Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bono has put his foot in it again: Internet policing idea draws fire

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

I think the pratt has a point,
    The internet is a piracy band wagon

But what is it about him I looked at the earlier debate and IMO he does not pay his fair share of tax in this country

He does sterling work on human rights and he sites China as an example we should all aspire to idiot

PS I am a huge fan nof his concerts and music, but I still think him a twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

An ISP providers response to Bono's recent New York Times article

http://opinion.enta.net/2010/01/05/bono-%E2%80%93-stick-to-singing/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Hmph, those ISP providers should stick to providing ISP's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Bono is a cnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

since when can he sing?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Bono can be as full of himself as he wants but as long as he is giving the same amount of help to the poor,he has my full respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

As soon as every government leader, the pope and the continent of Africa tell him that, then we'll be sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Shock horror. Another multi multi multi multi multi-millionaire musician is peeved by free music sharing.

Ask Lily Allen if it's such a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I'd prefer if he stopped doing anything!

He annoys me so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

• Advertisement

Interesting. I was waiting for somebody to react publicly.

Related thread here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

There is more to this NYT article it seems.
    Graham Linehan (of Fr Ted fame) tweeted today:
    Things that make you go hmm. Part 1. http://tinyurl.com/964ud2 ...and part 2 http://tinyurl.com/cfqbec

Basically a private equity firm that Bono is now a Managing Director and co founder of has taken a stake in EMI, Warner Music, Universal, Interscope and EA Games.

Bono couldn't give 2 ****s about bands that have made their name from internet celebrity, he is just looking to line his own pockets, again. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm waiting for a string of world leaders to visit him and ask him to give money to the poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,709 ✭✭✭✭walshb

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'm waiting for a string of world leaders to visit him and ask him to give money to the poor.

No no no. They will visit him and he will thell THEM to donate OUR money.
    That's the "genius" of the twat, he's great at lecturing folks on
    how to spend their money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

dolliemix wrote: »
    New thread related to this topic

Whats wrong with this one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,709 ✭✭✭✭walshb

They were never great anyway. The last decent hit they had was Achtung Baby back in 1991. But, like so many acts who establish themselves, they live off their past successes and reputation. Look at ****ing Paul McCartney:rolleyes:

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Whats wrong with this one ?

Nothing - just thought people might be interested. Also it backs up the point I was trying to make in this thread so I'm feeling smug :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

The real movement towards mass piracy came with the rise in popularity of the ipod and it's Apple (with whom U2 has a business partnership) who is the main beneficiary. A 160GB ipod can hold over 1,500 albums yet who has the money to buy them legitimately? Not many people out of the 10s of millions of ipod owners have €10k to spend on music. How many can even afford to fill up an 8GB Nano legally?
    A company bringing out a music player with that capacity must be aware that its greatest appeal is the availabilty of free content to fill it. If you think back to 10 years ago before the rise of MP3's most people would have owned maybe 30 or 40 Cds. A serious music fan might have had a couple of hundred and only the truly dedicated/obsessive would have owned anything like the amount of albums you can fit on an ipod.
    I'm actually in favour of a 'content tax' of say €100 a year to be levied by ISPs on all broadband subscribers and divided by the music and film industries as they see fit. For this net users can get everything they want quickly and in high quality.
    Pandora's Box has already been opened and it's impossible for comapnies to return to anything like their previous business models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

From what I understand, we, or at least several other European countries, already pay a tax on blank cds to cover piracy. So if I buy a hundred stash of blank cds for whatever they are these days then I should be ok to download, er, about 6.5gig of mp3s :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

i do buy albums that are over 80% listenable meaning most are the songs are good and only very little fillers.in my opinion most modern albums have about 2 good songs with the rest being fillers.most of the albums i own are best of albums,with the exception of a fw of my favourite bands,the rest of my music collection i cherry pick off limewire. the last time i checked U2 we packing they're albums fulk of nothing but fillers so bono wont be getting any of my cash anytime soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

DJ's using laptops In the UK must now have a license issued by PPL. It costs £200+ VAT annually but the music on the laptop must be backed up by original copies.

What DJ is going to carry several flight cases full of Cd's along with them to a gig in case a PPL inspector turns up. Also I have yet to see digital "signatures" attached to any MP3 that I officially purchased on line.

Advertisement