Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hopeless boss!

Options
  • 15-01-2015 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, in work with a team of about 20 people, there is one boss, three managers, and about 16 between administration and operations. The work we do is providing a non core service to a larger company.

The problem, and all 19 agree is the boss. Totally incompetent. If we approach him, we get eaten, our words are twisted, and no benefit is gained from the conversation. If we come up with an idea, he presents it as his own and we get no recognition for it, not even a well done.. So we don't bother giving the good ideas any more.
    If there is a specific rule in place, we have to follow it. If we don't we are spoken to like children. Then he goes and breaks it because it suits him at the time.
    9 smoke breaks a day, and if we turn up late. . .you get the drift
    Any emails sent by him, are, please review, I will revert in due course, will never commit to anything.

He still manages to keep in with his boss, who is the client, and discourages any of us forming a relationship with his boss.
    Everyone else says the same, he is useless, he is on a power trip

Human resources won't come near the place. They are in the management click of the company, and only care about the managers. In fact we haven't seen human resources in over a year.

So how do you deal with a boss like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

i would keep an eye out for another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

its difficult, there are plenty of those about. promoted by default, not skill.

you need to start an uprising!!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Very difficult, i don't envy your position

Only suggestion i would have as of now is document everything. It doesn't matter how insignificant it seems. When the time is right, you can look to a) bypass him or b) go to HR.

The difference being, if you go with some form of proof etc. then you are more likely to be heard out than approaching without this proof which may be ineffective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

I was in a very similar position. I ended up having a go at him. I'm out of work since. If I could go back I would of bit my tongue and got on with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

closed hand chin -all that these ignoramuses respect but probably cry like the wimp they really are

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭TrishSimon

As someone said above document everything keep copy of emails and notes sent or given to the boss any work you are asked to do always have back up email, definitely keep on a HR it is their job to do something, I had a similar situation some years back and it was making everyone miserable the boss had one bloke crying so I thought to myself I am either going to smack her one and I nearly did only a work mate stopped me or else I have to keep on at HR and get something done. Unfortunately for me the HR manager fancied the boss and did not want to listen to me at all but I persisted and I sort of knew I was going to have to leave the job after if they did not get rid of her, sure enough we did meditation and nothing came of that I was told it was cultural differences as she was from Poland and we did not understand each other pure rubbish she spoke perfect english and understood exactly what she was doing, turns out she was having an affair with the MD the company did not know about it but all us workers did, so I came out of the meditation no better off and went straight to the CEO and handed in my notice I had another job to go to so it was okay he told me to go to HR and I just said I already did and they would not take my letter so he asked why was I leaving I told him everything and he was disgusted. I left that day and 7 others left after me, then about 6 weeks later I heard that she was demoted and eventually replaced and moved to Russia the company admitted they were wrong asked me back but I said no because they had treated me and the others so badly after working there for 7 years I did not feel I could go back....oh ye and the HR bloke I met him in Dublin Airport about a year later he tried to run the other way when he seen me but I caught up with him and told him he was a weasel.

So my advice is stick with it, keep back up on everything dont be pushed out and keep complaining offically and if you all have a problem with the boss stick together. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Martha_Mae

Does he owe the company? Is there anyone that he reports to?

Advertisement