Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

22 Jump Street

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,594 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Brad Pitt has filmed a cameo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Brad Pitt has filmed a cameo

How is someone to know whether to look at the spoiler or not!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Jimdagym wrote: »
    How is someone to know whether to look at the spoiler or not!!!

For those that don't want to look ... the spoiler mentions a cameo role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Usually sequels are a useless waste of time these days but 21 deserves one!!

I loved the first one, the chemistry between the two was great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I really loved the first one, even though I was expecting it to be terrible. A sequel could be good, but I'd be wary that they'll just be re-hashing the same jokes.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Deliberately not looking at anything more to do with this (aside from the initial trailer released last year) so as not to spoil anything. Seriously looking forward to this!

Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum are coming to Dublin this week for the premiere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,843 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum are coming to Dublin this week for the premiere

They'll be on the Late Late Show *shudders* on Friday night for those interested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

I was expecting the original to be bad and was very pleasantly surprised. Am looking forward to this.

I dont see Ellie Kemper listed in the credits of the sequel though which is a shame.

Sex on legs

tumblr_mhojppaGVy1r7667lo1_500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Ice Cube looks the same age for the last 25 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Saw this last night, it's not great :o

All the best parts were in the trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Saw this last night, it's not great :o

All the best parts were in the trailer.

Not going by reviews it's supposed to be better then the first film.

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    I was expecting the original to be bad and was very pleasantly surprised. Am looking forward to this.

I dont see Ellie Kemper listed in the credits of the sequel though which is a shame.

Sex on legs

tumblr_mhojppaGVy1r7667lo1_500.jpg

Wow shes's one hot lady, I though it was the girl Johan Hill fell for, isn't she the teacher that has a crush on Tatum?. Then I noticed that was Brie Larson, seems she's not in the sequel either. a shame both are good comedic actresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Pretty sincere apology from Hill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Looper007 wrote: »
    Not going by reviews it's supposed to be better then the first film.

Since when would you trust reviews :P

All a matter of opinion, both myself and my wife didn't think it was great, and we loved the first one. Also going on the amount of laughter in the audience we weren't alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Totally in love with Ellie Kemper; gorgeous and very funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Since when would you trust reviews :P

All a matter of opinion, both myself and my wife didn't think it was great, and we loved the first one. Also going on the amount of laughter in the audience we weren't alone.

Agreed.

I thought it was...okay.

I had zero expectations going in to the first film and enjoyed the hell out if it. I had heard from various sources that the sequel was even funnier than its predecessor so I was expecting good things. But it failed to deliver.

The running gag from the start is that they are doing exactly the same thing over again with a bigger budget because that's what people want. And it IS basically the same film over again, but without the charm, wit and originality of the first.

Don't get me wrong - there ARE a few good laughs but they are few and far between. The film's pacing really lets it down. Some scenes are inexplicably short and others long outstay their welcome. I get the sense that Hill and Tatum were allowed to go off script and riff a bit more this time around and the results are uneven at best. They don't seem particularly engaged or interested in what they're doing. The movie also feels very rushed towards the end and many supporting characters are simply dropped or forgotten about as the conclusion draws near. The funniest scene for me featured a cameo from a character from the first film and his brief appearance only highlighted how much he was sorely missed in this one. Peter Stormare is woefully underused too which is a crime in itself.

However, that said, make sure you stay for the end credits. Just like The Hangover Part III, they are the best thing about the movie but they do leave you wondering where the hell that originality and spark were for the preceding 2 hours.

I'll be interested to see the reaction from other posters when it opens, especially from those who liked the first.

The audience I saw it with (not critics but competition winners) were pretty silent throughout but a gaggle of teenagers sitting nearby seemed to find some of the scenes absolutely hilarious so maybe I'm just too old for this ****...

A rental at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Didn't like the first much yet laughed more or less all the way through this. Very nice surprise for me, just felt smarter and more confident than the original.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 jackwillson772

I seen this and taught it was ok noting special tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I thought it was ok too. You have to like pretty "stupid" humour but then it's good fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I enjoyed this a lot. It's arguably weaker than the original (less structured, not as smart, weaker plot and characters) but much funnier. I can't remember the last time I laughed as much in the cinema; it's genuinely laugh out loud in several places. And I'm willing to forgive a lot of a film if it makes me laugh.

Interestingly, in light of a few comments above, this was something shared by the rest of the cinema. The crowd was smaller than expected but it erupted in laughter at quite a few points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

krudler wrote: »

Pretty sincere apology from Hill

What did he say that's he apologising for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

nix wrote: »
    What did he say that's he apologising for?

Calling a paparazzi a fag got afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Thought it was great fun to be honest.. and did think it was even funnier than the original.

Support were particularly strong in this from the likes of Ice Cube and Jillien Bell.

Loved the references to sequels and the like.

Phil Lord and Chris Miller could be two of the more interesting directors of recent years - especially with the excellent 'The Lego Movie' as well in the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Thought this was hilarious. Channing Tatum's comedic timing is just amazing,
    the moment where he realises that Schmidt has ****ed the Captain's daughter is hilarious, and his timing is perfect

I think this is funnier than the first but the action is bit bigger and a bit OTT for me. The action highlight of 21 was the fight at the house party but hey is more of a comedy and on that front it more than delivers.
    The awkward fist fight was hilarious

Supposedly Pitt did film a cameo as a librarian, but I presume it must have been cut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I'm still laughing at
    Ice Cube's reaction to Jonah Hill dating his daugher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I saw this the other night. I saw the first one with barely any expectations and ended up loving it. I felt this was only slightly weaker. I liked the first one so much because it was kind of different to a lot of other comedies out there and it had a nice charm about it. This one feels less original (obviously cos it's a sequel) and it is pretty much the same format as the first one. However, it has a lot of genuine laugh out loud moments and a really good cast. There is something very likeable about Jonah Hill, I don't know exactly what it is. He just seems like a genuinely funny guy. His chemistry with Channing Tatum is great throughout too. I think the
    poetry slam scene
    might have been my favourite scene or the
    awkward morning after with the weird roommate telling them she heard everything.
    :pac:

e_e wrote: »
    I'm still laughing at
    Ice Cube's reaction to Jonah Hill dating his daugher.

Best moment in the film along with
    Channing Tatum's reaction to finding out Hill slept with Cube's Daughter, that was timeless. the ending sequence with all the sequels had the whole place in laughter.
    I loved it, a comedy that backs it up after a very funny first film. Tatum is really all guns blazing for this, not afraid to make himself look stupid and play the action hero as well. Loved the nods to his past films like White House Down and Step it Up. Hill is really turning into a great actor, doing comedies like this and drama work, his chemistry with Tatum is really funny. I'm surprised it's ok reactions from some on here as I thought it was the equal of the first film.

special mentions to Jillian Bell as
    The villain's daughter and Villian herself
    her scenes had me laughing, Ice Cube who's given a little more to do in the film and he's given probably got some of the funniest stuff outside Tatum. Amber Stevens is hot as hell as cube's daughter. The Lucas Brothers had some great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Thought this was hilarious. Channing Tatum's comedic timing is just amazing,
    the moment where he realises that Schmidt has ****ed the Captain's daughter is hilarious, and his timing is perfect

Loved that scene along with the
    Tatum thinking Carte Blanche is pronounced Cate Blanchett and their dreams while high on Why-Phy
    Also best end credits I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I watched this last night and thought it was hilarious. I also think it was better than the first one. Tatum's self-deprecating performance was a joy.
    The scene where Hill was fighting the fat chick who then accused him of trying to kiss her was particularly funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Saw it last night and
    I'm still laughing at Ice Cube freaking out at parents day in the college. Then Tatums reaction to realising what Hill did with Ice Cubes daughter were the two main parts for me, absolutely hilarious.

Seth Rogen coming in for the credits was also very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Spoilers, above?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Went to see this last night though it hilarious!

Tatum stole the show for me.

And those that have yet to see it, stay for the credits!

"I thought we had Cate Blanchett with the budget" :p

Tatum defo the mvp here

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,402 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Saw it last night, was very enjoyable. I love all the self aware jokes about the
    bigger budget and doing the exact same thing again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i thought it was a mixed bag myself, i was in tears of laughter at some parts and i was scratching my head at others, some of it was a bit to stupid for my likings, i i would have preferred if they were more dim than stupid in parts,

the first i thought was consistently funny throughout, whereas this is more sporadic with it funny parts, but the funny parts here are better than part one,

very confusing :D:D:D

I thought at first Chiwetel Ejiofor was playing the twins :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

That was so funny, the whole theatre was laughing. Didn't think there was a dull moment. Very good indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

I ended up liking this a lot more than I thought I would.

I especially loved the end credits.
    "What contract dispute? I've been here the whole time."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Just back from this, thought it was very good. Personally I think the 1st one was better, but that doesn't take anything away from this one
    Tatum's reaction to Hill banging Ice Cube's daughter was by far the funniest moment of the movie, among others, including all the self-referential jokes and Rogen's cameo in the credits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Thought it as equally funny as the first one.

Was it just me or was that Jake Busey that got dragged out of the Lambo?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

A good, funny film. But the first was better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I could only bear 20 mins of this yoke.. Feck sake it one of the stupidest films i've seen in a while. They seem to think if the laugh at themselves its ok to re hash the same film.. I didn't mind the first but jeez i was looking for ward to a funny film..

Advertisement