Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC for Plex front end and Steam streaming

Options
  • 24-04-2015 6:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi folks,

I’m looking to put together a HTPC build to put under the telly in the sitting room. I need it to do two things. I want to use it as a front end for a plex server I’m going to setup on my main PC. I also want to use it for running Steams IHS service.

I’m looking for something that looks good in the sitting room and ideally has a small footprint. I’d like something capable of running Windows, mostly because that’s what I’m familiar with. It also needs to be capable of working using just a media remote and Xbox controllers if possible.

I’m comfortable with specs for gaming PCs but I’m pretty clueless about this sort of thing. I’ve looked at some of the SFF boxes out there like Intels NUCs and the Zotac Zboxes but I haven’t a clue if these are worth the premium over a full self build. Any advice would be appreciated.

1. What is your budget? 500? Budget is flexible as long as the build is worth paying for

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Plex front end and steam streaming

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? nope

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Nope

5. Do you need a monitor? Nope

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Media remote, wireless adapter for Xbox controller

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Any option is fine

9. When are you purchasing? Next week ideally

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Should be fine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Anything that has an Ethernet port and is capable of 1080p60 h264 playback is all you need for Plex or Steam IHS. I think even the lowest power Celeron NUCs are capable of that now which should be cheaper than anything you can build or the same price but a lot smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MadHarlequin

Cheers. Have you used one of the Celeron NUCs? I'd read a few reviews that said they could be quite sluggish navigating menus on Plex which would drive me insane

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

If you have the space for it, you can build with regular parts in something like the Silverstone GD09 or GD06. They run about the size of an AV receiver. If you need to go a lot smaller then the NUC is your best bet. I'm running Plex myself in a build with a Silverstone GD09. It runs Plex server and Plex home theater, plus it also acts as a file server/backup server for the rest of the house. NUC is very compact but it can't host much storage.

Advertisement