Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to improve???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Dermot is at it again.. Another couple with more money than sense.. and an architect that wants to look artistic as opposed to giving the people what they want..

I love the bit in the show (usually every week) where Dermot arrives on site, only to find out that he's made a big fukup, and he's left looking sheepishly at his plans while scratching his helmet... eh, maybe I should rephrase that..

Was listening to Dermot Bannon talking about this on the radio today... It's some mess up.. The woman is a real battleaxe, and doesnt let he fiancée have a word at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

This one is a right pain in the hole altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

She is some goer for sure...and the gombeen fiance looks beat into submission at this stage...

I think Dermot could have been a bit stronger on client management...I wonder how much time was spent on client briefing sessions & sign-offs.... Although I feel his pain in fairness when dealing with eejit clients pushing the solution on you rather than discussing the problem...

The builder is gas'd: the client has their QS looking after their interests, and he has his, to screw as much money as he can!

Would be some laugh if when Dermot called back to the house, she had the poor husband tied up down the basement with a rubber mask over his head... I wouldnt put it past her..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

It's all her her her. Id be outta there like a shot if I was that lad. He seemed to have no say whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    It's all her her her. Id be outta there like a shot if I was that lad. He seemed to have no say whatsoever.

Ah I dunno, sometimes with some women, ya just let them have their rants while they are acting like that one.

Having said that, the girl is not very accomodating to Dermot, who's expertise is probably coming to her for free. Ungrateful cow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

What's with the new hour long format? Wasn't this always a 30 minute show?

But good God that client must have been the most obnoxious bint ever to appear on that show. I was really hoping she'd hate the house when it was finished.
    The mostly elderly neighbours seemed delighted a young couple was moving in to their road. They're gonna have plenty of time to regret it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

What a horrible woman, how ignorant kicking over the shelf, dermot was showing her.
    And her mother going on about how calm she was, with her renovating a house, planning a wedding and doing her Phd and working, what a martyr..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I bet she likes it rough, that type always does.

• Advertisement

I bet she likes it rough, that type always does.

Are you talking about her partner, mr submissive? Joking! He seemed like a nice, easy going chap.

She does look like a goer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Only caught the last 10 minutes. Can someone tell me what happened with the original floor tiles? Did the builders rip them up carelessly or were they in poor condition and unsalvageable?

Cos she was dead right to be p*ssed off and demand them reinstated. I noticed at the end that there were brand new tiles in the hall way which looked nothing like the old ones except for the colour. I would have been very disappointed with that result.:( You just can't beat original features...

The original tiles got destroyed while being taken up. I think the builder said one in three were salvageable. He did have a big guilty head on him while telling Dermot this so I doubt they worked delicately when ripping them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,204 ✭✭✭jos28

I like the new format, the show is better with the hour long episode and I was glad to see a QS brought in to keep Dermot in budget. Really liked what they did with the house tonight even if your wan was a moany bint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the couple reminded me of these two

jos28 wrote: »
    I like the new format, the show is better with the hour long episode and I was glad to see a QS brought in to keep Dermot in budget.

Yeah I think this was something I suggested earlier in the thread.. What I dont like is the way the thing is edited so that it looks like a three act play...
    ACT I: Meeting discussing the "ambitious" project..
    ACT II: It's all gone wrong, how will Dermot ever get it sorted
    ACT III: It's all sorted and everybody is happy with Dermot...

I would also have a few suspicions about the budget tonight.. I'd say a few free favours were definitely called in to keep that on track..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 CaptainOats

Think people are probably being a bit harsh on that poor girl - it's her house that she's going to have to live in for the foreseeable future so she probably felt that she had to put the foot down and guide the project in the direction that she wanted. At the end of the day Dermot won't be living there... i'd also say that there was some choice editing of the show to boot..

Fair dues to her in my opinion - the house is gorgeous and i'm sure that herself and her fiancé will both be really happy there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,204 ✭✭✭jos28

Yeah I think this was something I suggested earlier in the thread.. What I dont like is the way the thing is edited so that it looks like a three act play...
    ACT I: Meeting discussing the "ambitious" project..
    ACT II: It's all gone wrong, how will Dermot ever get it sorted
    ACT III: It's all sorted and everybody is happy with Dermot...

I would also have a few suspicions about the budget tonight.. I'd say a few free favours were definitely called in to keep that on track..

Hopefully they change the editing around a bit as the series goes on. I was a bit suspicious about the budget myself. A hell of a lot of work for €140K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭wickan

Think people are probably being a bit harsh on that poor girl - it's her house that she's going to have to live in for the foreseeable future so she probably felt that she had to put the foot down and guide the project in the direction that she wanted. At the end of the day Dermot won't be living there... i'd also say that there was some choice editing of the show to boot..

Fair dues to her in my opinion - the house is gorgeous and i'm sure that herself and her fiancé will both be really happy there!

I think a lot of her problems came from ignorance as she simply didnt understand what Dermot was talking about like with the windows once he showed her them in another house she loved them but when he was telling her about them she was having none of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

Was listening to Dermot Bannon talking about this on the radio today... It's some mess up.. The woman is a real battleaxe, and doesnt let he fiancée have a word at all...

What radio show was it please?

Your one was a total pain, her poor fiancé :eek:
    anyone else notice the close up on her Chanel handbag :rolleyes:
    Wonder who's footing the bill for the renovation, her wedding and her phd all at the same time..
    House is fab though, I especially loved the garden and path up to the front door.
    Edit: Had to laugh at her tipoeing around the site in her totally inappropriate shoes.. Surely if you were going to a muddy, dirty building site, you'd wear something other than sandals or heels!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Watched the bit again regarding the original floor tiles. The builder definitely ripped them up with no care given whatsoever just do get the job done as quickly as possible. :mad::mad::mad:

I suppose thats what you get when you go with the lowest quote... I think Meidbh was dead right to be p*ssed off about it. I found nothing wrong with her attitude throughout the show and some of the comments off here are totally unfair.

I'm sure she's a lovely girl. She just has no idea how to deal with other people and lacks basic manners.
    Her mother stated as much that her problems start when she has to deal with others. Comments like "I'll tolerate him" and "I usually wear other people down" from her own mouth would tend to confirm this.
    Her doting mother obviously never did anything to curb her princess's tantrums and her emasculated husband obviously wouldn't know where to start and seems comfortable signing up to a life where he will never have to make a decision.

What radio show was it please?
    House is fab though, I especially loved the garden and path up to the front

He was on with Derek Mooney 3pm-4.30pm 14th September 2011 ... I had to wonder about the house though... how much of the old house did they really save, that couldnt have been replaced by imitation.. Her fiancée needed to tell her to cop on..
    telekon wrote: »
    Watched the bit again regarding the original floor tiles. I suppose thats what you get when you go with the lowest quote... I think Meidbh was dead right to be p*ssed off about it.

The builder was making out that the tiles "were put in by a real expert", and was using this as justification for how few of them he could save.. not sure how this makes sense :confused: If it was me, given that it WAS the cheapest quote as you said, I would have been sitting on the shoulder of the builder as he was lifting the tiles.. She really wasnt paying for that sort of attention to detail.. I mean one of the other quotes was 100k more..

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

He was on with Derek Mooney 3pm-4.30pm 14th September 2011 ... I had to wonder about the house though... how much of the old house did they really save, that couldnt have been replaced by imitation.. Her fiancée needed to tell her to cop on..

The builder was making out that the tiles "were put in by a real expert", and was using this as justification for how few of them he could save.. not sure how this makes sense :confused: If it was me, given that it WAS the cheapest quote as you said, I would have been sitting on the shoulder of the builder as he was lifting the tiles.. She really wasnt paying for that sort of attention to detail.. I mean one of the other quotes was 100k more..

Thanks, I'll have a listen.

Her fiancé is going to get walked all over for his whole life if he doesn't cop on...

Interesting point about how much they saved, I guess we'll never know.
    While I respect that it is her house and she's entitled to her opinions about it, I felt that she was quite rude to Dermot, makes me wonder why they hired him if she didn't care about his opinion. She acted like a spoilt brat IMO.

I agree about the tiles, if that had been me I would have been right there with the builders as they were removing them. That said, I prefer the new tiles they put down to the old ones.

As my mam put it... "imagine working for her". Which is a possibility for a lot of people, considering her line of work :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

What does the diva work at ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

just looking at this on player - jaysus shes a horrible yoke. the most pointless bit ever was when cameras followed them on a night out. in fact there was too much footage of the bint - i thought it was a home improvement show. no amount of intentional editing could make a person look that bad - living with her must be an absolute nightmare.

i thought i thought but i thought was her favourite line - she does too much thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

Cant believe the stick shes getting for this...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

In contrast the lady on last weeks show ( house beside pub in Longford / midlands ) seemed much better to work with.

Anyway, he does nice work...plenty of glass and light. One thing I notice on such programmes is sometimes there are no curtains / blinds on the large "ceiling to floor" windows. Wonder if people like that at night, even if nobody is outside? Also, how draughtproof / well insulated are these extensions etc with so much glass / big open spaces.... What are they like to live in , during wet windy weather in sometimes exposed locations ?

Like getting a car....grand to look at when brand new, but whats it like to live with ?

• Advertisement

^^ All good points. I think they missed an opportunity when they expanded the show out to an hour. I thought it would give them the opportunity to show more of the detail of the build but instead they pad the hour out with more on the house owners and who really gives a stuff about them?

Advertisement