Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing brake pads, do I need c-clamp?

Options
  • 04-07-2015 1:04am

dont want to go buy one can I use anything else to retract pistons, and also how do you know how far to push pistons back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

dont want to go buy one can I use anything else to retract pistons, and also how do you no how far to push pistons back

There is a tool to do that for you it also rewinds rear calipers with the right attachment supplied. I think I paid 24 euro for one. Well worth it.

You could go ahead with the old 2 long screwdrivers leveraged on the caliper to push back the piston but it's messy and will end up with many grazed knuckles.

A g-clamp as I'd call it works well but you need something between it and the piston to push it back as it needs to be done evenly and slowly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Thankfully, the old brake pad is the ideal thing to use between clamp and piston.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Are you going to clamp the brake line and open bleed screw? Have heard horror stories of abs packs/servos not liking the back pressure on some newer cars. Only takes a couple of extra Mins and get someone to give ya have bleeding at the end. I do it anymore to be on the safe side

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes for front pads I'd say you do need a c-clamp. It's not expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

No need for c-clamp, you can use F-clamp instead. :D

Having some basic experience would be enough to not to use any clamp to push pistons back.

Some examples:

354184.JPG (I would not recommend this one TBH)

354185.jpg

354186.jpg

Above one is the one I used sometimes, but with spanners instead of screwdrivers:

354187.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement