Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing Surname

• 15-03-2007 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Anyone know what the procedure is for legally changing my surname. I know I have to fill out a deed poll but how long would it be before it is finalised?

Also would I be able to send off for a new passport now with my new surname or would I have to wait for the documents to come back?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Try contacting the High Court Central Office in the four courts. Tel :+353 (0)1 8886000.

They are very friendly.

As far as I know you need to go in and swear some documents, unless there is a legal reason why you can't change your name.

By the by, if you want to change your surname because you recently got married and want it on your passport, you might be able to do this without a deed poll - i.e. by just giving a copy of your marriage licence to the passport office

N.B. You should seek legal advice in relation to the consequences of leaglly changing your name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

I'm not sure you have to do anything to change your surname.

Your christian, or given, names are the ones which need to be changed legally, but my understanding about a surname is that it is merely a habit.

For instance, if a woman marries a man, she can keep her surname, or take his, at any point. She never legally "changes" her surname in the documentation, but merely assumes his name if she decides to start using it. Many married women keep their original surname, but use their married surname from time to time for convenience, perhaps to be Mr & Mrs Bloggs in their chidrens school.

I may be wrong, but asked this question of a barrister friend years ago about a woman taking a man's surname, and that was the gist of what he said.

An interesting footnote is that, if you, Mary, marry Robert Murphy, the proper etiquette is that you are addressed in correspondence as Mrs Robert Murphy, to indicate that you are married to Robery Murphy. Even on his death, you might have been referred to as Mrs Robert Murphy on correspondence, and would be referred to as Mrs Mary Murphy to indicate you are divorced.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

jawlie wrote:
    I'm not sure you have to do anything to change your surname.

Your christian, or given, names are the ones which need to be changed legally, but my understanding about a surname is that it is merely a habit.

You can ask people to call you whatever you want. Many people, who are named after their father, go by their middle name. But as far as I know to have your name changed for the purposes of official documents (such as a birth cert) requires a deed poll.

However, because it is a long held custom that many women take their husband's name on marriage, providing a marriage certificate to the relevant office is usually enough. Check with the relevant office first.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

I'm not getting married, just turned 18 and want to take my mothers surname.

sophya wrote:

Contact the passport office etc to see if they will change it.

If not, contact the central office of the High Court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Anyone can call themselves anything. Hence we have Paddy, Mick and Joe. For the most part, it is accepted.

A friend did this with his first name. For most things the deed poll was OK (30 euro to solicitor) but the Passport Office wanted it registered with the Courts Service (I presume the High Court Central Office mentioned above).

Victor wrote:
    Anyone can call themselves anything. Hence we have Paddy, Mick and Joe. For the most part, it is accepted.

A friend did this with his first name. For most things the deed poll was OK (30 euro to solicitor) but the Passport Office wanted it registered with the Courts Service (I presume the High Court Central Office mentioned above).

A deed poll is done with the central office and I think costs about €30. A solicitor will undoubtedly cost you more, but they will advise you as to the implications of changing your name legally.

The passport office is probably your first port of call, because if they can change it without a deed poll that would, IMO, be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭dbocky

I also want to change mine to my mothers maiden name...

I need a new passport anyway so it will be all the one! and much handier that i can change my name then!

I think the hard part will be changing it with the bank/passport/birth cert/drivers licence!!

Is their any other places i will need to change it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Utility bills and the like?

Work. College - it can be a big issue with qualifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

there should be a way of getting an aka on your passport. you'll need some one to identify you to the cops or even a cop to do it if you know one.

mrs Carawaystick has a page in her passport saying "the bearer is also known as x y"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭dbocky

Damn forgot about qualifications...

So I have two diploma certs, ill have to ask when talking to them in the high court about!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hunkydory111

sophya wrote: »
    Anyone know what the procedure is for legally changing my surname. I know I have to fill out a deed poll but how long would it be before it is finalised?

Also would I be able to send off for a new passport now with my new surname or would I have to wait for the documents to come back?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Hi the procedure is a very simple and legal, our website offers a instant name change for you to print out and use accordingly.
    visit www.uk-adult-deed-poll.co.uk/freedeedpoll/

Thanks

shaun

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

It might have escaped your attention, but this is an Irish site.

Irish Law is not UK law. It might bare some similarity but it not the same.

This is an example of why not getting proper advice can land people in trouble.

Person goes to above link, fills it in, bring to Court and is laughed out of the place!

"How long have you been resident in the UK?"

"DVLA?"

Hello ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭legatti

sophya wrote: »

anyone has a legal right to use there mothers maiden name,
    so if you just want to stop useing your fathers name, and switch to your mothers maiden name then you dont have to do any deed poll or anything.
    to change banks/passports/driving licences, or any other body who requires proof all you need is your birth certificate, you can also ask a solicitor to draw up a letter stating you wish to be known by your mothers maiden name, some officals will however insist on your name being used
    with the tag of "" previously known as " and your old name, this is there right to do this, for 5 years, after which time the "previously known as" tag can go, as you have a history of useing your chosen name.

and the law states yes you can be known as anything you wish, however
    you will be asked to prove you are known by this name
    so if someone was to choose to be called mr potato head, then he would have to prove he had been known by this name for 5 plus years..

usually using your mothers maiden name doesnt cause any problems
    wish you the best with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭legatti

Tom Young wrote: »
    It might have escaped your attention, but this is an Irish site.

Irish Law is not UK law. It might bare some similarity but it not the same.

This is an example of why not getting proper advice can land people in trouble.

Person goes to above link, fills it in, bring to Court and is laughed out of the place!

"How long have you been resident in the UK?"

"DVLA?"

Hello ...

in this situtation the laws are actually the same, the deed poll contact information would be different , but the law is the same.
    in most things it is anyway, ireland is a carbon copy of the uk.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

No they're not, save for common law similarities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

It's worth noting that there is adifference between ones christian names and ones surname.

Your christian names are legally given to you on your birth cert or, if your birth cert simply says "male" or "female", after that on a baptismal certificate or an addition to ones birth certificate.

If one wants to change ones christisn ( of given ) names, one can only do that using a legal process.

Ones surname is a name used out of habit. Thats why someone on marriage might adopt their partners name, or not, and no legal process is required to so do.

Additionally, if it not unknown for two people on marriage to combine their names and use from then on a double barrelled surname. Or use a new surname made up of some combination of their previous surnames. No legal process is necessary to do either of these, and all that is needed is to start to use the new name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Just to add if you are not an Irish or British citizen you need permission of the Department of Justice under the Aliens Act to change your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nikki1

Hi just wondering if you have started using your mothers maiden name and if you had to do it through deedpoll and if you had any trouble with it if yo didnt? like was it easy to change your passport etc? It's just I wish to go by my mothers maiden name as well, thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Rainbow bright

Hi All,

I have recently lodged the paperwork with the court to take my mothers maiden name. I am just wondering how long it will take once everything has been submitted to the courts. Also my current passport doesnt expire for another 8yrs and do I need to change this now or can I wait until it expires?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lita

I have been widowed for 8 years and wish to return to using my maiden name.....what do I need to do ..

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Rainbow bright

lita wrote: »
    I have been widowed for 8 years and wish to return to using my maiden name.....what do I need to do ..

You can just revert back to using your maiden name, as your maiden name is on your birth cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lillielad

Hi guys I am 27 and want to change my surname to my fathers name, How do I go about doing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

lillielad wrote: »
    Hi guys I am 27 and want to change my surname to my fathers name, How do I go about doing this?

All the details here.

Since you are 27, I think you are from the era where only the given name of the child was recorded on the birth cert. Now the child is given a surname on the birth cert.

Advertisement