Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Anglers Rest - A plaice :-) for fishy tales - it was HOW big !!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

That's interesting, but I just duct-taped it back together and its quite stable. Would it hold a fish though...

Did you break it just above the handle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

No a bit above halfway. Congrats on mod...

No a bit above halfway. Congrats on mod...

Thanks David.

Generally, the nearer to the top, the less load there is on it. (Thats why it's thinner there) So you want to re-join the two halves, without making a rigid unbending place, because the rod would break at the edge of the unbent section later. Picture an archer's bow bent to send the arrow. Now picture the same bow with a 6" piece of copper pipe slid on before bending it, and what will happen when the load it applied by pulling on the string.
    So the usual way is to glue a thin piece of fishing rod inside, to reinforce, with half inside each side of the break. It's a flexible join. Every tackle shop has assorted tips broken and set aside to insert into repairs.

Yeah, that's exactly what I did, I fitted them into each other then taped them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

for the first time today i got a chance to fish from a beach kayak, something ive been meaning to get around to all summer. I previously tried fly fishing from it but retreated to shore in a few minutes with my tail between my legs - disaster! but prob just a matter of practice.

Today tho I used the butt section of my spinning rod and geared up with some mackerel feathers. Paddled out a couple of hundred yards and started jigging. Got a fair few mackerel in no time. There was something exciting about it.

Would recommend it to anyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jake99

jake99 here is there any good places to go fishing with my son before he goes back to school in dublin or just out side , looking for names of places and if u can camp as well as fish going mad to get out ,. thanks jake 99

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

Whats the stability like in one of those yokes?
    was thinking of getting one or one of those basstender boats.
    SeaFields wrote: »
    for the first time today i got a chance to fish from a beach kayak, something ive been meaning to get around to all summer. I previously tried fly fishing from it but retreated to shore in a few minutes with my tail between my legs - disaster! but prob just a matter of practice.

Today tho I used the butt section of my spinning rod and geared up with some mackerel feathers. Paddled out a couple of hundred yards and started jigging. Got a fair few mackerel in no time. There was something exciting about it.

Would recommend it to anyone :)

TimMac wrote: »

Seems grand but i have no frame of reference. It was bought for a bit of messing about at the beach but i just decided to try dropping a set of feathers over the side once out deep. Did it again today and got 2 dozen mackerel. Its funny when you have three on at a time they tow the kayak along!

I would venture out too far in it in anything other than a slight ripple tho.

Ya anything bigger took those feathers it could be a submarine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Have a look at this review from Irish angler magazine, i dont have one but i think they look ok for calm water, i would not be mad about using them on big windy lakes or slightly choppy seas.

http://www.irishangler.ie/Reviews/page_13/article_13/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭DConway

Since its into the closing stages of the trout and salmon season has anyone got any big trips coming up?

I'm going out on Lough Currane in Waterville either this week or next. Going to try and plan the session right so that the weather is on my side. Have been unlucky with conditions out there most trips.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Since its into the closing stages of the trout and salmon season has anyone got any big trips coming up?

I'm going out on Lough Currane in Waterville either this week or next. Going to try and plan the session right so that the weather is on my side. Have been unlucky with conditions out there most trips.
    I'm going to O Flynn for the last time til next season for my last chance to catch a trout on the fly, anyone have any tips on what flies to use on O Flynn this month, wets or drys.

A close to one pound trout I caught on the worm in Castlecoote, River Suck. If only he was on the fly... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

A close to one pound trout I caught on the worm in Castlecoote, River Suck. If only he was on the fly... :(
    You should have been using the fly then! Keep at it man, none of that worm shite :)

• Advertisement

Well done!
    Keep it up David. They get bigger and the gaps between them get shorter!

Rycn wrote: »
    You should have been using the fly then! Keep at it man, none of that worm shite :)
    It's certainly not the spot for the fly to be honest with you. I've tried the fly there a few times and there'd be very few rising, the second I thrown in a worm, trout is on. I've been there on days when it hasn't rained in a week and it's covered in flys and they will always go for a worm. It just suits that river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Was down taking a walk by the canal earlier today, just outside of dublin. Was very heartened to see a good bit of fish life around the place. I was even lucky enough to see a HUGE pike taking a roach or a rudd right in front of my eyes! Just a shame I didnt have my rod with me! There was two lads fishing further up and I was going to tell them what I had seen, but then I heard them talking in a non Irish accent shall we say... so I decided to keep it to my self!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Good on you not to tell them Ive never seen a pike eat something

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FullOf..IT

thehamo wrote: »
    but then I heard them talking in a non Irish accent shall we say... so I decided to keep it to my self!:P

Yeah thats what happens when ya leave Dublin

• Advertisement

FullOf..IT wrote: »
    Yeah thats what happens when ya leave Dublin
    No way? Oh wait...

Got new flyline its called precision trout weight forward gonna try it out tommorow

/off topic

I was supposed to be going fishing today BUT instead I'm putting the feet up and watching "the sunday game live" and "the sunday game" as I was in Croke park and didnt see it. Go on the rebels :D

/on topic

Tight lines everyone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 larrythelookout

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

I have a problem that's similar to the OP. I started fly-fishing back in July. I've been out 6 or 7 times since then, all on small trout lakes in the NW, but I still haven't managed to catch a trout. I'd really like to catch one before the season ends so I'm hoping to get one or two more trips in before then.

What kind of weather conditions should I be looking out for when planning a trip? I'm thinking of heading out this week. I've heard that the water is really high in the lake I'm heading to at the moment. Forecast for tomorrow is for light breeze, mix of sunshine and heavy showers. Later in the week is forecast for stronger winds.

Caught a Salmon yesterday spinning on a size 5 copper mepps, he put up a great fight took me all over the place was a good 5 minutes before he gave up. as usual had no net so had to lift him out. Id say he was about 7/8 pounds but looking at his back had been in the river a long time.
    Didnt look very tasty so he was put back :D

Caught a yesterday spinning on a size 5 copper mepps, he put up a great fight took me all over the place was a good 5 minutes before he gave up. as usual had no net so had to lift him out. Id say he was about 7/8 pounds but looking at his back had been in the river a long time.
    Didnt look very tasty so he was put back :D
    Caught a what? I presume it was a pike? Good job :)

No a Salmon RYCN, still no water there but they are up the river waiting for the next flood.

No a Salmon RYCN, still no water there but they are up the river waiting for the next flood.
    Oh sorry man :o

Nice catch :), what was wrong with his back?

Nothing she was all black on her back and down his sides a bit from rubbing off the bank. Id say she was in the river a while, wouldnt taste great, plus she was a hen so I threw here back.
    cheers

• Advertisement

Here's another survey for ye.
    Coastwatch Europe seeks volunteers for 'eco-audit'

MEMBERS OF the public are being urged to volunteer for the first survey of Europe’s coastlines since 2005, starting in Ireland next weekend.

The first such “eco-audit” took place in 1987, in collaboration with The Irish Times.

“We are looking for volunteers who would take on a survey unit – that is 500m of shore – and walk it once at low tide with a questionnaire and notes in their hand to record their findings”, said Coastwatch Europe co-ordinator Karin Dubsky.

The survey of the shore is to run this autumn across Europe, with as much as possible of Ireland’s coastline being surveyed from October 1st to 14th.

“Obviously, the more people who participate, the more we will be able to cover,” Ms Dubsky said.

“If they are interested, we also have some water quality survey kits for nitrates and extra questions on biodiversity, thanks to a grant from the Department of the Environment. We’re also looking for dumps, illegal wetland damage and water pollution....

Link here with details of the survey form. If anyone was looking for something to do and felt like highlight pollution in their local angling spot it could be worth doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Made my weekly trip to Maynooth Fishery today and caught 8 lovely trout, best was a beaut of 21 inches and fat as a pig. I lost another 3 in weed and snatched at about half a dozen. Usually I'm quite content to catch 2 or 3 fish but I'm well chuffed with today :) (sorry for bragging :o)

Well done man what did you catch them on?
    Daroxtar wrote: »
    Made my weekly trip to Maynooth Fishery today and caught 8 lovely trout, best was a beaut of 21 inches and fat as a pig. I lost another 3 in weed and snatched at about half a dozen. Usually I'm quite content to catch 2 or 3 fish but I'm well chuffed with today :) (sorry for bragging :o)

Got the majority of them on a Black Zonker until it got snapped off in the weeds and then got the rest on an olive Montana type nymph. The fish were feeding on some really small midge things but i couldn't get them to look at any of the buzzers or dry flies i put out at first. Soon as i changed to the bigger pattern - Bam :)

The two lads out in maynooth are sound arent they Darren and Mick

Ya, they're really sound. I only started going there a few months back and they've been very friendly

Just a quick question for ye. With all this snow there is loads of ads for various attachments for footwear to stop the slipping. Such as these. It occurred to me they could be a handy thing in the bag for the summer when the river gets particularly slippery from summer weed if you dont have studs on the waders. Would they work?! :confused:

Fastest caught first salmon ever they think....linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

looks like Liam Neeson is as cool as he appears. i'm looking forward to watching this programme whenever it's finished.

http://www.midcurrent.com/news/2011/01/fly-fishing-people-liam-neeson-1.html

my favourite fishing programme still has to be 'Rod and Line' with Sir Michael Hordern. nice and old fashioned. must have watched the entire series 10 times now.

• Advertisement

Did anyone venture out on the 15th or yesterday?!

Ya went out for an hour in the evening when it dried up, nothing doing the flood in the river was too heavy & water was too dirty.
    still though nice to get a bit of practice in! :D
    How about yourself?

I havent yet. Used to make a point of getting out for an hour around the 15th just for an hour. An expression of freedom if you will! Just head to a local river or stream and go for a cast. Might get out on Sunday for an hour when herself needs to go back to bed with a hangover ;)

Actually found a little stream down in Kerry last week when I was down with herself. Looks like it might produce something, some nice pools away from the road. Always nice to fish where no one fishes and where you havent fished before.

Head melted from looking at all the fly fishing tackle on EBay. Hours and hours of life lost staring at a screen, salivating. Jesus i need a few days off and a bit of fishing.

Saw this posted in the bargain alerts forum. Might be handy as a spare pair.

And Happy St. Patricks day. The unofficial start of the trout season for many of ye. Tight lines.

i'm probably going to check these out. I got a couple of pairs from Aldi and they were brilliant.
    however,
    Polaroids start at 20 euro in chemists and they tend to be just that little bit better.
    the daughter in Rory's fishing shop in Temple Bar has a big cardboard box full of sunglasses that are polarized. they start at 20 euro also and they are well named brands. at least she had them last year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The aldi pairs are very good, I've got them a few times.

My partner got me these and they're fantastic, really handy to be able to click them on and off as needed and they're almost un-looseable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

Ya went out for an hour in the evening when it dried up, nothing doing the flood in the river was too heavy & water was too dirty.
    still though nice to get a bit of practice in! :D
    How about yourself?
    i thought rivers werent open till the 1st of march???

our river opened on the 15th of February Bayliner
    bayliner wrote: »
    i thought rivers werent open till the 1st of march???

stevenmu wrote: »
    The aldi pairs are very good, I've got them a few times.

My partner got me these and they're fantastic, really handy to be able to click them on and off as needed and they're almost un-looseable :)

i liked the look of these so i did a little googling and it turns out that the young woman who was distributing these died recently, she was only 28. very sad.

finally got out for my first day of fishing and found myself to be very rusty and bad habity. but after an hour or so i started to get myself together and got a few bites with a nice gold head nymph fly recommended in southside angling. was really enjoying myself although not good enough to actually catch a fish! then i left it impaled in a branch on the far side of the river and with the sun going down the fat lady started to sing.

next week i'm going to climb the tree and get that sweet fly back. the branch overhangs a nice little pool. what's the worse that could happen..?

i did go away with a bag full of rubbish that i collected on the way back to the car, including a bag of fish guts left after an angling competition on st. patrick's day. very classy.

there's a nice unused road that connects the little river to the local village and what did i find but a half dozen big black bags bursting out with rubbish. these aren't 'johnny foreigners' who are leaving all this crap around the place but our very own skanger banger drivers who make the laneways a menace to drive down.

i took down the reg of a particular blacked-out-windowed banger that almost caused a nasty accident today. in fact i actually caught up with the skanger at the lights and what did he have in the back seat but a small child and no child seat.

there's only one answer to all these problems and its not education. it's on the spot fines and/or criminal prosecutions. i'll rant no further.

i have access to a database which gives me the owners' address for any car reg. i fantasized about delivering all the garbage i collect and shoving it up the exhaust pipes but to be honest i think i'll just let them get on with destroying their own children's lives and focus on getting that goldhead fly back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement