Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you believe in fate / destiny?

• 06-01-2010 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭

Do you believe in such a thing as fate, that things are destined to occur to you, or that there is a driving influence in events in your life that you really cannot control?

Do you believe in fate / destiny? 31 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    Cheeky monkeyphilologoskincsemKierapatmacStatsoKeanoPigwidgeonJohnny UtahMisty ChaosClare BearSVThat_GuySRFC90beertonsFour-Percenttwinytwodonmeisterhelpme07num one 31 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

No, I think life is simply about free will. You have to push yourself to a limit to reach a goal, not just lie back and let it happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

No, I believe such words are used to absolve people from responsibility for their actions.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Not a chance

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

It amuses me no end the phrase 'change your destiny' since it's an oxymoron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

this thread is destined to be a load of b*llocks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

No, I don't OP.
    You are born, you live your life making choices and in the end you die.

Your destiny from the time you are born is to die, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

MrStuffins wrote: »
    this thread is destined to be a load of b*llocks!
    I don't know. I suspect it is going to go in a very specific direction. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

No
    I answered Yes but I believe its a mixture of destiny AND free will that guides us through our lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

We make decisions and stand by them or change course and take another route but we are all really wanting to be back inside the safety and comfort of the womb :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Nope, all a load of total bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

lugha wrote: »
    I don't know. I suspect it is going to go in a very specific direction. ;)

I think how this thread goes will be based on choices made by the users of AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Stephen Hawkins quote time :
    I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.

As for me.
    Fate : Nope (I think?)*.
    Destiny : Nope.

Just curious is there a difference between fate and destiny?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I answered Yes but I believe its a mixture of destiny AND free will that guides us through our lives.
    How can there be destiny and free will? If you use free will to make a decision, it isn't destiny, if something is destined to happen, then free will is an illusion

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

No, you make your own luck, through your natural talents and those that you develop, which in turn will directly affect the choices you make. Its lazy to lay it all on "fate", just another example of people refusing to accept their responsibilities in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I believe in chance and probability, but fate and destiny is rubbish imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

I think how this thread goes will be based on choices made by the users of AH.
    Then I guess you don't believe in destiny. :)

lugha wrote: »
    Then I guess you don't believe in destiny. :)

Well, in fairness, I find it hard to believe I could be destined to have this conversation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

No
    Yes I do because of personal reasons and things that happened in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

No
    If things are going well ........ It's all down to my own efforts
    If things going badly ........... It's destiny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

JUDGE AND EXECUTIONER TIS NOT ALWAYS IN YOUR OWN HANDS LIFE SOMETIMES DEALS A BAD HAND:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

JUDGE AND EXECUTIONER TIS NOT ALWAYS IN YOUR OWN HANDS LIFE SOMETIMES DEALS A BAD HAND:rolleyes:

Says the executioner.

Also, Caps lock off! :) It makes baby jesus cry when you shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭yaaaboy

Destiny/Fate simply cannot be true, there is nothing rational about it.
    Someday if you do one thing it can send you're life one way (i.e meeting a future wife on a bus) and if you had done something else you're life could have gone a totally different way (i.e marrying her sister who you meet on the next bus because you missed the first one).. It depends what you define fate or destiny as, its all about probability, luck and chance stuck in time..what separates us all: minutes and seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

iguy wrote: »
    Yes I do because of personal reasons and things that happened in my life.

hmmm... I'm intrigued.... do continue unless of course you don't want to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

I believe that lots of people say the wrong word, and pronounce it as 'faith' which really irritates me.

Aside, I do and I don't. In a way, I think what's meant to be will be, and karma biting you on the ass etc. I would be intrigued to know what fortune tellers would tell me about what would happen, but I would hate to live my life thinking "Oh X is going to happen".....

In other ways, I think you make your own choices and decisions, so maybe things arent planned for you.

It's a toughie!!

yaaaboy wrote: »
    Destiny/Fate simply cannot be true, there is nothing rational about it.
    Someday if you do one thing it can send you're life one way (i.e meeting a future wife on a bus) and if you had done something else you're life could have gone a totally different way (i.e marrying her sister who you meet on the next bus because you missed the first one).. It depends what you define fate or destiny as, its all about probability, luck and chance stuck in time..what separates us all: minutes and seconds.

I don't think you grasp the concept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Please take Caps Lock off.

They are on in all of your posts so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

No, you make your own luck, through your natural talents and those that you develop, which in turn will directly affect the choices you make. Its lazy to lay it all on "fate", just another example of people refusing to accept their responsibilities in life.
    Malty_T wrote: »
    Just curious is there a difference between fate and destiny?

I dont think it's fate as as such .We dont get to choose who are parents are ,rich or poor , which country ,culture, religion we are born into .But we will ( most of us ) be given oppurtunitys to change and improve our lifes or change direction , or seize the moement that can influence what we do in life .As for destiny, think of all the artistic people through the ages who if they hadn't followed their ambitions and goals in life would never have being known to ther world .For example ,( and only an example ) many people think it was destiny for Lennon /McCartney to meet when they did to come together and produce that music .So yes , you could say that opposites attract and it may be destined to be that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I think destiny is just a romantic's chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

This thread is destined to have 89 posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

bman wrote: »
    This thread is destined to have 89 posts.

Don't forget : Mod can always intervene.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

In a way, yes. Overall the results of a life's worth of decisions have to reveal something of the unique personality generating those decisions. I think it's easier to see the connections for people we are close to (who we probably love and are motivated to save from their own inclinations); while the cause-and-effect arc of our own lives is unclear, until old age maybe. Good Q :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

No
    I'm not so sure that we have absolute control over our lives, but we mostly do. There are things that we have little control over, and then there are other things that we have absolutely no control over. So that's why I voted yes. I'm just interested to see what other people voted. To be honest with you, I would have expected more people to vote yes to it in some form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

No
    For what its worth and all the ridicule it will receive I believe in god and believe that god controls my faith. Sounds corny but such is life.

I would love to see a pole like this in the athiest thread because I would fail to see how a non beliver would believe in faith/destiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

Jakkass wrote: »
    I would have expected more people to vote yes to it in some form.

I think the terms themselves are bound up with the idea of an irresistible outside controlling force rather than potential cumulative expression of innate character. Results are par for the AH course ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭positron

With the rational education I got, my fate is to not believe in fate, destiny, bogeyman, god etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I think this is why I hate Oprah so much.

That women abused my mind with all her talk about 'Earth Schools' and what not.

She used to have the craziest of guests on her show spouting the biggest load of rubbish ever.

Why did I watch it, I have no clue - I hate her with a passion anyway.

There is no Destiny but I believe we have spirits, souls or whatever you want to call it.

I think there is 'positive' energy and 'negative' enregy in the world and in people and how much you draw on each has a big impact on where you end up and what kind of life you lead.

I don't believe in Heaven or Hell really but I do believe that there is some payoff and consequences in the next world. I just think we all continue in some way.

Now, don't taking the pi** out of my post or your karma will be f**ked
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I believe the concept of fate was doomed from the start.

No
    Intothesea wrote: »
    I think the terms themselves are bound up with the idea of an irresistible outside controlling force rather than potential cumulative expression of innate character. Results are par for the AH course ;)

That's probably the reason why I believe in fate to a certain degree, primarily because I believe in God.

However, one cannot deny that one does not have control over whether or not a certain sequence of events happen. Other peoples decisions can affect what happens to us, natural events can affect what happens to us. I'd argue that a lot if not the majority of what happens to us is outside of our control. These events can also influence other events. You get the picture.
    OutlawPete wrote:
    I don't believe in Heaven or Hell really but I do believe that there is some payoff and consequences in the next world. I just think we all continue in some way.

Explain this a bit more. I'm interested for obvious reasons.

Explain this a bit more. I'm interested for obvious reasons.

I can't to be honest.

I guess buddhism would be the 'religion' that would come close to what I believe happens after we kick the bucket. Some kind of Karma must exsist.

To quote Stephen Tyler ..

"You know it's true, all the things - come back to you."

No
    OutlawPete wrote: »
    I guess buddhism would be the 'religion' that would come close to what I believe happens after we kick the bucket. Some kind of Karma must exsist.

To quote Stephen Styler ..

"You know it's true, all the things - come back to you."

Even if karma exists it requires some form of intelligence to exist external to the universe. Otherwise how could it discern who has done wrong and who has done right. It also requires a universal standard of right and wrong, rather than moral relativism. Otherwise, how could karma be right in discerning what is right and wrong.

If one reasons about karma, what you've just said involves these two things:
    1) There is an intelligence external to the universe
    2) There is a universal standard of morality

Otherwise how could it be logical?

• Advertisement

Even if karma exists it requires some form of intelligence to exist external to the universe. Otherwise how could it discern who has done wrong and who has done right. It also requires a universal standard of right and wrong, rather than moral relativism. Otherwise, how could karma be right in discerning what is right and wrong.

I disagree.

Some things just work of itself as Nature does.

I think we judge ourselves in a way.

I have read a lot of near death books and some of the expereinces were people just felt pain and sorrow and joy etc etc that they have caused made a lot of sense to me.

There is vast universe out there and I think we are a small part of a much bigger picture spirtually (for want of a better word).

No
    I disagree.

Some things just work of itself as Nature does.

I think we judge ourselves in a way.

I have read a lot of near death books and soom of the expereinces were people just felt pain and sorrow and joy etc etc that they have caused made a lot of sense to me.

There is vast universe out there and I think we are a small part of a much bigger picture spirtually (for want of a better word).

How can nature discern what is good, from what is evil on a universal scale? There must be some form of intelligence in nature then, if it is to decide who is going to have bad things happen to them, and who is going to have good things happen to them.

I don't believe in karma full stop, but it doesn't make much sense.

It also could result in a very cruel view of the world. If people suffer, they deserve it because they've done bad things clearly. I don't think that's true. People who do very bad things often have very good things happen to them.

How can nature discern what is good, from what is evil on a universal scale?

I'm not saying Nature discerns what is Good and Evil, far from it.

I am saying that the Universe might just function as Nature does in that it doesn't have a conscious, it just is.

When the laws of Nature are broken, usually - illness follows. Nature doesn't decide this, is just happens and I think the Universe works on pretty much the same principal.

There is a life force of some kind. there has to be.

Anyone that has watched a loved one die and known instantly the moment it happens without being told, will understand what I mean.

There must be some form of intelligence in nature then, if it is to decide who is going to have bad things happen to them, and who is going to have good things happen to them.

I don't believe in karma full stop, but it doesn't make much sense.

It also could result in a very cruel view of the world. If people suffer, they deserve it because they've done bad things clearly. I don't think that's true. People who do very bad things often have very good things happen to them.[/quote]

No
    I'm not saying Nature discerms what is Good and Evil, far from it.

To believe in karma this is what is required. Otherwise how does nature determine how to punish the wicked, and to uphold the good?
    I am saying that the Universe might just function as Nature does in that it doesn't have a conscious, it just is.

If one is to believe this, it seems to contradict karma.
    When the laws of Nature are broken, usually - illness follows. Nature doesn't decide this, is just happens and I think the Universe works on pretty much the same principal.

"It just happens" doesn't provide much of an explanation.
    There is a life force of some kind. there has to be.

I agree with you, I don't regard it as merely a "life force" though. I don't believe in karma though, because I believe in mercy.
    Anyone that has watched a loved one die and known instantly the moment it happens without being told, will understand what I mean.

Why use the term "life force" though? I don't understand this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

No, I don't believe in fate or destiny. It's a bit like religion, a lovely concept until you have to ask why some babies are destined to be stillborn or a toddler die in a house-fire. There has to be a point to having fate or destiny, a reason for a path taking a particular turn - that would infer some sort of god meddling to me so no, absolutely not. Chance & free-will, all the way. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I dont really believe in fate but i do believe in karma, I think good things happen only to level out the bad.

No
    No, I don't believe in fate or destiny. It's a bit like religion, a lovely concept until you have to ask why some babies are destined to be stillborn or a toddler die in a house-fire. There has to be a point to having fate or destiny, a reason for a path taking a particular turn - that would infer some sort of god meddling to me so no, absolutely not. Chance & free-will, all the way. :)

I don't see how just because it might be a harsh concept at times that it makes it less valid to hold.

jameshayes: Why though? I'm really curious with this karma malarky.

To believe in karma this is what is required. Otherwise how does nature determine how to punish the wicked, and to uphold the good?

Nature doesn't determine anything.

How does a rose grow through the cracks in concrete, it doesn't decide to go left or right - it just happens.
    If one is to believe this, it seems to contradict karma.

I said Karma comes close to what I believe as I believe in consequences and reward.
    "It just happens" doesn't provide much of an explanation.

"Explanation" for what I feel the meaning of life is and what happens when we die?? Are you serious?
    I agree with you, I don't regard it as merely a "life force" though. I don't believe in karma though, because I believe in mercy.

Mercy requies a God of some sort and I do not believe in any God whatsoever.

Mercy is also a loophole for people to do what the f**k the wish and think "Ah sure, I'll be alright - God will have mercy on me".
    Why use the term "life force" though? I don't understand this.

Obi Wan has influenced me a tad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I don't see how just because it might be a harsh concept at times that it makes it less valid to hold.

You didn't ask if people thought it was was valid for you, you asked what they thought. It's not a valid concept to me because I can't see the point, I can't see it in action, I can't see anything that wouldn't have happened by chance anyway. Like most of the "faith" stuff, if you want to believe you can see patterns and intervention just about anywhere - I don't, I just see people who want to see patterns and interventions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I think Neo in the Matrix put it quite nicely
    Morpheus: Do you believe in fate, Neo?
    Neo: No.
    Morpheus: Why not?
    Neo: Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement