Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

defamation of character info??

• 23-05-2014 6:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

Without going to much into detail of what its about, what's the craic with a defamation of character case?
    On behalf of a relative I'm asking this question with the hopes of getting a serious answer in lay mans terms about what's involved with a case when the garda will say they can do nothing about defamation without a solicitors letter and the perpetrator keeps harassing the relative and other family members while also slandering the relatives name on hearsay in regards theft
    ?
    There seems to be no other way to stop it without legal action and am finding it hard to figure out through citizens info websites
    If there is any info needed feel free to ask away

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Harassment can be reported to Gardai.

I'm not sure what you are asking apart from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Been to the guards.they said to get a solicitors letter.
    Is this to threaten legal action?
    Guards said they couldn't tell any thing other than that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

djflawless wrote: »
    Been to the guards.they said to get a solicitors letter.
    Is this to threaten legal action?
    Guards said they couldn't tell any thing other than that??

I appreciate that you want to keep details confidential, but it's not clear what is happening, so it's difficult to know.

Gardai often advise people to see a solicitor if they think a problem is a civil matter rather than a criminal matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_law_%28common_law%29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Defamation has nothing to do with the Gardaí. It is a purely civil matter and requires a solicitor to act on behalf of the injured party.

Harassment is a criminal matter which would be dealt with by the Gardaí but the actions have to be directed at the injured party. Telling lies about them would not usually come under this.

So basically just get sorted with a solicitor
    Considering the Gardai have called numerous times to the accused but haven't taken any action, does this mean they are only acting out their duties and entertaining the reporter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Considering the Gardai have called numerous times to the accused but haven't taken any action, does this mean they are only acting out their duties and entertaining the reporter?

It's not clear that there is defamation or harassment from your description, but then again we can't offer legal advice here so no need to go into more detail. What I will say is that it is important that you understand the distinction above: the Gardaí can do nothing about defamation, it is not a criminal matter.
    With regard to the harassment, how do you know the Gardaí have done nothing?

It's likely they are simply following up the complaint and maybe trying to give a friendly warning in the hopes of preventing the incident escalating.

how do you know the Gardaí have done nothing?
    when i say done nothing i mean towards the allegations being made at my family member regards supposed theft.if there was grouns for suspicion or proof surely there would have been an arrest/calling to the house etc instead of just achat on the side of the road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

when i say done nothing i mean towards the allegations being made at my family member regards supposed theft.if there was grouns for suspicion or proof surely there would have been an arrest/calling to the house etc instead of just achat on the side of the road?

I think it has been pointed out in every response to this thread that defamation is not a criminal matter. I am not quite sure the part that is still unclear.

I think it has been pointed out in every response to this thread that defamation is not a criminal matter. I am not quite sure the part that is still unclear.

I think he is saying they have done nothing that would substantiate the claim of criminal action i.e. arrested or charged the person who is the victim of defamation.

• Advertisement

I think he is saying they have done nothing that would substantiate the claim of criminal action i.e. arrested or charged the person who is the victim of defamation.

10/10 :)
    What I was trying to find out is if this meant the guards had no need to be involved anymore as it was all up to a solicitor like the guard at the desk in the station claimed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

10/10 :)
    What I was trying to find out is if this meant the guards had no need to be involved anymore as it was all up to a solicitor like the guard at the desk in the station claimed?

If it is only defamation and not harassment then it is not a garda matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭thebannerboy

Who are your neighbours they making the allegations to? How do you know they are making allegations?

Reporting someone for theft to the guards with "hearsay" as evidence
    Id call that an allegation
    And its a local farmer doing all the reporting to the guards and basically blackening a family's name

Reporting someone for theft to the guards with "hearsay" as evidence
    Id call that an allegation
    And its a local farmer doing all the reporting to the guards and basically blackening a family's name

There is a defence under the Defamation Act for people reporting a crime to Gardaí, even if it is based on hearsay. Once they are not being dishonest they will likely be able to use this defence.

Advertisement