Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venue in city for 18th Birthday

Options
  • 09-11-2011 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hey lads,

Saw a few threads on this but they are fairly old and the bar / club scene changes so much would be handy to get some up to date info. Trying to book a venue for a friend's 18th birthday but most bars etc don't do them anymore. Anyone got any good suggestions for somewhere in and around the city ? Pier One, Bentley's and Molly's are out (didn't try Molly's but have DJ's a few parties upstairs there and wasn't the best). Dolan's seems like a good one but its far enough out..any other ideas?

Cheers :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Hey lads,

Saw a few threads on this but they are fairly old and the bar / club scene changes so much would be handy to get some up to date info. Trying to book a venue for a friend's 18th birthday but most bars etc don't do them anymore. Anyone got any good suggestions for somewhere in and around the city ? Pier One, Bentley's and Molly's are out (didn't try Molly's but have DJ's a few parties upstairs there and wasn't the best). Dolan's seems like a good one but its far enough out..any other ideas?

You could reserve tables etc in Angel Lane and they'd probably give free/discounted entry for a large group

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Most places won't touch them. Too risky with the underage drinking. The penalties are too high to be worth the bother. I wouldn't blame them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep, most 18 year olds naturally have friends who are younger than themselves. For this reason most places will not take on the trouble of being caught serving drink to minors or having their door staff refusing them entry and then getting grief from the people who booked the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

You're probably best heading out to a country pub where they'll be more likely to have a 'laissez faire' attitude when it comes to underage drinking.
    Recently, the minor hurling team in my village won the county championship.
    Most of the team were under 18 yet I heard none of them had any trouble getting a pint in the local pubs.
    I'm not condoning underage drinking but if it's a venue you're after, head for the sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

A lot of people recently go out to Punches in Patrickswell, other then that - function room in scotts/russells/highway etc. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Why do you have to mention it's an 18th when booking?

Alot of my friends 18ths were in old crescent RFC around 07/08. The place was great for them but as you said, things have changed. No harm enquiring about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pctech

Hey lads,

try punches hotel in punches cross they do 18ths now with a private function room which is huge, had my sisters 18th in there a few months ago nice place =]

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Why do you have to mention it's an 18th when booking?

Its probably best to mention its an 18th. I know of someone who kept it on the qt and most of the party goers were refused entry to the pub. Staff were continually asking for ID at the bar and only serving one drink at a time to those who did get in. Kinda ruined the night for everyone involved.

Advertisement