Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Eyes (Tim Burton)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Saw this last night and really liked it. OK so Christophe Waltz was hamming it up a bit and it was very one sided, but a good movie and worth a look. Amy Adams is excellent, as always, and it was a very "straight" film for Burton.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Anyone else seen it yet? The two leads with Burton combined has got my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

It's a perfectly passable two hours but nothing spectacular. Tone is a bit all over the place, Waltz seems to think he's in a different movie
    (ugh, all that hamming it up in the court room scene)
    but Adams is excellent. Worth a watch, but I'd wait for the DVD tbh.

Roar wrote: »
    It's a perfectly passable two hours but nothing spectacular. Tone is a bit all over the place, Waltz seems to think he's in a different movie
    (ugh, all that hamming it up in the court room scene)
    but Adams is excellent. Worth a watch, but I'd wait for the DVD tbh.

Apparently that's exactly what he was like and exactly what happened,
    running from chair to bench in the court room.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I enjoyed this. Tim Burton's worst excesses are reined in by having to deal with real-life people, one of whom is still very much alive. He still makes it blackly funny and the two leads deliver. Waltz is getting bad reviews for this but he plays him as an egotistical showman which is apparently what the real-life guy was.
    It won't be scooping any Oscars but I'd certainly catch the DVD. I've seen worse movies that have been hailed by the critics. I have a feeling some of them might think the Terence Stamp character (he's only briefly in this but bloody brilliant) is a well-aimed kick at critical snobbery.

• Advertisement

Amy Adams won a Golden Globe for her performance in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Thought Waltz was great if I am honest. I loved the scene with the critic. The "Art should elevate, not pander" monologue was class. Amy Adams also delivered. Enjoyed it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Amy Adams won a Golden Globe for her performance in this.

In the Comedy/Musical category. Which is surprising as I wouldn't have called Big Eyes a comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Nice to see Tim Burton make a film that isn't mental .... he's been spiraling out of control for years ....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,566 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Saw this last night and really liked it. OK so Christophe Waltz was hamming it up a bit and it was very one sided, but a good movie and worth a look. Amy Adams is excellent, as always, and it was a very "straight" film for Burton.

I too enjoyed it.

It started off a bit all over the place but it found its rhythm after about half an hour.

It was refreshing to watch this after so many Oscar hyped films which were hard slogs .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

A nice little movie for what it was , but very very different to what I was expecting from Mr Burton but not in a good way which is what Id hoped!
    Very mild, nothing extravagant , watchable enough though and the whole style of everything keeps you watching!

Advertisement