Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Went through Amber light at the Greenhills Hotel Junction Ennis Rr Limerick

Options
  • 14-06-2015 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi,

Lads I just want to know what the story is with amber lights and is there any red light camera in limerick especially around the greenhills hotel junction on the Ennis road. There was no squad cars around. But there is a 360 camera on the junction. Are these cameras for Garda use or just traffic congestion cameras to see how heaving the traffic is. I am a new full licensed driver. Could I get penalty points or a fine in the post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

AppleKidd wrote: »
    Hi,

Lads I just want to know what the story is with amber lights and is there any red light camera in limerick especially around the greenhills hotel junction on the Ennis road. There was no squad cars around. But there is a 360 camera on the junction. Are these cameras for Garda use or just traffic congestion cameras to see how heaving the traffic is. I am a new full licensed driver. Could I get penalty points or a fine in the post.

At present, there is only one single "Red Light Camera" in Ireland, and it is in Dublin, on the Luas Line, but they plan more soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AppleKidd

At present, there is only one single "Red Light Camera" in Ireland, and it is in Dublin, on the Luas Line, but they plan more soon.

Good to hear, would you think I would be okay so. I don't normally do this. I was a small bit worried about the 360 camera over the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭highdef

Well if you went through an amber light, a red light camera should not cause any worry to you. nothing at all to worry about :)

highdef wrote: »
    Well if you went through an amber light, a red light camera should not cause any worry to you. nothing at all to worry about :)

But what about if the light went red when the car was half way through the junction, I am worried about the 360 camera, are they only used for traffic congestion. Or can the Gardai have access to the cameras. Also when I was passing back the same road they are small black boxes that look like camera at the side of the traffic lights. But I was thinking and hoping they are senors for the lights to change. I am new to driving and a small bit worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭highdef

If the light was amber as you crossed the stop line but it went to red as you were half way across the junction, then you have not gone through a red light. A red light camera will only be triggered if you cross the stop line with a red light. As you have stated that this did not happen, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...going through an amber is not a big deal if stopping would have a following car in your rear window. Do not slam on the brakes at amber if you suspect that the following car is tailgating and unlikely to stop.

You may incur an €80.00 fine on the chance of being spotted by a beady eyed Garda in a bad mood but the alternative of having a following test pilot performing back surgery on you with his car is much more traumatic and life changing.

Same applies to Buslanes and other details, for now stick to road survival and keeping up with the herd. Many people swerve out of commencing Buslanes in a panic without gently merging with traffic already in the car lane....a collision with a ton of speeding metal is much more traumatic than a meeting with a cop over being 2-3 seconds in a Buslane while waiting to merge into the car lane.

doolox wrote: »
    ...going through an amber is not a big deal if stopping would have a following car in your rear window. Do not slam on the brakes at amber if you suspect that the following car is tailgating and unlikely to stop.

You may incur an €80.00 fine on the chance of being spotted by a beady eyed Garda in a bad mood but the alternative of having a following test pilot performing back surgery on you with his car is much more traumatic and life changing.

Same applies to Buslanes and other details, for now stick to road survival and keeping up with the herd. Many people swerve out of commencing Buslanes in a panic without gently merging with traffic already in the car lane....a collision with a ton of speeding metal is much more traumatic than a meeting with a cop over being 2-3 seconds in a Buslane while waiting to merge into the car lane.

What about that 360 camera is it operated by the Gardai or is it for traffic congestion to see if traffic is heaving in a certain area. Thanks

Sorry about all the same questions but I got a bit worried especially driving my parents car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

You will not be fined for this. END OF.

Advertisement