Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I totally screwed??

• 14-01-2015 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi guys, Im a full time student and part time worker and am being refused the grant on a technicality. I cant get rent allowance or any social welfare payments because im trying to educate myself while provide for myself?? this cant be right surely theres something out there for someone in my situation??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

robyurt wrote: »
    Hi guys, Im a full time student and part time worker and am being refused the grant on a technicality. I cant get rent allowance or any social welfare payments because im trying to educate myself while provide for myself?? this cant be right surely theres something out there for someone in my situation??

What's the technicality?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 robyurt

I didn't officially withdraw from the course. I proved when I left and the fact I didn't sit exams but was unaware at the time that I had to officially withdraw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I don't see what the problem is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,102 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

myshirt wrote: »
    I don't see what the problem is?

The op cant get a grant or any other financial assistance

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I didn't officially withdraw from the course. I proved when I left and the fact I didn't sit exams but was unaware at the time that I had to officially withdraw.

They tell you on almost every course at the beginning that that's what you have to do.

That's not a technicality, you failed to follow the rules you agreed to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Can you complete the formality of withdrawing on a retrospective basis?

Plus, in the great Irish tradition, it might be worth getting in touch with your local TD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You cost the government €8,000 by staying registered on a course you didn't do. You probably got a grant too so that cost them even more. I cant see why they shouldn't treat you like anyone else that they gave a grant to.

No I never received a grant before. Never had the need for it and i left the course because of personal reasons. How I should properly leave the course was the last thing on my mind at the time. Iv been in touch with a number of T.D's who haven't been successful. I think some of you are missing the point of the post. I'm asking to see if anyone has been in my position before and is there any assistance the government can provide me? Thanks

Jawgap wrote: »
    Can you complete the formality of withdrawing on a retrospective basis?

Plus, in the great Irish tradition, it might be worth getting in touch with your local TD.

I'm not too sure about that. The college are very touchy when I look for letters conforming dates I left. If this was possible I'm sure the college would have to pay back the money they received for me being registered there and I doubt they would be too helpful if this was the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 Finance Grad 2015

Have you looked into student assistance funds, or any other funds or bursaries you're college give out? It is a bit late to start looking now as these funds may be gone already, but worth a try. Or head over to the student budgeting service in your college.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

The only real option is to appeal the decision with SUSI. In order for your appeal to be successful, have as much information as you can possibly get from your college about when you left, ie that you never sat your exams etc. You won't be able to get back to education allowance as I think you have to be unemployed for a year before your college term starts. You probably aren't eligible for social welfare or rent allowance. Appealing the decision is probably your only option, but letters from a TD don't hold any sway anymore so I'd forget about that. Try and get the college to help you out a bit with this.
    GarIT wrote: »
    You cost the government €8,000 by staying registered on a course you didn't do. You probably got a grant too so that cost them even more. I cant see why they shouldn't treat you like anyone else that they gave a grant to.

The OP didn't ask for a moral crusader to get uppity with him/her. OP is obviously worried about not being able to stay in education due to lack of finance, so give it a rest with the "you're such a bad person" routine.

Have you looked into student assistance funds, or any other funds or bursaries you're college give out? It is a bit late to start looking now as these funds may be gone already, but worth a try. Or head over to the student budgeting service in your college.

Hey thank you I have done all that the college has been a great help they got us our heating and helped a bit with rent but there's only so much they can do and it's just adding to debt. There also very patient and understanding. SUSI's reputation is well known.

jungleman wrote: »
    The only real option is to appeal the decision with SUSI. In order for your appeal to be successful, have as much information as you can possibly get from your college about when you left, ie that you never sat your exams etc. You won't be able to get back to education allowance as I think you have to be unemployed for a year before your college term starts. You probably aren't eligible for social welfare or rent allowance. Appealing the decision is probably your only option, but letters from a TD don't hold any sway anymore so I'd forget about that. Try and get the college to help you out a bit with this.

The OP didn't ask for a moral crusader to get uppity with him/her. OP is obviously worried about not being able to stay in education due to lack of finance, so give it a rest with the "you're such a bad person" routine.

Hi thanks for your positive post. Ya that seems like my only option. I would understand and accept my refusal if I wasn't aware of people who have received the grant and have been less eligible than myself. Have you dealt with the appeals committee before? I'm currently waiting on my second appeal which is an interview I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

No I've never dealt with the appeals committee. You're gonna need the backing of the college before you go to that interview, so try to get working on them. If you could walk into the interview with a letter from the registrar supporting you it would be a major help. If you have been receiving positive results this year, good marks, then bring copies of them in with you to the interview. Basically, even though SUSI are strict regarding grants, you need to show them that you're doing well in university this year and if you were to be refused the grant, a promising student would be forced to drop out. Letters from your lecturers stating that your attendance has been very good, and that your workrate has been top notch would be a help. But the most important of all would be to get some kind of support from the registrar, ie the registration office.

I'm not saying any of this will definitely result in a successful appeal, but you have to make your best effort to show them that you need this grant to continue making progress, and that not officially dis-enrolling the last time was a genuine mistake. I hope the appeal is successful for you, so best of luck with it.

jungleman wrote: »
    No I've never dealt with the appeals committee. You're gonna need the backing of the college before you go to that interview, so try to get working on them. If you could walk into the interview with a letter from the registrar supporting you it would be a major help. If you have been receiving positive results this year, good marks, then bring copies of them in with you to the interview. Basically, even though SUSI are strict regarding grants, you need to show them that you're doing well in university this year and if you were to be refused the grant, a promising student would be forced to drop out. Letters from your lecturers stating that your attendance has been very good, and that your workrate has been top notch would be a help. But the most important of all would be to get some kind of support from the registrar, ie the registration office.

I'm not saying any of this will definitely result in a successful appeal, but you have to make your best effort to show them that you need this grant to continue making progress, and that not officially dis-enrolling the last time was a genuine mistake. I hope the appeal is successful for you, so best of luck with it.

That's great advice thank you. Iv got in touch with my year head all ready to supply that information you mentioned. Apologies if I have all ready done everything your mentioning but you really helped in pin pointing the relevant information I need and cleared up a lot of confusion as to how I should approach this. If only you worked for susi this would have been a lot easier. Thank you so much for your help it's really appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Hold up. First-things-first, when did you drop out?

I have plenty of experience of the grant system going back a few years, there's some interesting technicalities, few of them favour the applicant.

I dropped out in October 2008. The college has giving me proof of my last date of attendance and that I didn't sit any exams.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Hold up. First-things-first, when did you drop out?

I have plenty of experience of the grant system going back a few years, there's some interesting technicalities, few of them favour the applicant.

You there ninty9er? Any input or a new angle would help. I'm currently waiting on a date to go in front of the grant appeals board and appeal my case. Going to explain to them how back when I left the course in 08 that it was a bad time in my life due to family emergency and personal issues, also how well I'm doing in my course right now with a letter explaining this from my class tutor and the fact that giving me the grant will save the government money as I will have to drop out if I can't pay fees. This means I go on job seekers benefit because I can't get more hours in work at the moment plus I will get rent and fuel allowance as I won't be in full time education!

Advertisement