Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Are You? What Do You Do?

Options
  • 12-11-2009 7:06pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Right, seems I've been thrown GE again - It's been a while since I've posted regularly as I stopped visiting once I finished making my game - By then, for some reason, I had been removed as Mod.

I've popped back now and then since but threads get created and very few replies every emerge, so I'm going to start this very simple thread and see just how many people take the time to post a response.

Think of it like a re-introductionary thread - Give a basic list of your experience or fun projects, beit yesteryear or what you're getting up to today!

I don't feel that digging too deep is going to show/prove much, but I will say that my love of Game Editing and Game Making started on the C64 when I used to type out the hundreds of lines of code provided in the manual back when I was seven - It listed how to make a Music Keyboard, Pong Game and other simple things. After that I took it a step further and tried making my own text adventures which later branched off into a love of writing.

Got my hands on a Spectrum 128k and took a more artsy approach with that one as it had some nice drawing features, which made me try to design a drawing package, as well as more text adventures.

Amiga500, well, I fondly remember using the SEUCK (Shoot Em Up Construction Kit) and me and a fellow friend made several games using that - Good times.

PC wise it started with map making for CounterStrike, UnrealTournament, Quake3 and Mods for HalfLife and MaxPayne (I remember making 2xHorror based Mods for HL which I used to force people to play at GalwayLANS - Got a few scares out of one or two people with those). Later on I became obsessed with Starcaft & Starcraft: Brood War, again, making me go on a Map + RPG Campaign making bonanza.

Since then my PC editing stopped with TheGamesFactory which a friend recommended I try due to it being used in a LUDO Course in Dublin and seemingly being right up my alley.

Managed to complete a complicated Breakout clone - I had intended to make it somewhat RPG style where players could level up their (selectable) Bat & Ball through levels and competing in certain game modes but eventually I realised TGF wasn't powerful enough to handle my dream so I created a very customizable version instead - Since then I went back strictly to gaming though I'm very tempted to get right back into this having seen many new packages and engines being released lately (Something to discuss at a later time).

Enough about me, what about you?
    If you still read this forum and have an interest in Game Editing, give us some background!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Well...I'm in my second year of Games design in BCFE now :) Thought nobody would actually write in this part of the forum but me there for a while! I haven't done any of the things you have :P Well apart from the Unreal stuff, we're using the Unity engine right now. I'm hoping to make a career out of it but have to start working my ass off for the next year to get up to scratch :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fergmcd

I'm studying computer science, I'm currently in my second year. I decided to take a look into creating some games. Currently doing some java games, simple enough games like duck hunt at the moment. I'll hopefuly have a decent 2-d platformer made in a few weeks.
    Starting with java and then hopefully moving onto iPhone and XNA games. I'll be doing XNA games in college next year if I dont get onto them between now and then. I'm looking to get into the industry after college if at all possible.
    Unfortunately the boards game editing community seems dead at the moment. Maybe if there was a few games up that were linked from a post on the Games forum people would take interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

fergmcd wrote: »
    I'm studying computer science, I'm currently in my second year. I decided to take a look into creating some games. Currently doing some java games, simple enough games like duck hunt at the moment. I'll hopefuly have a decent 2-d platformer made in a few weeks.
    Starting with java and then hopefully moving onto iPhone and XNA games. I'll be doing XNA games in college next year if I dont get onto them between now and then. I'm looking to get into the industry after college if at all possible.
    Unfortunately the boards game editing community seems dead at the moment. Maybe if there was a few games up that were linked from a post on the Games forum people would take interest.
    We could always see if we could make a game with people from boards :p Might get a few people going then :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

2nd Year in Derry studying Multimedia Computer Games :D

gonna start working on some Source projects as a way of filling up my portfolio looking for placement work for next year.. **** it i'll start a thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Ethan.Saaris

I'm Chip from QuakeWiki and I'm working on a full scale game, based on Quake1/Quake3.

Nothing major so far, this is just what I do. Still in the pre-alpha development phase. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Hi! :)

I'm a fourth year multimedia student in CIT. I'm hoping to go into the casual games market. The dream is workin for someone like Popcap. My course never really went into the game side of things much but I got a bit of a view in the year I spent in Darmstadt, Germany last year where I got to work with some really cool games designers and developers (I had 3 different lecturers from Crytek! :cool: )

My final year project is about casual games for women from 45 to 60. I have a very boring blog on the subject at hazel-ok.blogspot.com It's not worth reading as it's still in the random research phase. I currently dabble in web design and motion graphics. I have messed around with flash games and I made a very basic 3d stereoscopic shooter. (Will post that to youtube when i fish it off the harddrive and link it here)

My course is pretty time intensive at the minute but I aim to take a year out when I finish to learn proper game coding and do some projects around that! :) I would love to do an internship with a casual games company but I imagine competition is fierce so I better get a decent portfolio together first! :o Would love to talk to Irish industry professionals before I pack my bags and head off to Singapore or back to Germany! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vinusts

2 nd year student in multimedia tech, looking for placement in waterford, anybody knows any companies in waterford in multimedia and web designing.
    Thanks very much

Advertisement