Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips for maintaining Diesel engine

• 04-07-2015 5:42pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Having owned petrol cars all my life, I've got a new car that's diesel. (Nissan XTrail 2.2l)

Any tips for giving a diesel car a long life?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Regular oil changes, decent diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Give it a good long cruise every couple of weeks to run properly up to temperature and stay there for an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

The correct spec oil changed at the reccomended interval at the latest.
    Decent air filters changed very regularly as well ( I change my air filter twice for every oil change)
    Dont be afraid to drive it hard on a regular basis to try and keep the crud from building up.
    Choose your Diesel wisely.
    Find out which Diesel brand (if any) your eingine runs better on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thanks for feedback folks.

A few of you have mentioned about choosing Diesel wisely. What does that mean? I would buy my fuel at a garage, like Texaco or Topaz etc. All above board. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

faceman wrote: »

A few of you have mentioned about choosing Diesel wisely. What does that mean? I would buy my fuel at a garage, like Texaco or Topaz etc. All above board. Am I missing something?

Pfffft, a garage?!

You should be getting it at a Diesel Club!

But you know, the first rule of Diesel Club.... (I've already said too much!! :o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

bcmf wrote: »
    The correct spec oil changed at the reccomended interval at the latest.
    Decent air filters changed very regularly as well ( I change my air filter twice for every oil change)
    Dont be afraid to drive it hard on a regular basis to try and keep the crud from building up.
    Find out which Diesel brand (if any) your eingine runs better on.

Air filter twice for every oil change , why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Just buy your diesel in a branded garage, as you have mentioned above, or a garage you trust. Beware of no name stations selling suspiciously cheap fuel.
    Anecdotally there is a lot of laundered diesel knocking around and depending on how they washed it, it has the potential to damage your engine. Modern Diesel engines with high pressure pumps and rails are easily damaged with wrong fuel.

have your car serviced regularly as per manufacturers recommendations, or a bit better (mine is supposed to be 20k but I do it at 15k. IMO it needs it)
    The correct spec oil is vital for cars with dpf, turbos etc.
    A clean air filter is good, but twice per service interval is waaaaay over the top IMO

Once it is not driven in town for 100% of it's time! proper fuel and serviced as it needs it! it'll be grand ;)
    A mate of mine has one of those xtrails, he doesn't look after it at all and it's still going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Maintenance is key, as you will tell from almost everyone here stating that. And like a previous poster stated it will be of benefit to do it earlier than the quoted manufacture . I know a few lads who do the oil change every 10k with the stated been 20k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

bbsrs wrote: »
    Air filter twice for every oil change , why?
    Because I like to have clean air filters in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Mechanic365

Try to avoid running it for short periods (20min or less)
    If it feels like its loosing power for no apparent reason get your diesel filter changed, then go on the motorway and bring it right up to about 4000/4500rpm in 4th or 5th gear for a few minutes and it will prolong its life
    and of course dip it for oil at least every 3days, a small problem in a turbo disesal like turbocharger seals could burn a litre of oil in one or 2 days and some morning you start it low on oil could do alot more damage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Try to avoid running it for short periods (20min or less)
    If it feels like its loosing power for no apparent reason get your diesel filter changed, then go on the motorway and bring it right up to about 4000/4500rpm in 4th or 5th gear for a few minutes and it will prolong its life
    and of course dip it for oil at least every 3days, a small problem in a turbo disesal like turbocharger seals could burn a litre of oil in one or 2 days and some morning you start it low on oil could do alot more damage

Sorry but that is terrible advice. If the engine is losing power just change the diesel filter? Would it not be better to plug in diagnostics and see what the actual problem is?

Check the oil every three days? If an engine is burning a litre of oil every day because of turbo seals you will definitely know about it. The engine would smoke like mad.

Sitec wrote: »
    Sorry but that is terrible advice. If the engine is losing power just change the diesel filter? Would it not be better to plug in diagnostics and see what the actual problem is?

Check the oil every three days? If an engine is burning a litre of oil every day because of turbo seals you will definitely know about it. The engine would smoke like mad.

No if its loosing power for no aparent reason

A small oil seal leak you might not notice, in the space of 4 days my mates 05 a4 2.0tdi burnt every bit it had and oil light on when he was going to work. no big smoke signs from the mirror only when you stood behind it and revved it hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Cerco

I believe you should let engine run for a minute or so before switching off to allow turbo to be lubricated. This is to prevent oil from causing a burnt film on the turbo. Is this true and is it normal practice ?

Cerco wrote: »
    I believe you should let engine run for a minute or so before switching off to allow turbo to be lubricated. This is to prevent oil from causing a burnt film on the turbo. Is this true and is it normal practice ?

no its because the turbo becomes very hot under load and stopping the engine directly after running under load could cause it to cool to quickly and crack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think the general advice with turbo's is if you have been running at high speed, or towing a load you should let them idle for a minute before shutting down.
    Turbochargers spin at very high speed and if you just pull in after a high speed run and shut the engine off, the turbo is still spinning at very high speed and the oil pressure stops the turbo can suffer a lot of wear.
    Idle for a minute to allow the turbo to slow to normal speed and then shut down.
    JDM cars had turbo timers for this reason, you could pull in from a fast run, get out and lock the car with it still running, after a minute or two it would shut itself down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I let the engine idle for a few mins after a drive just to let it cool down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭FR85

+1 on letting your turbo cool down, as stated above turbos can spin at a higher RPM then your engine and an be spinning after you shut it down. When you turn off your engine the oil pump goes with it and there is no oil getting up to your turbo.

What milage is on your X-Trail? Timing belt done? Dual Mass Flywheel done? ( I know you said new car, I don't know if it's brand new of new to you!!!)

Also, I use a fuel additive called Millers Diesel Eco Max and I find it fantastic, it keeps injectors clean and I fine it make the car easier on fuel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

FR85 wrote: »
    +1 on letting your turbo cool down, as stated above turbos can spin at a higher RPM then your engine and an be spinning after you shut it down. When you turn off your engine the oil pump goes with it and there is no oil getting up to your turbo.

What milage is on your X-Trail? Timing belt done? Dual Mass Flywheel done? ( I know you said new car, I don't know if it's brand new of new to you!!!)

Also, I use a fuel additive called Millers Diesel Eco Max and I find it fantastic, it keeps injectors clean and I fine it make the car easier on fuel.

New to me. ;) 133,000km on the clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Cerco

New to me. ;) 133,000km on the clock.

Ah yes, but have you got a turbo ? 😇

Ah yes, but have you got a turbo ? 😇

Yep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭blackbox

FR85 wrote: »

If you switch off with the turbo red hot, the oil sitting in the turbo will get overheated and form carbon deposits. This will build up and cause damage either directly or through restricting oil flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

I have a 2.2ltr Xtrail and i love it. They are a great yoke. Now what id recommend you look out for is (and do); as everyone says; let the turbo cool after a long journey, regular oil change, Check the intercooler for leaks if you have the T30 (2001 - 2007), a minor thing maybe but if you disconnect the battery and you dont have the code for the radio you will have to bring it to Nissan to have them sort it, its something to do with factory fitted clarion radios a complete pita.

The Xtrail has a timing chain not a belt. Sometimes the timing chain guide can get worn and there will be a noticeable noise if that happens. I had the intercooler issue and it cost me 300e to replace. It was easy to do so the only cost was the part itself.

They are a great car/jeep/suv....whatever they are classed :D (my insurance says estate?) and if you look after it with routine services then it should give you no headaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 toyotamechanic

Oil change 10-15K would be good,but remember to give good oil.If someone is using for example semisynthetic thats killing turbodiesels.
    Nissan recomends 5W-30 ,if you have DPF(I dont know what year is your x-trail)look for C1 or C2 Viscosity class (ACEA)on oil that will give you best care of your DPF filter -low ash sulphates.If you dont have it just A1-A5
    You dont need to change fuel filter I think in this model.Change air filter with oil change.
    If you have any questions about maintenace ask.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Because I like to have clean air filters in the car.

Tbh, I'd have to question the cost benefit of replacing the AF that often. Unless you do a lot of driving in dusty conditions I'd have a hunch that over the life of the vehicle the cost of all those air filter replacements might be more than the saving of any marginal improvement in fuel consumption or extended engine life, that's if it made any impact at all compared to changing at the normal interval.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Regular oil changes, decent diesel.

pred racer wrote: »
    Just buy your diesel in a branded garage, as you have mentioned above, or a garage you trust. Beware of no name stations selling suspiciously cheap fuel.
    Anecdotally there is a lot of laundered diesel knocking around and depending on how they washed it, it has the potential to damage your engine. Modern Diesel engines with high pressure pumps and rails are easily damaged with wrong fuel.

Interesting thread. On the subject of cheap diesel I would have associated what you're talking about with, say, Louth/Armagh/Monaghan.

I used to get my diesel in that Maxol on Constitution Hill, which is now demolished for the new DIT. However, the cheapest diesel I've found in all Dublin in the past while was last week in Ballsbridge, right here at €1.27 per litre. It is cheaper than Tesco, even using the 5 cent per litre voucher. It only seems to sell diesel, and there's always a queue (as that Streetview indicates). However, how would somebody if it's decent diesel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

^ +1 on the AF
    MAF sensor, modern turbo etc. means no power or efficiency is lost unless it's proper clogged. Money better spent elsewhere. 20k -30k km would be grand for an air filter change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

^ yeah.
    It reminds me of a thread I read one time of some fella with an avensis and he used to change the oil every 3000 km (or was it mls?), dunno. Either way, its feckin stupid if you ask me, complete wast of time and money.
    I'd be almost certain there'd be a negative cost benefit on it over the vehicles life. That sort of change interval to completely superfluous unless the engine's operating in unusually harsh conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Jesus, these Diesel engines sound like a nightmare!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I'm servicing my Navara 2.5 TD every 6 months with no relation to mileage.Full service top to bottom at around e400 Inc VAT.
    Before summer and before winter.

Taking in consideration the time while engine sits idle in traffic I guess is best loving care for my beauty.Like an airplane engine...they do service per flying hours time and not miles.

Thanks for the turbo tip...I usually drive slower before reaching house but I'll begin doing the idle for 1 minute when on motoways stops.

Enjoy your car...

• Advertisement
Advertisement