Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I not bother going to college??

• 28-01-2015 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

So I've deferred my general nursing course in trinity college dublin for a year (would be going in sept. 2015), so far in my months off, I've loved being at home with family, earning a little bit of money, etc etc I've had many major major panic attacks about leaving home (I'm from mayo) up to dublin where I know no one at all.. I'm seriously considering not going to college, as I'm absolutely dreading, dreading going to tcd.. I'm not sure what I'd do if I did drop out??
    I'm so lost and confused right now..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Ilovemycat wrote: »
    So I've deferred my general nursing course in trinity college dublin for a year (would be going in sept. 2015), so far in my months off, I've loved being at home with family, earning a little bit of money, etc etc I've had many major major panic attacks about leaving home (I'm from mayo) up to dublin where I know no one at all.. I'm seriously considering not going to college, as I'm absolutely dreading, dreading going to tcd.. I'm not sure what I'd do if I did drop out??
    I'm so lost and confused right now..

Hi there, you should ask this in the personal issues forum as well, they'll have some great advice for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,767 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You either stay at home doing what you are doing now, until you feel ready to leave home, or you decide to take on the challenge and do the course. If you have deferred for a year you do not have to make a decision for a good few months, but it is not a decision anyone else can make for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 entangled

Just to say, you're not under any obligation to take the deferred course. There's nothing to stop you applying for a course in a different college, or even rejecting the offer and reapplying for the same course in a year or two, except that you'll need to meet that years points requirements.

If I was you, I'd weight up all your options for next year equally and decide on the best one. Taking this course is just one option, but the fact that you have deferred entry doesn't mean you have to take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Is there something nearer by in Mayo that you could do in college ?

I know you are happy where you are with life right now, but you must think ahead will you be disappointed with yourself in 10 years when you might still be earning poor enough money with no degree and no further education to show for it.

I would explore what options are nearer to your homeplace for college, you can always do college part time but it takes ages to get your degree etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

Is there not nursing in Galway? You need to think about your future. Money that makes you happy now won't satisfy you in 10 years time. Also, you are probably more free now than you will ever be. I obviously don't know your circumstances, but odds are over the next 10-15 years you will accumulate responsibilities and commitments in the form of partner/kids/mortgage etc. While I am all in favour of mature students going to college if they want to, this is the easiest time for you to do it. Make your life as easy as you can for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭Siobhan6

I just want to say I remember being in your position. I am from North Antrim, before I went to Trinity I had never even been to Dublin never mind know anybody from here.

In the weeks before I left home I suffered from awful panic attacks, couldn't sleep, at times couldn't eat (which is REALLY not like me), until one day my mam sat me down and gave me a good talking to.

She knew how much I had wanted to go to Trinity, and I had taught myself an extra A level to be able to get in, and I was about to throw it all away and just settle for somewhere closer to home where I would be able to keep the same friends/come home on weekends/not really be independent.

She basically told me she was driving me down here the first day of Freshers' Week and that I had better not come home again until I had a smile on my face. She wasn't being malicious - she knew that's what I needed, and at that point I realised I needed to stop being so ungrateful for such an amazing opportunity which few people are privileged enough to get and just take the leap of faith and get on with it.

Now i'm in my final year, finishing in May. Best decision I ever made...AND i had to pay for the whole thing myself.

Moral of the story is - you'll be absolutely fine once you get here. =)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LLMMML

I don't think normal advice about the pros and cons apply here as you seem to be suffering from major anxiety which is going to cloud your decision. Have you sought help for this?

Advertisement