Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car has failed nct 3 times on brake imblance issue

• 03-08-2015 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi all,i am am having terrible trouble with my car passing the nct on the rear brake imbalance,it has to be 30 per cent to pass,it failed at first at 70 per cent,brought it to garage and got all work done,pistons changed etc.
    Went for test again and it failed on same issue at 60 percent,brought it back to same garage and has failed again at 50 per cent imblance.
    I just dont know what else to do,go back to same garage or bring it to another.
    It is a 01 toyota yaris and has no other issues with it?
    Would really appreciate some advice on why it keeps failing,thank you.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

You say you had it in a garage I take it the handbrake cable was checked along with the rear brake shoes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Get a new mechanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

canhefixit wrote: »
    You say you had it in a garage I take it the handbrake cable was checked along with the rear brake shoes?

Im not sure if this was checked,its very frustrating failing over the same thing over and over again,will check with the garage was this done,although they dont seem to know how to fix the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

Did they put any new parts in the braking system?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

Defo a new mechanic needed

That should be a very straight forward fix and defo shouldn't take 3 or 4 times to fail the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭hamburg

a guy in work has a 03 yaris that failed the nct earlier this year on rear brake balance and i seem to remember it was down to a defective brake bias or brake proportioning valve or something to that effect. i remember thinking at the time it must be fitted on the back axle but he told me it was fitted behind the engine on the bulkhead ? i never actually looked at it, but it probably is attached someway to the brake master cylinder but i could be wrong. anyway he got toyota to fit a new one and the car passed the retest. if he is in tommorow i will quiz him. by the way i remember the nct guy actually pinpointed this valve as the problem and told him it was definatly the cause of the failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sounds like the proportioning valve for sure, easy enough fix.
    Try a scrapped part first as they are expensive new.
    Its a small cast iron part that bolts to the bulkhead, all the brake lines run into and out of it.
    I had to replace mine before and it solved the issue of brake imbalance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Is the imbalance on the hand brake or the foot brake? It's most likely either a sized cable if it's the handbrake or the proportioning valve of its the footbrake.

No matter which one it is, definately get a new mechanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

Thank for all your help guys,will run all this by mechanic and see can he sort it,although i shouldnt have to be,he should know himself,just want it sorted now,so stressful and costing me a fortune,or maybe i will just go to a different mechanic,i already paid him nearly 200 euro to sort it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I had an imbalance issue, turned out to be a faulty shock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I had an imbalance issue, turned out to be a faulty shock.

Braking imbalance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Braking imbalance?

Oddly yes. I think it had something to do with uneven wear on the pads and once discovered a replacement was faulty. I don't discount the possiblity that I'm mistaken, but 99% sure.

My knowledge of cars stretches to it goes Bruuuuuum and ohhh isn't that pretty!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

abacus120 wrote: »
    Thank for all your help guys,will run all this by mechanic and see can he sort it,although i shouldnt have to be,he should know himself,just want it sorted now,so stressful and costing me a fortune,or maybe i will just go to a different mechanic,i already paid him nearly 200 euro to sort it

Coming back to porsche boy, is this on handbrake or foot brake? Two very different kettle of fish. Are you sure your mechanic is fixing the right one?
    If handbrake it shouldn't be too hard to adjust, but if footbrake, there's a lot more to it.
    Has the garage tried inspecting/checking/replacing or overhauling the brake calipers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Coming back to porsche boy, is this on handbrake or foot brake? Two very different kettle of fish. Are you sure your mechanic is fixing the right one?
    If handbrake it shouldn't be too hard to adjust, but if footbrake, there's a lot more to it.
    Has the garage tried inspecting/checking/replacing or overhauling the brake calipers?
    Shoes and drums on the back of those, and I think the OP said wheel cylinders were changed. But you're quite right in that the approach depends on handbrake or foot brake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

abacus120 wrote:

Surley if you paid your mechanic to fix the problem, and he didnt fix it, the second and third time should of been free?

Do not go back to this cowboy! Find a capable mechanic.

Advertisement