Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martin 'cliché' Carney

• 17-05-2009 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭

this fella does my nut in watching games

he seems to be on a mission to use every single cliché in the english language during every match.

he is part of the 'pc' brigade who seem to comment on matches with RTE - eg john maughan (another who is very annoying). they are afraid to upset anyone

can RTE not get a few ex footballers who aren't afraid to use livelier and better language while commentating?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    this fella does my nut in watching games

he seems to be on a mission to use every single cliché in the english language during every match.

he is part of the 'pc' brigade who seem to comment on matches with RTE - eg john maughan (another who is very annoying). they are afraid to upset anyone

can RTE not get a few ex footballers who aren't afraid to use livelier and better language while commentating?

well its been ger canning commentating sisnce 1910 so nothing ever changes. if i took over rte id axe all of those and get in a few people with blood running thru there veins as u said. darragh maloney does a good enuf job on big dublin games in croker. ger canning + marty morrisey, thats as good as RTE gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭JMULL

I think Carney is alright, but i hate how he starts everthing with "Very much so"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

When Spillane is back then we will have some real analysis :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭deffin

newman10 wrote: »
    When Spillane is back then we will have some real analysis :D

mcStay is OK but tohill is like a dry stick....what kind of a defence did he try to give for Carr's push on McGrath - he said it wasn't like he gave him a full blooded boot to the head - amazing - is that what you have to do before you'll get sent off........the guy's a muppet.!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

He would bore the arse off you alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

It's his constant use of "again" that drives me nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Tohill is the worst - Spillane-esque blinkered views along with unbelievably dry "deadpan" delivery...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I think Martin Carney is great co-commentator. Know's alot about each different team & is always impartial. Can't think of anyone better - maybe Tony Davis.

Nothin worse that soccer commentators speeling away about the Gaa - Darragh Maloney springs to mind

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 235 ✭✭Mullet

What is it about rte and their commentators. The line up looks very tired. Canning and morrissey do my head in. Maloney is the only lad that sets his commentry alight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

You can't slag off Marty. You can rip on Tohill (rightly so) and Carney but leave Marty alone. He's like that slow kid in school who you never thought would get a job. I still think Canning is better but Marty will always be floating around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

You can't slag off Marty. You can rip on Tohill (rightly so) and Carney but leave Marty alone. He's like that slow kid in school who you never thought would get a job. I still think Canning is better but Marty will always be floating around.

Marty is a legend. I always make sure and let a roar at him when he passes along the touchline, just to remind him of the fact.

RTE's hurling analysts>>>>>>>football analysts a million times over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Any of ya remember Clem Ryan on C.K.R? he was very good but then went to R.T.E and only seems to get "bit jobs". Tohill is the most boring man I have ever seen on T.V..
    I agree with Deffin about Tohill and his comments about Carr on Sunday Game last week. If Darragh O'Se or Ciaran Whelan done that he would have been ranting off about examples but then again he does this regularly when northern teams throw in the odd "dig". Thats not a slight on northern teams just pointing out how inconsistant he is.

Spillane, O'Rourke, Curran, and O'Cinneide I think are all quite good and seem fair to players. Joe Brolly can be entertaining an odd time!! Martin Carney is good at co-commentating. But jeasus looking at some of the clips from the 70s with Mick Dunne and Sean Og we are now blessed even with a plank like Tohill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I'm sorry but I can't stand Marty Morrissey. He's lightyears behind anyone else in terms of actually generating excitement for a match. The LA Lakers cheerleaders could be performing at half time in Croke Park in a pool of jelly and the man still wouldn't even blink an eyelid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i think carney is a great co commentator as is mcstay, and both aint bad analyists either, theres a good mix- spillane, brolly and o rourke for the controversial side, tohill for the sensible and boring, with mcstay,carney and o cinnede then being the lads that actually add some calm, yet they know what they are talking about. they all cant be eamon dunphys. the rte coverage is as good as it can be, it amazes me to see people give out about it when its the best gaa coverage possible. have you seen tv3? awful commentators, awful co commentators and dry, drab, ulster influenced analysis.

a terrible one rte- try paul curran. simply awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

i think carney is a great co commentator as is mcstay, and both aint bad analyists either, theres a good mix- spillane, brolly and o rourke for the controversial side, tohill for the sensible and boring, with mcstay,carney and o cinnede then being the lads that actually add some calm, yet they know what they are talking about. they all cant be eamon dunphys. the rte coverage is as good as it can be, it amazes me to see people give out about it when its the best gaa coverage possible. have you seen tv3? awful commentators, awful co commentators and dry, drab, ulster influenced analysis.

a terrible one rte- try paul curran. simply awful.

Carney is awful again today.
    Showing his true colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

logged on specifically to rant about him. . . perfect thread title....
    "No malice there whatsoever" whenever any collision occurs.

Remember when this co-commentator ****e started - Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh was given a co-commentator on the radio.

Thats like asking Marty Morrisey to duet with Sinead O'Connor

Uses big words in the wrong places

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

I think he tries to come across as too distinguished and polished. Straight talkers make the best analysts. Michael Duignan for example is as straight as a die and is imo the best analyst about, however some of the newer ones look promising, such as Donal Og, Eddie Brennan and Tomas O Se.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

He referred to the Goal net as "The Onion Bag" today, no cliche is too cringy for Martin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Carney is awful again today.
    Showing his true colours.

Carney is from Donegal and was a top player for them back in the day. Has lived in Mayo for past 30yrs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Uses big words in the wrong places

That is part of his repertoire as a commentator.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Daysha wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I can't stand Marty Morrissey. He's lightyears behind anyone else in terms of actually generating excitement for a match. The LA Lakers cheerleaders could be performing at half time in Croke Park in a pool of jelly and the man still wouldn't even blink an eyelid.

everyone knows marty is a Bulls fan. Him and Jordan go way back!!

Carney is from Donegal and was a top player for them back in the day. Has lived in Mayo for past 30yrs.

Played for Mayo too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Clichés......... The OP has obviously never heard Mikey Finnerty. He is the king of the clichés.

I actually wrote them down from the last game I heard them commentate on, such was the gem nature of them.

"the game has sparked into life", "the warrior of that dublin half back line", "starting to hit a groove now" "looks like it is going to go down to the wire", "faded to the margins", "all hands to the pump in the last 9 minutes" and my favourite "he backed himself".

Makes you want to put your foor through the television.

Carney is only in the ha'penny place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I think Martin Carney is great co-commentator. Know's alot about each different team & is always impartial. Can't think of anyone better - maybe Tony Davis.

Nothin worse that soccer commentators speeling away about the Gaa - Darragh Maloney springs to mind

TBH I think Darragh Maloney is by far the best GAA(soccer) commentator that RTE possess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

STB wrote: »

Carney is only in the ha'penny place.

Very much so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

keane2097 wrote: »
    Tohill is the worst - Spillane-esque blinkered views along with unbelievably dry "deadpan" delivery...
    Wrong. Tohill has an excellent knowledge of the game and is a very good analyst. Sometimes its nice to listen to someone who isnt trying to get noticed w smartarse stuff. But where is Tohill. Radio? I havent seen or heard him for years.

Yeah bot he has a touch of the Lawro about him in that he refers to both as his home county depending on whos playin. He is a bit of a clichemeister.
    David Brady definately the worst-totally clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

the boys on newstalk are very good to listen to. They have the likes of Parkinson, Moyles, Darragh Ó Se, Dermot Earley, McConville etc who are not long retired. The presenters also know how to get insightful answers out of them instead of the drivel that you hear on RTE

• Advertisement

n32 wrote: »
    the boys on newstalk are very good to listen to. They have the likes of Parkinson, Moyles, Darragh Ó Se, Dermot Earley, McConville etc who are not long retired. The presenters also know how to get insightful answers out of them instead of the drivel that you hear on RTE
    Yes, and the 2nd Captains lads as well, for all sports. Couple of caveats- Ger Gilroy: a complete tool; Oisin: I think hes good but his memory of games in the recent past is shocking, which makes it difficult to take him seriously in certain discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

harpsman wrote: »
    Wrong. Tohill has an excellent knowledge of the game and is a very good analyst. Sometimes its nice to listen to someone who isnt trying to get noticed w smartarse stuff. But where is Tohill. Radio? I havent seen or heard him for years.

He had an accident with a chain saw a few years ago I remember, don't think he has appeared on TV since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

the boys on newstalk are very good to listen to. They have the likes of Parkinson

NO!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

the boys on newstalk are very good to listen to. They have the likes of Parkinson

NO!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I've found that sometimes it's a lot more satisfying to turn off the sound on the TV and do your own analysis. It's amazing the insights you can make yourself without Marty Morrissey declaring every point an 'amazing score' or Mike Finnerty saying 'the clash of the ash' or 'shoulder to shoulder' every 40 seconds.

Darragh Maloney is a fantastic commentator in my opinion but now that he's taking over from Bill O'Herlihy, he probably won't be rolled out for GAA games too often :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

I agree with the general point of the OP. Can't stand Carney as a co-commentator or analyst and don't rate him as having great knowledge of the game. Why they regularly have him (and others) involved for games involving their own county is beyond me also.
    A few years ago Carney almost jumped down a level in the upper hogan when Mayo scored a goal against Kerry and was acting like a teenage fan.
    Has anyone noticed how he pronounces a lot of well known players names totally wrong aswell? He consistently calls Daniel Goulding, Gold-ing for example.
    I'm old enough to remember Carney as a good, tenacious corner forward but needs putting out to pasture as an "expert".

Kevin McStay, has done the business at managerial level in fairness with a few teams so isn't clueless, but at times you'd wonder...I remember the Gooch knocking over a free in the 2009 1/4 final from 20 yards with his right foot and Kevin said something like "that was amazing..with his weaker foot"..this despite the fact that Cooper had been regularly knocking over scores off both feet since 2002..including several games Kevin had analysed!:confused:
    His constant use of phrases like "the hot zone" and "shot selection" are severely irritating aswell.

Overall the football analysis could really do with a shake-up. Get rid of Spillane, McStay and maybe O'Rourke. Tell Brolly to cut out his attention-seeking sh*te, but above all ensure that there is NO analyst or co-commentator from the counties involved in the big games at least.
    How can anyone take Tomás O'Sé's analysis of Kerry or Ciarán Whelan's opinions on Dublin as being objective? They are NEVER going to criticise their own county and former team-mates and cannot be impartial despite whatever good intentions they may have.

Oh and how could I forget, get rid of Des Cahill for heaven's sake and get McDevitt in there to present. Would be 100 times better and wouldn't play any stupid word games either I'd bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

McDevitt won't get the job until he loses his troop. If RTE want him as an anchor he has shown at Neestslk you need to bring his 5 mates along as well. I think this loyalty will really stall his career. Maybe it has already as I think he would be perfect replacement for Bill O'Herlihy or even have him down in Castlebar yesterday as anchor.

McDevitt won't get the job until he loses his troop. If RTE want him as an anchor he has shown at Neestslk you need to bring his 5 mates along as well. I think this loyalty will really stall his career. Maybe it has already as I think he would be perfect replacement for Bill O'Herlihy or even have him down in Castlebar yesterday as anchor.

You may have a point, but surely he realises presenting/anchoring is a one-man gig and if he wants to "make it" he'll have look after numero uno at some point. He's already done italksport on Setanta on his own, so think he knows what he's at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

thelad95 wrote: »
    I've found that sometimes it's a lot more satisfying to turn off the sound on the TV and do your own analysis. It's amazing the insights you can make yourself without Marty Morrissey declaring every point an 'amazing score' or Mike Finnerty saying 'the clash of the ash' or 'shoulder to shoulder' every 40 seconds.

Darragh Maloney is a fantastic commentator in my opinion but now that he's taking over from Bill O'Herlihy, he probably won't be rolled out for GAA games too often :(

I hope they keep Darragh on for GAA games. I think they could certainly work around his soccer stuff. Soccer internationals or big champions league games tend to be on midweek, which wouldn't affect his doing GAA games. The likes of the World Cup and the Euros only come around every second year and are only on for a few weeks. The World Cup is already over and we aren't even into the meat and potatoes of the GAA season yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Not that one

I was told that Carney is the only man to play railway cup football for three different teams.
    Ulster, Connaught and Combined Colleges when they took part.

Might be bull-crap but it impressed me.

Don't really like him in analyst/co-commentator role either.

He was on w Cooper the other day-declared that for him, the current Armagh team arent near as good as the 02 team!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

harpsman wrote: »
    He was on w Cooper the other day-declared that for him, the current Armagh team arent near as good as the 02 team!!

what genius observation brought him to that conclusion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Surely its time RTE retired Carney.He was painful to listen on tele again today.Surely Tomas O'Se or Ciaran Whelan should be co-commentators for the football games on RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Gael85 wrote: »
    Surely its time RTE retired Carney.He was painful to listen on tele again today.Surely Tomas O'Se or Ciaran Whelan should be co-commentators for the football games on RTE
    What and have no anti dub bias. Sure we'd have no reason to scream at the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

It must be said...

It must be said...

It must be said...

x10

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

It must be said...

It must be said...

It must be said...

x10

What must be said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,809 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Sometimes I wonder does he sit in the commentary box with a white stick and a Labrador. That's my gripe with him, the blatantly obvious can be happening on the pitch and he will miss it or say the opposite of what just happened. He comes across as an affable enough chap but he adds absolutely nothing at all of any quality to inform viewers or interprate a game of football as it plays out in front of him. I often wonder is his audio from another game he might be watching and commentating on.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

What must be said?

He used that particular turn of phrase (seemingly) a million times today. I wanted to bang my head off the table near the end.
    Strumms wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder does he sit in the commentary box with a white stick and a Labrador. That's my gripe with him, the blatantly obvious can be happening on the pitch and he will miss it or say the opposite of what just happened. He comes across as an affable enough chap but he adds absolutely nothing at all of any quality to inform viewers or interprate a game of football as it plays out in front of him. I often wonder is his audio from another game he might be watching and commentating on.

He actually sounds like someone who is not at the game but commentating from a remote location by looking at the tv pictures. At the very least, he must have his eyes glued to the monitor in front of him rather than the actual action on the pitch. That might explain why he misses so much of the things going on which the camera doesn't pick up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

God knows why RTE insist on giving him Mayo games. He could easily have done Galway v Kerry today and let Tommy Carr do Mayo v Cork. Problem solved.

When O'Shea scored his goal he sounded like he was on the vinegar strokes.
    Vinegar Strokes
    the point of no return for a man during sexual intercourse in which he can not stop until he ejaculates, and looks as if someone put a spoon full of vinegar and made him smell it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭tom_k

God knows why RTE insist on giving him Mayo games. He could easily have done Galway v Kerry today and let Tommy Carr do Mayo v Cork. Problem solved.

When O'Shea scored his goal he sounded like he was on the vinegar strokes.

That's priceless. Long time since I read a post that made me laugh so much.

And you're right.

And I'm a Mayo man. :D

Was doing my usual thing of watching the games from the weekend back and thought of this thread while listening to Martin do his thing as co-commentator.

2 things sum up how terrible a decision to have him on it is by RTE these days.

1. During half time, Colm O'Rourke had mentioned he was surprised Mayo had put Lee Keegan man-marking Paul Kerrigan as he thought Keegan would be left in the free man role to attack.THEN - we go back to Marty & Martin..Carney proceeds to say something along the lines of "just on that issue..Lee Keegan is actually playing fullback..I think it's madness to have him that far back the field"..

Good Lord Jaysus..Lee Keegan was nowhere near fullback for ANY of the game. Kerrigan played entirely around the middle-half forward area and that is where Keegan was also obviously. How anybody could make such an inaccurate statement, let alone an "expert analyst" is beyond me.

2. When Aidan O'Shea goaled, Martin (not the first time he's acted this way) was practically squealing like a schoolgirl who has just met One Direction. It was embarassing. Same has happened several times before. Why, why, why do RTE have a guy who clearly cannot possibly remain neutral involved for any game, let alone the business end of the championship? It's just terrible programme management and I can't understand it.

RTE were sour enough with the SKY deal (and let's be honest..SKY coverage is poor enough so far) but then they serve up drivel like this from the same old cronies who have been around for years. Carney was doing games way back in the early 90's, same with McHugh, Spillane, O'Rourke.

Why can't get more of the intelligent, recently retired players like they've done with the hurling? Tomás O'Sé has been ok I think (I am biased), Whelan I'm not sure of yet..he doesn't strike me as being great but he may improve. Owen Mulligan..forget about it. Philip Jordan was potentially decent, but hard to hear at times with the way he speaks. Dermot Earley strikes me as too unwilling to slate anyone.

There has to be better options out there than what we're being given at the moment.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement