Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College grants?

Options
  • 22-01-2015 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hi all, My son hopes to start college this September, the course he hope to do is in DCU,by the looks of it he seems to qualify for a partial fee grant which fall into the income of a 50% tuition fees & 100% student contribution, My question and I hope it is not a stupid one, but does this mean that his student contribution which I think is E2700 is paid and the fee of the particular course he hope to do which is about E5500 is half paid for. Thanking you for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

Is your son an EU or Non EU student. Will he qualify for free tuition fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Did he maybe mean 100% fee and 50% maintenance? If he's Irish he should qualify for Free Fees (provided he hasn't already studied and withdrawn from a course at 3rd level)

In my case for example, SUSI cover 100% of my student capitation fee (around 3k) and also pay me a maintenance grant.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Hi all, My son hopes to start college this September, the course he hope to do is in DCU,by the looks of it he seems to qualify for a partial fee grant which fall into the income of a 50% tuition fees & 100% student contribution, My question and I hope it is not a stupid one, but does this mean that his student contribution which I think is E2700 is paid and the fee of the particular course he hope to do which is about E5500 is half paid for. Thanking you for your time.

If the course fees are €5,500 euro and he qualifies for 50% fess or 100% contribution it AFAIK it means this:

The course is €5,500 then you will have to pay half, as this is 50% of the fees but also it is equal to 100% of the student contribution (currently €2750).

For example:

If the course fees were €6000 then you would pay €3000 (50% fees) and the grant would pay the other 50%.

If the fess were €3000 then you would only pay €250 euro as the student contribution (currently €2750) would be paid (100%) of the €3000 due.

Advertisement