Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maps to the Stars (David Cronenberg)

Options
  • 26-09-2014 9:29pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭

(is it just me, or is that one of the most poorly edited trailers ever released?)

Out today, David Cronenberg takes on Hollywood, and it proves to be as idiosyncratic a journey as one would expect from the man.

What seems to start off as another in a long-line of self-aware Hollywood satires soon spirals off in quite a few directions. Yes, that satirical bent is present throughout and is biting (a commentary on the corrupting influence Hollywood has on child stars seems most pronounced), but there are also ghost stories, dark family secrets, psychologically probing character studies and brewing violence in these here frames.

It's a film that oozes unease, and at times is reminiscent of Mullholland Drive in both setting and surrealist, nightmarish tangents. Yet it is a David Cronenberg film through and through, full of blackly comic moments, provocation and casual cruelty. Like most of his recent films, the pacing is all over the place and the direction is functional but indistinct in some respects. Overall, though, it's his most consistently interesting efforts in a while (although Cosmopolis was worth a watch, and would serve as an interesting comparative study with this), and has that hard-to-describe and unusually unhinged edge that has defined many of his best efforts over the years.

Oh, and the game cast doesn't hurt. Julianne Moore is great, and John Cusack effectively plays against type, although some of the performers don't have enough screentime to make a major impact (Olivia Williams and Robert Pattinson particularly). Mia Wasikowska once again proves herself to be perhaps the most talented and versatile young actress working today - long may she continue to choose strong scripts and directors to work with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Ive read some of the reviews to the film and it sounds great. Indeed, some were making references to the player. As for that trailer :eek: Its like having drunk half a bottle of vodka and gone channel hopping at super sonic speed. Simply weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Went to see this today and found it a little underwhelming. I'm a fan of Cronenberg but this fell short for me.

The performances were good all round especially Moore and Wasikowska. The script was a weak link for me, often deflating scenes and leaving a bad taste afterwards.

On the plus side I enjoyed the creepy atmosphere and darker moments which often had a wicked humour to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Julianne Moore seems to be getting quite a bit of Oscar buzz, her role sounds like Norma from Sunset Boulevard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

grizzly wrote: »
    Went to see this today and found it a little underwhelming. I'm a fan of Cronenberg but this fell short for me.

The performances were good all round especially Moore and Wasikowska. The script was a weak link for me, often deflating scenes and leaving a bad taste afterwards.

On the plus side I enjoyed the creepy atmosphere and darker moments which often had a wicked humour to them.

It's mid table Cronenberg for me, it's a step up the after very average Cosmopolis and A Dangerous Method but not a patch on Eastern promises or A History of Violence. The reason for watching it is for Julianne Moore's performance alone which is modern day Norman Desmond. Also praise must go to Evan Bird, who plays it like Justin Bieber ramped up a 100% but he's someone you feel for too. Mia Wasikowska is at her strongest when she's playing off centre and she's amazing here. It's nice to see John Cusack play a bit of a villain. Pattinson you feel is probably stunt casting in a underwritten role and Olivia Williams does her best in a otherwise underwritten role.

Loved wicked humour too
    Moore on the toilet is one scene that comes to mind
    and some shocking Cronenberg moments
    Cusack beating Wasikowska, Wasikowska bashing Moore's head in and Bird killing the young ginger kid
    . It's still a great film overall but it wouldn't trouble my Cronenberg top 5

1. Dead Ringers (Irons performances alone and Cronenberg at his creepy best, considering it was a true story which is scary)
    2. A History of Violence
    3. Videodrome
    4. Eastern Promises
    5. The Fly

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Julianne Moore seems to be getting quite a bit of Oscar buzz, her role sounds like Norma from Sunset Boulevard

As Mark Kermode said "she should win the Oscar but she won't". It's too dark and wrapped film for Oscars too give it to her. She deserves for her career alone and this been her best performance. But she has a role coming out soon called Still Alice, where she's playing a doctor who is stricken with Alzheimer's. I think they will throw it for that rather then this film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Great film! Deliciously twisted in a funny and compelling way. Julianne Moore was great of course but I was also amazed by Wasikowska here too. After Only Lovers Left Alive and the very different performance in this she really seems like an actor who can disappear into a role.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Enjoyed it up until the last 20 minutes when it completely lost the plot. It also contains the worst CG effect I've seen in a long time (if you've seen it you know what I'm talking about). I know it's low budget, but there's no excuse for that in 2014.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I actually meant to mention that CGI bit. Given it is intended as a key scene, it definitely is far too shoddy. Bizarre that managed to get through quality control.

e_e wrote: »
    Great film! Deliciously twisted in a funny and compelling way. Julianne Moore was great of course but I was also amazed by Wasikowska here too. After Only Lovers Left Alive and the very different performance in this she really seems like an actor who can disappear into a role.

It's Moore film all the way. although no one is given enough love To Evan Bird who is also amazing. It's a tough role for a young lad to pull off.

Mia is top quality when she's playing off kilter roles for me. She's not at her best in blockbusters really, I think if she goes the Julianne Moore route she will have a more successful career.

Planemo wrote: »
    Enjoyed it up until the last 20 minutes when it completely lost the plot. It also contains the worst CG effect I've seen in a long time (if you've seen it you know what I'm talking about). I know it's low budget, but there's no excuse for that in 2014.

you mean
    Williams setting herself on fire
    yeah a bit dodgy but nothing that was "oh come on" about it really.

I have a question I need answering did
    John Cusack kill himself or did he just lose his insanity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

While I enjoyed the film, I am sceptical of the praise heaped upon it by the likes of Mark Kermode, a well known Cronenberg devotee. Satires about the mechanics of the Hollywood film industry are nothing new; they go all the way back to the 1950s and Sunset Boulevard, to which Maps to the Stars owes quite a bit.

Julianne Moore gave an excellent performance, though it was hardly revelatory. She has always proven herself capable of intension emotion on screen (note the in-joke when her agent tells her a director she is desperate to work with is 'no PT Anderson'). John Cusack, on the other hand, I found unconvincing, and I say that as an admirer of many of his earlier performances, as in Grosse Point Blank and Say Anything.

There were some interesting aesthetic choices, such as the propensity for Howard Shore's music to swell before suddenly cutting to silence and the next scene. But there were also some grindingly clunky lines of dialogue ("For a disfigured schizophrenic you've got the town pretty wired").

Cronenberg is nothing if not an auteur, and his omnipresent obsessions with flesh can be scene both in the graphic sex scenes and in the burn-marks on Mia Wasikowska's face. It was fun seeing billion dollar franchises parodied in a film starring Robert Pattinson. An interesting companion piece for Maps to the Stars could be In A World, also released this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Just got this one cooking on the HD, son, I'll let you know later what I think of the master's latest investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Thanks dad!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

I have this beauty cooking on the HD. Nothing nicer than looking forward to
    the latest Cronenberg. Possibly the last living director anybody has any interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Possibly the last living director anybody has any interest in.

Really? I didn't think he had such broad appeal.

Finally got around to watching this and I'm quite torn, on one hand Hollywood is the perfect world for Cronenberg to delve into with his obsession of all things body horror. One can easily view the extremes by which so many celebrities go to retain their youth as the ultimate in body horror and is something that Cronenberg's son Brandon explored in his rather interesting debut Antiviral.

Maps to the Stars sets out to explore the manner in which Hollywood has the past decades replaced religion for so many, it has changed how we feel, behave and live our daily lives with so many stars being offered up as some ideal manifestation of man.

In Cronenberg's capable hands the idea of Hollywood as a dream factory is wonderfully explored, especially in the manner through which he views the mythological nature of celebrity drawing contrasts between it and works such as Oedipus. Much like in Oedipus, Maps to the Stars is a tale of how the corruption of family destroys all, much like an apple rotten at the core the only way to save the harvest is through self-emulation. There are a great number of themes and dynamics at play here but few of the various strands ever really come together in a satisfactory manner. Much like in Cosmopolis, the film at times feels like a series of vignettes which while linked thematically lack a coherent center around which to build. Visually the film is rather muted and cries out for a coherent style. The shot on digital sheen gives the film a rather artificial feel which makes for an interesting comment on the artificial nature of Hollywood but one feels that this is more accident than purpose.

Where the film really shines is in the performances. Julianne Moore is exceptional as an aging actress desperate for that one role upon which she can rebuild her career. The film belongs to her and an early scene where she engages in a threesome with her boyfriend and another woman is one of the years best moments. It's a wonderfully understated and subtle scene which allows Cronenberg to explore the nature of alienation in a rather subdued way. The scene slips repeatedly into fantasy as Havana's sense of isolation and discomfort come to the fore. As an actress she lives in her mother's shadow and here, as part of a threeway she's is isolated, alone and seems to be nothing more than a body to fill space. The lack of eroticism in the way the scene plays out further highlights the throw away nature of people and is mirrored in a later scene where Havana entices a chauffeur to have his way with her in the back of his car while his girlfriend (Havana's scarred assistant) looks on. It's a drab, sexless act which occurs simply so that Havana can asset her dominance and prove her worth.

The problem with Maps to the Stars is that it features startling moments such as these but never knows what to do with them. Throughout the film, Cronenberg looks at the cult like nature of success, Scientology is mentioned fleetingly and John Cusack's Dr. Stafford Weiss is portrayed as some sort cult leader but nothing of note comes from it. It's just one of a number of plot points which is introduced only to be forgotten about almost immediately. Had the film committed to exploring these themes and ideas that it so frequently alludes to then one gets the feeling that the film could have been so much more. As it stands, Maps to the Stars is a fleeting look at at a world that should be explored in depth. There's a rich and deeply thematic film hinted at but in Cronenberg's hands one can't but expect something a little more than what we get.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I have to confess, I walked out of this film before the end when I went to see it - an extremely rare occurrence for myself.

Advertisement