Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Back Beepers

Options
  • 31-05-2008 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Just a question for you to think about...

say something happens on the road like someone cuts you off or pulls out in front of you etc and you beeps them... why the hell do they beep back when they are in the wrong????????

and another thing

90% of the time its a woman that beeps back.

it's so pointless and make the person beeping back look like a fool
    (My Girl friend does this... I Cringe when she does it when im in the car. i just hope to god that no one recognises me)

anyone here guilty of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

grahambo wrote: »

Are you not old enough to realise women are always in the right?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tiredmam

I dont know why this is,i have seen it a few times, im a woman and i think twice about pulling out in front of someone. Your always in the wrong if you do that.
    If a car is like a mile away and i pull out from a T junction or whatever and continue on at the speed limit, i look in the mirror and see an angry face. People seem to speed up to a person who has pulled out and NOT heed the speed limit at all. People ask for accidents to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

think of it this way.
    a short friendly beep would mean "sorry bout that",
    a long angry beep means "what the hell are you beeping for!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

I was pulling into my driveway last sunday, I have to cross a buslane normally to get into my driveway and its just before a left turn and people often get confused so I have to use my hazards. I was driving up in the buslane being a Sunday and as I was slowed down and hazards on a car from the outside lane pulled into my lane then realised I was going into my driveway and then beeped at me and gave me a look so I beeped back as if "wtf are you beeping at?!?". Its not as if this all happened very quickly either. I was quite confused actually.

I suppose its like "sorry why are you beeping at me? You were in the wrong" type thing to beep back? Obviously a lot of the time the person in the wrong thinks he/she is in the right anyway so would beep back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

su_dios wrote: »
    I was pulling into my driveway last sunday, I have to cross a buslane normally to get into my driveway and its just before a left turn and people often get confused so I have to use my hazards. I was driving up in the buslane being a Sunday and as I was slowed down and hazards on a car from the outside lane pulled into my lane then realised I was going into my driveway and then beeped at me and gave me a look so I beeped back as if "wtf are you beeping at?!?". Its not as if this all happened very quickly either. I was quite confused actually.

I suppose its like "sorry why are you beeping at me? You were in the wrong" type thing to beep back? Obviously a lot of the time the person in the wrong thinks he/she is in the right anyway so would beep back.

Lol I hate even trying to turn down that road because of the a-holes that come flying down the bus lane. I've often wondered how you manage to not get smashed trying to get into your drive way....

• Advertisement

I was pulling into my driveway last sunday, I have to cross a buslane normally to get into my driveway and its just before a left turn and people often get confused so I have to use my hazards. .

the hazards are causing the confusion here. it's illegal to use them whilst moving, and you also give the impression that you're either in an emergency situation, or about to just stop on the bus lane. why not just indicate left, slow down and turn into your driveway. if you approach the turn off slow enough, there should be no confusion to the people behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the hazards are causing the confusion here. it's illegal to use them whilst moving, and you also give the impression that you're either in an emergency situation, or about to just stop on the bus lane. why not just indicate left, slow down and turn into your driveway. if you approach the turn off slow enough, there should be no confusion to the people behind.

I used to do it that way but people realy don't cop on to what you're doing. Most of the time its where people have just pulled in behind you into the lane thinking you're taking the same turn as them and then they get a shock. Pulling in slowly as well doesn't always work with all the buses and taxis flying down. Its a tough one really but the hazards do work most of the time and make people that bit more aware and alert them to the fact that I'm not taking the left turn ( I indicate left first then put the hazards on just as I come up to the driveway and pull in).

Approaching it slowly does work some of the time but as I said you get people coming into the lane behind you at speed. I wasn't aware it was illegal to use them while moving? In fact I'm nearly sure thats wrong? They are to be used to alert of a hazard... such an incident could be roadworks in the middle of the road meaning you have to pull out, thus alerting the cars behind that theres something ahead they may not be able to see. Using the hazards may cause slight confusion but make them more cautious and in turn not having someone rear end me coming into my house.

Also Hanley before I saw it was you I was like WTF how does this person know what road I am talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I wasn't aware it was illegal to use them while moving? In fact I'm nearly sure thats wrong?
    Rules of the Road says you can use hazards to inform people behind you of "traffic slowing down sharply".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

my advice for the day:

Do not back beep, back beepers.
    I was on a roundabout, a car came onto a roundabout too close to me, and I had to jam on the brakes, no biggy, but in the wet it might have caused a problem. I decide to give a beep and say "sort out your driving", he immediately beeps back, and I see a finger in the back windscreen. so stupidly i beeped again. at the next lights i realised there is 4 lads in the car, 2 of them get out and berate me. luckily the lights went green before anything serious happened!!

back beepers are stressed out and or very angry

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hi All

Just a question for you to think about...

say something happens on the road like someone cuts you off or pulls out in front of you etc and you beeps them... why the hell do they beep back when they are in the wrong????????

and another thing

(My Girl friend does this... I Cringe when she does it when im in the car. i just hope to god that no one recognises me)

They beep back to simply say "What are you beeping at muppet"

Its so pointless to beep in the first place. :pac:

• Advertisement

if you have your hazards on, then you're not indicating left as you turn from the buss lane into your house. surely that's ridiculous?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Are your hazards separate from your indicators? Mine aren't. My hazards simply flash both indicators, so I couldn't indicate and flash hazards at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tiredmam

It is not illegal to drive with hazard lights on. On a motorway coming to a slow down or emergency you have to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

girl friend did it again.

on the raheny road around the back of the firestation.
    we're coming out of grange park onto the raheny road (turning right)

She stops in the yellow box blocking traffic going towards raheny village.

van has to stop and beeps
    she beeps back
    I cringe and sink into the seat.

luckily we all got moving again a second or 2 after that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Shouldnt you be a little more concerned with the standard of your girlfriends driving than the fact that she beeps at people?
    It is pointless though, i suppose its just people who think no matter what they do on the road, they are in the right and you have no right to even think that they might not be perfect.,

Advertisement