Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone theft, tracked location — What to do?

Options
  • 20-07-2015 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all, just looking for help/similar experiences on using FindMyiPhone and tracking a stolen phone.

My phone was robbed from my bag in the Workman's club on Saturday night/Sunday morning. I've tracked it to an estate in Blanchardstown. I've reported it to the Gardai who say they have no power to knock on door etc. It's been tracked to an apartment block but they Gardai say these apps aren't accurate enough for them to pursue.

I'm not sure what I can do. If I go there myself I won't know exactly what apartment it's in and if I'm putting myself in danger.

But I can't let it go — I worked hard and saved for months for my phone. My insurance lapsed (my fault) so I can't replace it.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

If it were me I'd go there with some back up and just knock on a few apartment doors saying the missing phone has been tracked to this apartment. I'm not familiar with these apps but if you only know that one of 20 or so apartments has your phone then that complicates the issue greatly.

The Gardaí seem pretty useless in these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jones12

robman60 wrote: »
    If it were me I'd go there with some back up and just knock on a few apartment doors saying the missing phone has been tracked to this apartment. I'm not familiar with these apps but if you only know that one of 20 or so apartments has your phone then that complicates the issue greatly.

The Gardaí seem pretty useless in these situations.

Thanks, I think you're right... what's the point of having these tracker apps if I don't go after it! It's worth a try. I'm pretty sure I know the guy who took it anyway so there's a small chance I'll see him and possibly get it back. I'll phone blanchardstown Garda station first.. maybe they'll be able to tell me if its a really dodgy estate — and if it is I'll leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,406 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Jones12 wrote: »
    Thanks, I think you're right... what's the point of having these tracker apps if I don't go after it! It's worth a try. I'm pretty sure I know the guy who took it anyway so there's a small chance I'll see him and possibly get it back. I'll phone blanchardstown Garda station first.. maybe they'll be able to tell me if its a really dodgy estate — and if it is I'll leave it.

Which estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Which estate?

Don't tell him OP, he could be the person that has your phone :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,406 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Don't tell him OP, he could be the person that has your phone :eek:

You couldn't give me an iPhone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

Forget it. Game over. Time to move on. Forget the advice to go and start knocking on doors and saying " Hey you, I tracked my iphone to your gaf.....you thieving good for nothing......bla bla bla"

Waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Hi all, just looking for help/similar experiences on using FindMyiPhone and tracking a stolen phone.

My phone was robbed from my bag in the Workman's club on Saturday night/Sunday morning. I've tracked it to an estate in Blanchardstown. I've reported it to the Gardai who say they have no power to knock on door etc. It's been tracked to an apartment block but they Gardai say these apps aren't accurate enough for them to pursue.

I'm not sure what I can do. If I go there myself I won't know exactly what apartment it's in and if I'm putting myself in danger.

But I can't let it go — I worked hard and saved for months for my phone. My insurance lapsed (my fault) so I can't replace it.

Any ideas?

That's BS from the Gardai. There were two fairly recent cases in Cork, one of a phone being tracked to a repair shop through an app and another of an IPad being tracked to a house by Apple themselves. Both cases ended up in court.

The trouble here of course is that it's an apartment block :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

On face value it is upsetting that you've narrowed the location down only for the gardai to say that they cannot do anything. I'd give the ombudsman a ring just for pig iron and get their views on the matter.

Why do we have a police force when you consider the latest report and stories such as the above. It's sad that the best advice would appear to be get a few pals and go knocking on the alleged offender's address. #Only in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    On face value it is upsetting that you've narrowed the location down only for the gardai to say that they cannot do anything. I'd give the ombudsman a ring just for pig iron and get their views on the matter.

Why do we have a police force when you consider the latest report and stories such as the above. It's sad that the best advice would appear to be get a few pals and go knocking on the alleged offender's address. #Only in Ireland.

In fairness you can't have the cops knocking on everyones doors looking for a phone. If one called to my door asking did I have someone else's phone for no good reason I wouldn't be best pleased.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

The op could knock on a few doors explaining nicely that they lost their phone in whatever venue and they tracked it do the address and maybe the person will be guilted in to returning it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Ranchu wrote: »
    In fairness you can't have the cops knocking on everyones doors looking for a phone. If one called to my door asking did I have someone else's phone for no good reason I wouldn't be best pleased.

I agree however there does appear to be more and more of these stories emerging and the garda response is 'sorry nothing we can do'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

On the point of insurance too, OP, I could be mistaken but most policies will give you a hard time if the phone is taken from your bag like that as opposed to stolen by force as it will be hard to prove you were not negligent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

when the thief leaves the apartment, with new phone nestled in his/her pocket, won't the tracker indicate phone is no longer at the complex. maybe do a little watch on the place re comings/goings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Don't go alone anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

You can use the findmyiphone app to send an alert message to the phone stating that there is really big reward for recovery of the phone you LOST. If you say stolen it won't come back. Also explain that Apple's locking process will make the phone a paper weight by the end of the day.

If they text or phone the number you give them they are caught. Give the number to the guards. The reward has to be enticing. Maybe mention that there are precious pics that you want so that justifies the high reward.

Take a chance and see what happens and keep an eye on the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Any ideas?

Well I am calling BS on the above in bold. Read this. In particular the Guards themselves have said
    If you have a smart phone, consider downloading a location finder app, as it will help you locate your phone if it is stolen.
    If your phone is lost or stolen, immediately report it to An Garda Síochána

&
    The app helped her establish that her phone was at an address in Cork city. She reported the matter to gardaí, who obtained a search warrant for the property identified by the app. Thirteen stolen phones were recovered during the search.

Call into the Garda Station and ask to speak with someone in authority who wants to do their job,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Well I am calling BS on the above in bold. Read this. In particular the Guards themselves have said

&

Call into the Garda Station and ask to speak with someone in authority who wants to do their job,
    kerry4sam
    The problem is that tracking is only accurate to a few metres at best which is probably enough to narrow down to a detached house. However in an apartment block it would be difficult to determine which apartment the phone is in. The phone could be in one apartment but the tracker shows it to be in one of the adjoining apartments above, below or next door. Would that be sufficient grounds to be granted a search warrant?

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

That's BS from the Gardai. There were two fairly recent cases in Cork, one of a phone being tracked to a repair shop through an app and another of an IPad being tracked to a house by Apple themselves. Both cases ended up in court.

Apple will not get involved with tracking devices. It's down to the individual owner to be responsible for tracking their phones

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Well I am calling BS on the above in bold.

Will you be available to go into the High Court.
    As the guard is being cross examined about unlawfully searching someones house Kerry4sam can interrupt proceedings and tell the judge that it is BS.

You look for a search warrant based on gps which is sometimes reasonably accurate and sometimes several hundred meters off and take someones house apart looking for stolen property and you have a law suit. Where will you and your expert advice be then Kerry4sam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hierro

That's BS from the Gardai...

The trouble here of course is that it's an apartment block :-(

So it is obviously not bull****...

And before you go over the top give me a timeline on what you might do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Advertisement