Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skangers and Jap imports

Options
  • 18-05-2008 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

Went for a good drive today and noticed a higher proportion than usual of Skangers in Jap imports. The main types of car i noted were civics,glanzas, levins and IS200s. The question im asking is how come skangers love these types of cars?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What car do you drive?

considering all cars are imported into ireland, every car i seen today was a skanger in an import, heck i was out in my jap imported avensis!

imo cop on, idiots drive normal cars too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Here we go again!

*Sits back with popcorn*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

kceire wrote: »
    What car do you drive?

considering all cars are imported into ireland, every car i seen today was a skanger in an import, heck i was out in my jap imported avensis!

imo cop on, idiots drive normal cars too.

Just an observation, maybe i should have added further and said that most of the cars had mods such as big exhausts, big spoilers, white alloys etc.

MSporty wrote: »
    Just an observation, maybe i should have added further and said that most of the cars had mods such as big exhausts, big spoilers, white alloys etc.

well different strokes for different folks, live and let live. or maybe you just wana open up another boy racer thread or old man racer or girl racer thread, because they exist no matter what car the drive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

let see, the cars in question are very reliable and very good on the petrol usually. They drive excellent and nothing ever goes wrong with them. Parts are easy to get for the mechanical side of things as they usually take similar parts to other model that are common here so easy enough to get engine bits.

They actually pick good cars with good prefermance in them.

I drove a jap import before and would definitly drive one again and i am in no way a "skanger".

They know how to pick the right models to be easily able to tune and that drive well. Excellent cars.

So OP what you drive?

Edit: the mods are because the cars in question can easily be got mods for. Is this a problem with the mods only because this has been done to death at this stage.

• Advertisement

Theres nothing wrong with driving a Jap import thats not my point, im just wondering why a high proportion of people who look like Skangers drive them?

Theres nothing wrong with driving a Jap import thats not my point, im just wondering why a high proportion of people who look like Skangers drive them?

ha ha ha, i think you should go look in the mirror mate, maybe you look like a skanger too.

as we asked a few times now, what do you drive?????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Cause they are fairly cheap on tax/insurance and can be made to go quite fast? I dunno, cause their skanger friends have those types of cars and they want to fit in?

ha ha ha, i think you should go look in the mirror mate, maybe you look like a skanger too.

as we asked a few times now, what do you drive?????????????????

Your getting very worked up over this, it was just a question based on observation. Im not insulting any specific individual when I say I saw someone who looked like a skanger driving a paricular type of car. Everyones idea of what a Skanger looks like is different.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What defines a 'skanger' varies from person to person. From the outside I might look like one when I'm driving (small car, loud dance music, and I might even be wearing a football shirt at times, shock horror) but my car isn't modified, isn't Japanese let alone JDM, I've never worn a baseball cap in the car, continue to list stereotypes ad infinitum...

But the kind of person you're probably referring to that drivers JDM imports around Dublin drives VXR Vauxhalls back in Donegal, for instance. Its nothing to do with the car.

• Advertisement

Your getting very worked up over this, it was just a question based on observation. Im not insulting any specific individual when I say I saw someone who looked like a skanger driving a paricular type of car. Everyones idea of what a Skanger looks like is different.

because its back to the age old debate, knackers drive civics, snobby fooks drive BMW's, SUV scum etc etc

your words : a high proportion of people who look like Skangers drive them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Hmmm... Looks like the bandwagon didn't make the expected stop here. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

yea. skangers drive skanger cars, wear skanger clothes, they act like skangers and mingle with fellow skangers.

all this makes skangers extremely easy to recognise. Imagine if the perfectly well dressed bog-standard ford focus driving gentleman next to you turned out to be a skanger. what would you do? say "ahh! you're a skanger!!" and run like hell?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Would probably say "Oh my word!", immediately followed by his gold monocle falling into his brandy with an amusing *plook* noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

rofl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

Jap imports have always been popular with skangers because of their reliability record. A euro-built wagon would be too slow and unreliable compared to the good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Considering all cars are imported into Ireland, every car i seen today was a skanger in an import, heck i was out in my Jap imported avensis!

Didn't realise that Burnaston in Derbyshire has moved a few thousand miles east:D!

In fairness an enormous amount of EG Civics are driven by knackers(at least they are down here), complete with tin foil exhausts(which sound crap btw)! The Levin and early 90s Glanza turbos are guilty of having the same type of driver too! Rarely see knackers driving the other favoured modified cars, the EJ Civic, late 90s Glanza or an Altezza though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Went for a good drive today and noticed a higher proportion than usual of Skangers in Jap imports. The main types of car i noted were civics,glanzas, levins and IS200s. The question im asking is how come skangers love these types of cars?

1 sentence: The Fast and The Furious.

as soon as the kids they thought and i qoute " S*** IM DRIVING A RACECAR !!!! a new exhaust and ill get 20 hp , just enough for my 1.3 dual carb civic to beat a FD rx-7 or a jz supra !!! but when i save up my doll checks ill get a veilside knock off bodykit some delux paint and have a skyline replica. Ill show all them kids what being a ricer* is all about !! "

* = Ricer, a term being kids who buy half decent cars ( starlets , accents, integras etc ) and either mod them cheaply , pooly or just make a b***** of modding it....

they only drive Asian cars but there also known for doing this to fords , frenchies... anything they can get there hands on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Please see attached scientific definition:

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Skanger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Skangers buy Jap imports, just like **** buy BMW's

..... FACT! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

craichoe wrote: »
    Please see attached scientific definition:

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Skanger

Brilliant, didn't read it all, but gave me a good laugh from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

GTC wrote: »
    Jap imports have always been popular with skangers because of their reliability record. A euro-built wagon would be too slow and unreliable compared to the good stuff.

i saw skangers in a 1.4 rover over the weekend. It amused me with my and my monocle also fell out. What amused me the most was that the car had Oz racing Hks ... Stickers and was still on factory non alloy wheels.

I do miss my S14 though. My honest guess would be why skangers drive Japanese imports is there cheap compared to domestic cars per bhp eg an S14 and a rwd Cossie. (flames for comparing those two on the way:) )

Then again what do i know go and ask them. Im going to go practice my polo and sip port.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Skangers buy Jap imports, just like **** buy BMW's

..... FACT! :pac:

LOL! :D

These days most of the older 90's BMW are driven by skangers as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

I think this thread needs:

258Troll_spray.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Does the OP not drive one of these?

audi3.jpg

Loads of skanger mobiles on the roads today, yellow civics and such like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Loads of skanger mobiles on the roads today, yellow civics and such like
    Ironically there were never EG Civics in yellow, only a handful of EK limited edition Jordan VTIs, where aren't Jap imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

blastman wrote: »
    I think this thread needs:

258Troll_spray.jpg

It certaily doesn't need bumpage

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement