Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knives and Forks Upright or downwards in Dishwasher!

• 04-01-2010 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

so ? Up or down ?

Knives and forks upright or sharp ends downwards ? 108 votes

Up
    0% 0 votes
    Down
    100% 108 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭smiley girl

down, for safety!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Easy knowing the recession isn't affecting you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

down, for safety!

so some people say,
    I'm defo an up man, gets them squeaky clean :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Down. Easier to put away and less chance of falling on something and DYING.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

My Mam used to insist they didn't wash properly when they were down, but i'd rather a smudgy fork that a bloody hand!

Remember it was open one day and my nephew tried climbing on it and narrowly missed all the (admittedly spotless) upward pointing cutlery.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

down, for safety!
    QFT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

syklops wrote: »
    Easy knowing the recession isn't affecting you.

this is exactly what the recession has made me do !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Up, if you're stupid enough to stab yourself with a fork then you probably deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It's been down in the WindSock household for the last 18 yrs or so. Then suddenly mammy got with the up craze last year. Now I keep stabbing my hands. Down with cutlery!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

WindSock wrote: »
    Down with cutlery!

Up with mini-skirts?;)

1,000th post woohoo!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Up people!! if you put them down after a while the forks and Knifes break the bottom of the plastic holder you put them in, this then leads the knife/fork slipage which in turn blocks the propeller thing from going around and results in the need for a second wash!! lol..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

There really should be an Atari Jaguar choice in the poll, I just bung them in, doesn't matter which way.

tiptap wrote: »
    this is exactly what the recession has made me do !!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember when I had a dish washer back when life was good. Now its the choice of wash the plates first( in the sink) or the cutlery first(in the sink).
    Down. Easier to put away and less chance of falling on something and DYING.

Surely the first thing you do when you open the door, is take out the basket with the cutlery in it, and put them away. Gives the plates time to cool down aswell.

This business of put everything down for safety reason in case you fall on them.:rolleyes: Next people will be advocating washing the plates by hand in case you trip and land on them and a shard of wedgewood goes through your heart.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Down, also for safety reasons! Also because it makes it slightly easier to tidy away afterwards :P

What to do with chopsticks though? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Why would I put a knife or fork into my god lady wife?

(see what I did there? ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I have a dishwasher and don't use it, the gf enjoys doing the wash up too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

This business of put everything down for safety reason in case you fall on them.:rolleyes: Next people will be advocating washing the plates by hand in case you trip and land on them and a shard of wedgewood goes through your heart.

I also cook my pasta in warm water incase I burn myself. It's a little crunchy but i'm safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Down.

If anything they'll be cleaner in the downward position since the water rises up form the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

tiptap wrote: »
    Knives and Forks Upright or downwards in Dishwasher!

My missus doesn't care what way I hand them to her once she's at the sink

• Advertisement

Down.

If anything they'll be cleaner in the downward position since the water rises up form the bottom.

It doesn't work like a bath, more like a shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Got a knife in the thumb while emptying the dishwasher some years back because of some idiot putting a steak knife in upside down. You're asking for trouble having them pointing upwards.

So common! Its all about the Denby! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Up with cutlery and skirts!

Down with pants.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Why would I put a knife or fork into my god lady wife?

(see what I did there? ;))
    Yup, you forgot an o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

down AND seperate out the different types into different compartments. I tell ya you won't know yourself when it comes to putting them away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Makes no difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭straricco

keithgeo wrote: »
    Up people!! if you put them down after a while the forks and Knifes break the bottom of the plastic holder you put them in, this then leads the knife/fork slipage which in turn blocks the propeller thing from going around and results in the need for a second wash!! lol..

Deffo up!! As said above the knives will cut the plastic thing!! But in saying that I have been scrapped with a knife/fork on occassion....

Kiera wrote: »
    Yup, you forgot an o

No I didn't. My imaginary current wife is a deity. :p

Come to think of it a lot of my actual marriage was imaginary too. I see a pattern emerging.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I dont know, id have to ask my butler...

I pack them down. For safety and hygiene reasons. Its not like you can take them out by the base of the cultery when unloading if they are pointing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Forks and dinner knives up. Sharp knives down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Up , nothin like the bit of danger when loading the crap in there when your locked:D. For some reason Im compelled to load the dishwasher when I come in from a night on the sauce:confused:.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Forks definitely up - otherwise they protude through the rack (and as mentioned previously ultimately damage it)
    Normal knives go both ways with me (same with spoons - if they all go down they tend to stick together and not wash properly). Sharp knives point down.

What really gets me is when someone in the household (who shall remain nameless) puts the long knives in at such an angle they catch the "propellor thingy" - can't be good for the machine or its efficiency

She
    That person also overfills the whole damn thing, then puts it on a 30 minute cycle, and wonders why half the items come out dirty

If only they included lessons on how to fill a dishwasher in domestic science!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I don't concern myself with the trivialities of domestic husbandry.

I look after household security and electronic product maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Don't use one, but if I had to, I'd put ordinary tableware handle down,steak knives etc point down

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

From: http://www.watoday.com.au/national/child-impaled-in-freak-dishwasher-accident-20090526-blj2.html
    A five-year-old girl is in a stable condition after a freak accident in which she was impaled on a knife in a dishwasher.

Police say the child tripped on the open door of the dishwasher and fell onto the blade of a knife in the cutlery rack.

She is the daughter of a police officer stationed at Eulo in south-west Queensland.

The accident happened around 7.30pm on Monday at the police residence attached to the police station.

Police from Cunnamulla and an ambulance came to her aid and the girl was stabilised before the Royal Flying Doctor Service took her to Brisbane, where she underwent surgery at the Mater Children's Hospital.

/thread

She's stable.

/Opens thread.

If it was a Crocodile Dundee knife, fair enough though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

Forks and dinner knives up. Sharp knives down.

+1 third option on poll needed!

Ever had the stabby fright of an upwards pointing sharp knife in an unfamiliar dishwasher? Unpleasant

The cutlery rack can be removed. In fact its designed to be removed when removing the cutlery.

And what kind of a twit leaves the door of the dishwasher open with the knives exposed when his 5-year old is nearby.

I said it before:
    1. Open Door
    2. Take out cutlery rack
    3. Empty cutlery rack
    4. Allow 5-year old into kitchen.

You have to pass a test to drive a car but anyone can have kids.

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Up. They get washed better that way :P

The dirt doesn't flow from the handle to the part you eat with, nor does it get stuck at the bottom etc etc.

• Advertisement

Up. They get washed better that way :P

The dirt doesn't flow from the handle to the part you eat with, nor does it get stuck at the bottom etc etc.

I think we finally found something we agree on.

You have to pass a test to drive a car but anyone can have kids.

Have any yourself?

These days I eat everything with my fingers off the cardboard box it was delivered in so this debate holds little relevance for me.

stovelid wrote: »
    Have any yourself?

Whats that got to do with anything?

Whats that got to do with anything?

I was hoping to pick up some parenting tips. Seeing as you have a five year old and have never once made an error of judgment or mistake.

You could do a book or TV series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I was hoping to pick up some parenting tips. Seeing as you have a five year old and have never once made an error of judgment or mistake.

You could do a book or TV series.

Tone it down.

If you want parenting tips try the Parenting forum. :)

TheZohan wrote: »

If you want parenting tips try the Parenting forum. :)

I don't.

I don't.

But.... but..... you said. :confused:

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    But.... but..... you said. :confused:

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

Definetley down, can't stand the sight of an upright sharp knife!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement