Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One month's notice period

Options
  • 30-01-2015 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm leaving my company and on my contract says that I need to give one month notice before leaving.

Is 1 month = 30 days or 31 Days?

31 Days? Does this include weekends, public holidays, etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭daheff

generally its a calendar month....so you give notice 1st feb, you finish 28th feb

but some companies are happy enough for it to be 4 weeks. As long as you aren't walking out the same day and the company are reasonable you can come to a mutually agreed date in and around the 28 -31 day mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

1 month has always been 28 days(four weeks) in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

My fiancee is planning to leave her current job shortly.

She was on a 6 month probation period initially. This ended recently and she was put on a further 3 month probation.

She decided it was probably best to leave at this point and has found a new job.

Just one question - how much notice is required?

She hasn't signed a contract of employment or any document that specifies a term of notice.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

trackguy wrote: »
    My fiancee is planning to leave her current job shortly.

She was on a 6 month probation period initially. This ended recently and she was put on a further 3 month probation.

She decided it was probably best to leave at this point and has found a new job.

Just one question - how much notice is required?

She hasn't signed a contract of employment or any document that specifies a term of notice.

Thanks in advance!

If there is no contract then it's common courtesy to give one pay period of notice (i.e. if paid monthly then 1 month's notice). The legal requirement for minimum notice is 1 week, so that is all that your fiancee is obliged to give (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/starting_work_and_changing_job/changing_job/giving_notice.html).

Given that she's probably not going to get much of a reference from them anyway 1 week should be fine.

Advertisement