Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glassland - New Gerard Barrett Film

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Great to see someone local doing well for himself. I haven't managed to watch Pilgrim Hill yet, hopefully will over Christmas. Only heard good things though!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bellson

This is due for release this Friday the 26th, however i'm struggling to find any cinema listings for it!

Any suggestions? Really looking forward to seeing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

bellson wrote: »
    This is due for release this Friday the 26th, however i'm struggling to find any cinema listings for it!

Any suggestions? Really looking forward to seeing it

I think that date has probably been changed. Can't see any mention of it here: http://www.iftn.ie/distribution/IrishCinemaReleaseDiary/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Its finally out for general viewing, I'll be seeing it today :)

Man that was darker than I expected. Lot better too as well.
    Its a very Irish film. It looks great, they did a lot on what I assume was a limited budget.
    The actors are all terrific, specially the lead.

Bloody excellent, in summary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

wonder how they got toni collette on board with a limited budget??

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Whats Will Poulter and Toni Collettes Irish accents like? I wasn't really able to judge from the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Glad to hear its good planning on going to see it later. Impressive to get Toni Colette on board.

Whats Will Poulter and Toni Collettes Irish accents like? I wasn't really able to judge from the trailer.

I thought they were good. Will Poulters was better than hers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

fryup wrote: »

To be fair to Collette she's like the female Aussie version of Guy Pearce. Both of them do a lot of small films in Australia far more then any other of Aussie's bigger stars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

fryup wrote: »

A great script and Barrett being represented by one of the biggest agencies in the business helps.

Haven't seen it yet but her part seems to be the sort that most actors would love to get their teeth into.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

A great script and Barrett being represented by one of the biggest agencies in the business helps.

Haven't seen it yet but her part seems to be the sort that most actors would love to get their teeth into.

She said she read the script and didn't need any persuading to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

She said she read the script and didn't need any persuading to do it.

There you go. A great script and a good agent that can get it into the hands of the right people.

Gerard Barrett is doing alright for himself so he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭El Diablo Blanco

cloud493 wrote: »
    Man that was darker than I expected. Lot better too as well.
    Its a very Irish film. It looks great, they did a lot on what I assume was a limited budget.
    The actors are all terrific, specially the lead.

Bloody excellent, in summary.

Well said. Yeah, definitely a tough watch - some very harrowing scenes with Toni Collette's character, in particular.

While the subject matter and tone is generally dark, there are real moments of levity and heart that help bring the film out of the realm of unrelenting bleakness. It IS a very Irish film - there's a real 'Irish mammy' scene that manages to be very funny and touching at the same time.

For those wondering about the accents - I thought Will Poulter's accent was very good, and he did a very solid and admirable job of it, and with his role. Toni Collette's was harder to place - not necessarily a working class Dub accent, but it was fine for what it was. Not distracting, anyway.

Shame it hasn't received a wider release - definitely deserves it.

(EDIT: Props to Jack Reynor, too, for a great lead performance. I enjoyed him in What Richard Did, and he did very well in this, too.)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Just saw this last night. A brilliant achievement in my opinion. The end result is an engrossing and economical drama that allows stunning central performances to shine. Sure, it's a very Irish film but not in any sort of bad clichéd sense. The Irish mammy stuff of the lead's friend is handled with a lightness of touch and contrasted by the grittier dynamic of the lead and Collette. And the background crime context is an unfortunately modern angle. If we're going to make Irish films about Ireland then this and the likes of What Richard Did are the right type of Irish imo.

Reynor...****, he's something else. I had thought he was excellent in What Richard Did and he proves it as no fluke here.

Worth a watch folks, though it isn't an easy viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,344 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Will's was very impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Posted my thought already on the Jameson thread:
    Was at Glassland earlier and really enjoyed it. Without question Jack Reynor's best performance in a film. Toni Collette was also amazing. I felt that certain aspects of the story could have been fleshed out more and I would have been more than happy to have watched another 20-30 minutes of the story. Afterwards during the Q&A though, on hearing that they shot the whole thing in just 18 days, I drop that criticism as I'm amazed they managed to produce something as engrossing and powerful as they did with this. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but a thoroughly enjoyable little film about a tough topic and despite the subjects the film touched on, it didn't feel at all bleak, let alone depressing. In fact, somehow they managed to make a film that is somewhat uplifting.

Really surprised that it wasn't better received.

Even on that Jameson thread johnny_ultimate didn't like it much at all.

Looking forward to Brain on Fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

jonny_ultimate's opinions are beautifully crafted and backed by a tremendous depth of knowledge...but they're still just opinions. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,150 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    jonny_ultimate's opinions are beautifully crafted and backed by a tremendous depth of knowledge...but they're still just opinions. :)

And I'd be the first to admit they carry no more weight than anyone else's :)

I was surprised at the significant praise the film garnered at release - Sight & Sound review particularly was gushing. I'll take another look in a year or two, as it's definitely not a film I wanted to dislike! Fair play to Barrett though, he's moving up the ladder quite capably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Definitely a film I appreciate more the further I get away from it. It's a sign of a weirdly strong year for Irish film that this is only the 4th best I've seen behind I Used to Live Here, Patrick's Day and Song of the Sea.

I hope it's not just an anomaly and we're seeing a real sea change in the quality of Irish film being made.

• Advertisement
Advertisement