennan, C Ryan; C O'Connor,D O'Brien, D Daly; R Donnelly, T Ryan, A Clohessy.

Subs: John Hayes for Graham Kelly (43), M Foran for O'Brien (45), E Lyons for Donnelly (59), D O'Neill for Ryan (62).

UCC -- D Farry; D Og O Donovan, E O'Mahon,L Jennings; P Crowley, A Greany (capt), M Daly; J Buckley, K O'Driscoll; M Collins, D Casey, JB Spillane; P Honohan, S Hannifin, S O'Brien. Subs: M Griffin for Casey (49), P Galvin for O'Donovan (55), S Beston for Hannafin (60).

Ref -- P O'Sullivan (Kerry)

Irish Independent

Emigration is seriously effecting the football panel it seems. Not to mention it's effect on hurling with previous team captain Brian O' Connell having left to go to Australia for the foreseeable future.

Clare hoping for green light on 'parentage rule'

Michael McDermott is hoping that his Clare side will get the go ahead to use the 'parentage rule', which allows weaker counties to recruit players from outside their borders.

McDermott has claimed that they "need every help we can get" and has already recruited three forwards in Kildare pair Niall Browne and Adrian Cahill and Dublin native David O'Connor, whose parents are from Clare and are willing to line-out with the Banner County.

Clare, who had their squad badly hit by emigration, are not included in the 'weaker' counties Park at present, which could prevent McDermott from strengthening his panel, and will need the management committee - who meet this weekend - to add them to the list

"There were five or six other fellas who did well in the club championships last summer that I was really hopeful of bringing into the panel, but they have all emigrated since too, so we've lost a lot more than it looked initially," McDermott told the Irish Independent.

Clare defeated UCC 1-13 to 0-13 in their McGrath Cup opener last Sunday and are hoping to have ace forward David Tubridy back fit from a groin injury to face Cork IT this weekend.

Waterford Crystal Cup

Clare v IT Tralee @ Sixmilebridge 2.00pm

McGrath Cup

Clare v CIT @ Cooraclare 2.00pm

Anyone attend the game in cooraclare last week? how much were they charging at the gate? i assume they were charging:confused:

They normally charge a couple of euros for the game, usually goes to the local club I think, not usually more that €5 I think

Clare played NUIG in challenge game last week

NUIG 1-12 Clare 0-12
    In a senior football challenge at Tubber on Sunday, a strong first-half performance laid the foundations for a victory for the John Maughan -managed NUI Galway side.
    With their competitive season set to start this week when they take on UCC in the first round of the McGrath Cup, Clare manager Micheál McDermott availed of the opportunity to give a run out to the majority of the squad.
    The visitors, who are in training for the Sigerson Cup, which will be staged in Dublin at the end of February, dominated the opening half and led at the interval on a scoreline of 0-10 to 0-3.
    The winners' half-back and half-forward lines were prominent, particularly in the opening half and this led to a number of their scores.
    Clare re-organised their outfit for the second half and did much better but a goal for the students, 10 minutes from time, proved decisive.
    Among the regulars who were unavailable for Clare on the day were Gary Brennan, David Tubridy, Rory Donnelly and Ger Quinlan, who is presently on honeymoon. David O'Brien from St Joseph's kicked four points in the second half.

Clare: Joe Hayes; Niall White, Lawrence Healy, Dean Ryan; Graham Kelly, Gordon Kelly, John Hayes; Cathal O'Connor, Niall Browne; Diarmuid Daly, Michael Foran, Kevin Harnett; Alan Clohessy, Timmy Ryan, Shane Brennan.
    Subs: Martin McMahon, David O'Connor, Barry Duggan, Ogie Murphy, Conor Ryan, David O'Brien, Enda Lyons, Keith Ryan, Darren O'Neill, Barry Hartnett and Ger Fannin.

Although the Clare senior footballers were beaten by NUIG last Sunday in an early season challenge game played in Tubber, their league preparations will ratchet up a few notches in Cooraclare this weekend.
    Clare will play UCC in the first round of the McGrath Cup on Sunday at 2pm. The winners will play Cork IT a week later in the quarter-final. Clare will be without David Tubridy (injury), Ger Quinlan, who is on honeymoon and Kevin Hartnett who will be playing with Tralee IT in the same tournament. They will also be minus Adrian Cahill, Niall Browne and David O’Connor, all of whom are attempting to declare for Clare although they are not from the county.
    Their eligibility has yet to be confirmed though as Clare have to be designated as a weaker county by central council. That is due to happen in the coming weeks.
    “It would have been ideal to have them for this weekend,” Clare manager Micheál McDermott, who is starting his second year managing the senior county team, said.
    Enda Coughlan, Michael O’Shea and David Russell, all of whom were part of the 2010 squad, are not on the panel and it looks unlikely that they will return.
    “They are not part of it at the moment,” McDermott confirmed.
    Ger Quinlan is away for six weeks so he will be missing the first two matches in the national league. But he has been training hard himself in the gym over the last two months and is in good shape,” the former Kilmurry-Ibrickane manager added.
    Despite the absence of a number of experienced players, McDermott feels that the 2011 squad is an improvement on last year’s.
    “We feel we have a stronger panel this year, than we had last year and there’s going to be an opportunity for lads to step up to the plate and put their marker down this Sunday to maybe get a place on the team going into the national league,” he suggested.
    The winter training ban means that county teams should not have been training collectively until January 1. McDermott feels that this ensures a lack of sharpness amongst county teams early in the season.
    “The football side of it probably wouldn’t be as sharp as it should be but they’ve done a good gym programme themselves over the last two months. I’d be expecting a good performance despite not having played a lot of football,” he maintained.
    UCC face a particularly long trip from Cork to Cooraclare and it’s questionable why the game wasn’t fixed for Shannon, Cratloe or Sixmilebridge, which would have considerably cut the ­journey from the southern capital. Still Micheál McDermott expects UCC to provide Clare with a strenuous early season test.
    “From what I believe with UCC I think they’re in the final of the college league against NUIG. That was supposed to be played before Christmas but it wasn’t because of the weather. But the fact that they are coming into Sigerson, they are going to be in good shape and their pace probably would be ahead of us at the moment,” he said.
    Twelve months ago, Clare were knocked out of the McGrath Cup in the opening round by UCC on a 0-12 to 0-9 scoreline. Clare led 0-4 to 0-0 after just nine minutes but were eventually well beaten by the students.
    “We have to worry about our own game and play the type of football that we’re hoping to play.
    “That’s based around a fast moving, high-intensity game. That’s what we’re looking to do this year and build on last year,” McDermott said.
    “We’ve a strong panel of 30 players at the moment and I think we’ll have a strong 15 on Sunday,” he believes.
    Clare will start their Division 4 NFL campaign on Sunday, February 6 when they play Leitrim in Carrick-on-Shannon. The McGrath Cup will help them to warm up for the league and if Clare are to mount a meaningful bid to escape from Division 4, they should be making progress in the McGrath Cup.
    Games in that tournament would be significantly more ­helpful than playing challenge games.
    The management team of Micheál McDermott, Liam McHale and James Foran are now in year two of their tenure and know their players well. Their immediate objective will be to start the league campaign with a win in Leitrim but a decent run in the McGrath Cup would be a big help towards preparing for a concerted cut at the league.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

I'd like to see McHale take full control of the team.
    according to a number of players in the current panel he is the man pulling the strings and can take the credit for the improvement shown this season already

Does anyone know if the hurling squads training sessions are open to the public?

Waterford Crystal Cup
    Clare 1-19 IT Tralee 2-13

We played well in the first half with the wind behind our backs, but when we came back out we were shocking. Most of the 2nd half Tralee were consistenly beating us to the ball, but a resurgence saved us. Very close. Waterford will be a challenge, and Davy was not impressed today!

McGrath Cup

Clare 0-10 CIT 0-9

Clare footballers face Waterford next week.

Clare v Waterford double header!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Match reports from both games..... 2 wins good stuff

Footballers
    Wasteful Banner find finishing kick
    Clare 0-10
    Cork IT 0-9

Monday January 17 2011

Clare overcame some wayward shooting to see off CIT at Cooraclare yesterday and book their place in the semi-final.

Having defeated UCC in the opening round a week earlier at the same venue, Clare were lucky their opponents failed to convert their chances as the students hit seven wides after the break. Clare themselves were guilty of some poor shooting, particularly in the first half when they had eight wides.

The sides were level, 0-4 each, at half-time but a better return after the break from the hosts saw them through.

Clare led 0-6 to 0-4 by the 47th minute before Donal Og Hodnett and sub Andy O'Brien drew CIT level. But Clare scores by Alan Clohessy and Darren O'Neill kept their side ahead and when David Tubridy pointed a long-range free with five minutes remaining, he put the home team 0-10 to 0-7 in front. CIT's O'Brien then hit two late frees but Clare held on.

Scorers -- Clare: D Tubridy (1f), A Clohessy (2f) 0-3 each, R Donnelly 0-2, D O'Brien (f), D O'Neill 0-1 each.

CIT: A O'Brien 0-4 (2f), BJ Walsh (1f), D Og Hodnett (2f) 0-2 each, P O'Driscoll 0-1.

Clare -- Joe Hayes; N White, L Healy, M McMahon; Graham Kelly, Gordon Kelly (capt) John Hayes; G Brennan, C O'Connor; D Daly, S McNeilis, D O'Brien; R Donnelly, T Ryan, A Clohessy. Subs: D Tubridy for G Brennan (inj, 13), S Brennan for O'Brien (h-t), D O'Neill for McNeilis (43).

CIT -- B Walsh; B McGuire, S O'Donoghue, R O'Dwyer; P Minihane, B Russell, C O'Driscoll; P Daly, S O'Hare; P O'Driscoll, BJ Walsh, R Power; J Dinneen, H Curran, D Óg Hodnett. Subs: A Walsh for Daly (inj, 8), B O'Regan for McGuire (h-t), S Kelleher for P O'Driscoll (40), A O'Brien for Dinneen (50), W O'Mahony for Hodnett (inj, 56).

Ref -- K O'Brien (Tipperary).

Hurlers
    Morey denies plucky Tralee

Clare 1-19
    IT Tralee 2-13

Monday January 17 2011

Clare were fortunate to make a winning start to their season when a strong finish accounted for IT Tralee at Sixmilebridge.

Five minutes from time, Tralee held a three-point lead but a late surge by Clare saw them score 1-3 without reply to secure the victory.

Clare led by just two points -- 0-11 to 1-6 -- at the break and failed to score in the third quarter, by which time the students were leading 2-9 to 0-11. Clare outscored IT Tralee 0-5 to 0-1 to draw level but three points from Eoin Ryan had Tralee three clear.

Sub Caimin Morey then picked off some good points for the winners and he also scored their goal, kicking home after Tralee goalie Gary Murphy had made a save from Conor Tierney.

Scorers -- Clare: C Morey 1-5, C Ryan 0-5, C Tierney 0-3, N

O'Connell 0-2, C O'Donovan, F Lynch, D McMahon, J Conlon 0-1 each. IT Tralee: E Ryan 1-9, N Quaid 1-0, C Goode, T Downes, M Kiely, B Maxwell 0-1 each.

Clare -- K Brennan; M Earley, J McInerney, C O'Doherty; B

Donnellan, G Quinn, C Chaplin; N O'Connell, C O'Donovan; C Tierney, F Lynch, C Ryan; D Morey, D McMahon, E Hayes. Subs: J Gunning for O'Doherty, C Morey for Hayes, J O'Connor for D Morey, J Conlon for McMahon, C Dillon for Donnellan.

IT Tralee -- G Murphy; S Guilfoyle, O Gately, P Moriarty; B

Murphy, M Deegan, M Cleary; N Quaid, J Leahy; C Goode, E Ryan, T Downes; M Kiely, F Kennedy, J Riordan. Subs: K Maher for Murphy, B Maxwell for Leahy.

Ref -- C Lyons (Cork).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

More good news for Clare Football in 2011 with the addition of the 3 players through the GAA'S parentage rule.

2 Kildare players: Niall Browne and Adrian Cahill and 1 from Dublin in David O'Connor.

Central council has approved the transfers but it is now up to there own counties to ratify the transfer.

Michael McDermott states that they will definitely strengthen his panel.

Change to above fixtures: Waterford Crystal Cup, Clare v LIT @ Sixmilebridge Sat 1.00pm

Clare Football Panel 2011-judging by who featured in McGrath Cup and challenge games

Joe Hayes-Lissycasey
    Keith Ryan-Shannon Gaels
    Niall White-Doora-Barefield
    Laurence Healy-Ennistymon
    Gordon Kelly-Milltown
    Graham Kelly-Milltown
    John Hayes-Kilrush
    Martin McMahon-Kilmurray Ibrickane
    Shane McNeilis-Kildysart
    Dean Ryan-Eire Og
    Barry Duggan-Cratloe
    Ogie Murphy-Cratloe
    Darren ONeill-Eire Og
    Barry Hartnett-Meelick
    Kevin Harnett-Meelick
    Gary Brennan-Clondegad
    Ger Quinlan-OCurrys
    Conor Ryan-Cratloe
    Niall Browne-Two Mile House
    Michael Foran-OCurrys
    Cathal OConnor-Coolmeen
    David OBrien-Doora-Barefield
    Rory Donnelly-Cooraclare
    Diarmuid Daly-Corofin
    Alan Clohessy-Liscannor
    David Tubridy-Doonbeg
    Enda Lyons-Doora-Barefield
    David OConnor-St Brigids
    Adrian Cahill-Celbridge
    Timmy Ryan-Kilmihill
    Shane Brennan-Clondegad
    Ger Fannin-Doora-Barefield

pity to see only one player each from Doonbeg and Kilmurray Ibrickane featuring so far.Would like see Colm Dillon,Shane Ryan,Shane OBrien,Frank ODea(Doonbeg),Enda Coughlan,Noel Downes,Mark McCarthy,Darren Hickey(Kilmurray Ibrickane) on panel

Clare beat LIT at a very cold Sixmilebridge! 2-16 to 0-15 I think.. was too cold to work it out!

We were playing catch up with LIT for first half and 10 minutes of 2nd half but we got a burst of energy after the first goal. Won it out well; but a worrying trend is a lack of catching high balls. In fairness though, in that cold I wouldn't have caught a sliothar either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

eroo wrote: »
    Clare beat LIT at a very cold Sixmilebridge! 2-16 to 0-15 I think.. was too cold to work it out!

We were playing catch up with LIT for first half and 10 minutes of 2nd half but we got a burst of energy after the first goal. Won it out well; but a worrying trend is a lack of catching high balls. In fairness though, in that cold I wouldn't have caught a sliothar either!!

It was 3-14 to 15 points. Thats a pretty good victory over a solid college side.

• Advertisement

McGrath Cup: Clare 1-10 Waterford 0-10

This means we face Kerry in the McGrath Cup final. I would love to see this but a
    I'm working unfortunately.

Waterford Crystal Cup: Clare 3-14 LIT 0-15

We now face Waterford in the quarter final.

A good week for Clare GAA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement