Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron Mini 10 for €166.41

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I didn't even boot mine into Windows - nuked it straight away. No crap on it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭SoldierForce

Btw I ordered my Mini the same day you all did with the following specs:

Inspiron 1010 Atom Z520 (1.33GHz,533MHz)
    Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
    1024MB
    160gb 5400 rpm HD
    Display 10.1in Widescreen WSVGA with Truelife
    LCD Back Cover Black
    Dell Wireless 1397 (802.11 b/g) Mini Card European
    Wireless Europe Dell Bluetooth Card
    Battery Primary 3-cell 24W/HR

Strange thing is, I have still not received any email from Dell! Not even the order acknowledgement. Dell are none the wiser where it went! At least I printed my Internet Receipt No. but that is no help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Ordered one of these yesterday. Thanks Boards!

Going off topic a bit:

Is there much stuff that needs to come off these (dell s/w spamware etc.) and is it just as handy to reformat the comp and start fresh?
    Following on from that how would you go about loading up windows without the disk drive (does it come on a little usb drive, or on a memory card?).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭positron

The one I got had McAfee, Windows Live and Windows Desktop Search etc pre installed. Uninstalling McAfee and Windows Live made the system much faster and almost usable.

I don't know if it's worth formating straight away if you are only planning to put XP back on it. I am hoping to load Windows 7 on it someday, and I might do that from a clean format.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu Netbook Remix running on mine now. W7 is surprisingly nippy with WAMP and Aptana running on it. Ubuntu needs a new Synaptic driver to get the trackpad to a usable state. You need to disable the lower part of it so that the buttons work properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Thinking about getting one of these....
    Are they any good, just looking for something for typing, and bit of internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Thinking about getting one of these....
    Are they any good, just looking for something for typing, and bit of internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I tried to buy one today but they only accept visa or mastercard and I only have laser. Will try and get someone else to buy one for me during the week.

Which would you think is better the 1010 or the 1011. I cant tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

is there much of a difference between a 3-cell and a 6-cell battery?

I am looking at the ubuntu one for 150 euro.

If I had another operating system on a flash drive or something could I install this over ubuntu if I wanted yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Which would you think is better the 1010 or the 1011. I cant tell.
    Read the first post of this thread. Its a very good explanation of the difference. If installing Win7 yourself or want HDMI output, then 1010. If not, theres not much difference. All if doing a hackintosh you need a 1011.
    is there much of a difference between a 3-cell and a 6-cell battery?

I am looking at the ubuntu one for 150 euro.

If I had another operating system on a flash drive or something could I install this over ubuntu if I wanted yeah?
    I'm sure I read on the dell site that the 6-cell has more than twice the actual capacity of the 3-cell. No idea on how long you'd get on a single charge though.

The ubuntu one hasn't much space for a different OS. You'd probably need to upgrade the solid state drive if you wanted XP/Win7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Thanks Baz, thats what I thought but wasnt sure. I will probably be putting Windows 7 on it alright. Right, time to apply for a credit card...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi lads, I have Windows 7 but on DVD. How does one go about getting it onto a USB drive to install from there?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi lads, I have Windows 7 but on DVD. How does one go about getting it onto a USB drive to install from there?

Cheers,
    M

Using google will get u an answer quicker than posting here...

http://gizmodo.com/5257386/how-to-install-windows-7-on-almost-any-netbook

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

feylya wrote: »
    Ubuntu needs a new Synaptic driver to get the trackpad to a usable state. You need to disable the lower part of it so that the buttons work properly.

THANK YOU!!! That was driving me mad, been messing about with different OS's... Trackpad is grand in windows but a disaster in Ubuntu, sorted now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Cheers,
    M

Try this: http://rickatnight11.com/?p=181
    You will need to adjust it a bit but it should be a good base to start with

Might pick up one of these :) must keep on refreshing the search

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

There's a few Mini 1011 8gb SSD Ubuntus up there at the moment for €182 delivered - I just cancelled mine so it should be back in there in a few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

eamon234 wrote: »
    There's a few Mini 1011 8gb SSD Ubuntus up there at the moment for €182 delivered - I just cancelled mine so it should be back in there in a few minutes

Thats cool, I did think hard about it but would rather a 1010 if possible, or even a 1011 with a non-SSD drive would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

There are more 1010s and 1011 up on the outlet now. I just got this one for €212 delivered. No matter how you look at it, it's very very good value - getting a fully functioning, decent spec, portable laptop/netbook for just over €200 :)

INSPIRON 1011

• Inspiron 1011 Atom N270(1.6GHz,533MHz,512KB)
    • Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition;Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
    System Price:€175.13
    Operating System
    Genuine Windows® XP Home EditionMemory
    1024MHard Disk Drive
    160gb 5400 rpm HDCertified Refurbished
    Certified RefurbishedNoteBook Screen
    Display 10.1in Widescreen WSVGA with TruelifeProcessor
    Atom N270 (1.6GHz,533MHz,512KB)System Color
    LCD Back Cover BlackMISC
    Dell Wireless 1397 (802.11 b g)
    Keyboard Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard
    1.3 megapixel Fixed bezel-mounted cameraBase
    Inspiron 1011 Atom N270(1.6GHz,533MHz,512KB)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭abbey2000

Bugger...I can get this spec but its €299 now including vat and shipping. Is this still a good price to pay for this spec???

Tester46 wrote: »
    There are more 1010s and 1011 up on the outlet now. I just got this one for €212 delivered. No matter how you look at it, it's very very good value - getting a fully functioning, decent spec, portable laptop/netbook for just over €200 :)

INSPIRON 1011

• Inspiron 1011 Atom N270(1.6GHz,533MHz,512KB)
    • Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition;Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
    System Price:€175.13
    Operating System
    Genuine Windows® XP Home EditionMemory
    1024MHard Disk Drive
    160gb 5400 rpm HDCertified Refurbished
    Certified RefurbishedNoteBook Screen
    Display 10.1in Widescreen WSVGA with TruelifeProcessor
    Atom N270 (1.6GHz,533MHz,512KB)System Color
    LCD Back Cover BlackMISC
    Dell Wireless 1397 (802.11 b g)
    Keyboard Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard
    1.3 megapixel Fixed bezel-mounted cameraBase
    Inspiron 1011 Atom N270(1.6GHz,533MHz,512KB)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

abbey2000 wrote: »
    Bugger...I can get this spec but its €299 now including vat and shipping. Is this still a good price to pay for this spec???

If you keep refreshing, eventually you'll find one at the cheaper price (175+VAT=212).

It can take a while though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

To be honest, I've just been checking occasionally over the last few days. There was no sign of the good value packages ahowing up, so I reckoned it was a once off and I had missed out.

This morning the Dell 1011 for €175 + VAT showed up so I bought it.

Moral of the story: keep checking (and keep listing by lowest price first) and you'll probably get the one you are looking for after a while

Me is holding out for a 1010. Does the 1011 have a HDMI out as well or just the 1010?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭jamesd

Me is holding out for a 1010. Does the 1011 have a HDMI out as well or just the 1010?

Cheers,
    M

Just the 1010 has the hdmi port

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Fergster

Awesome Deal Is this still on

A bunch of 1011's have just gone up! Can see a 1010 as well but expensive compared to what lads paid for these a few days back....

1010 for 170.64 + Vat = 207.33!!! Quick!

Feck, missed it!!

Someone seems to have loaded the whole lot of systems in thier cart!

I was looking at a 1011 for 175 which had an N wireless card as well as a 6-cell! For 212 that was a steal! But I wasn't quick enough! Still waiting to see if its back in 15 minutes! The Service Tag for the system starts with a "Z"

• Registered Users Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

its only if your inactive that the cart gets emptied so could be more than 15 minutes

• Advertisement

Someone seems to have loaded the whole lot of systems in thier cart!

I was looking at a 1011 for 175 which had an N wireless card as well as a 6-cell! For 212 that was a steal! But I wasn't quick enough! Still waiting to see if its back in 15 minutes! The Service Tag for the system starts with a "Z"

The buggers!!

Advertisement