Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars 2015

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Explain your vague and frankly bizarre take on things as outlined above?

I'm afraid you'll have to back up and link to all you claim if you want an actual response.

I don't have to back anything up. The information is all out there and being discussed at the moment. Educate yourself and then we can have this conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I don't have to back anything up. The information is all out there and being discussed at the moment. Educate yourself and then we can have this conversation.

Um no. You do have to back up claims.
    As for "educating myself"- believe me you might do better in to taking your own advice before doling it out ;)

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Grand Budapest gets my vote was actually shocked that it was very good.

Have you seen them all? I have watched four and have The Theory of Everything on next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

See your hysterical response? First I didn't say " white people who marry black people are always biased". Nor anything else you imply here. He is claiming there is some kind of conspiracy here and I am pointing out his own situation through which he maybe viewing this.
    So, basically your point is: George Lucas is married to a (gasp!)...black woman. Yeah, great stuff there. Thanks for pointing that one out.

Hey, Robert De Niro better not start mouthing off about these issues either, because you know, he too, went and married a (you guessed it), black woman. The fecker.

So, basically your point is: George Lucas is married to a (gasp!)...black woman. Yeah, great stuff there. Thanks for pointing that one out.

Hey, Robert De Niro better not start mouthing off about these issues either, because you know, he too, went and married a (you guessed it), black woman. The fecker.

Yes his having a wife who is black (and gives Ted Talks on race fyi ;) ) could and probably does colour his views on situations such as this.

De Niro wasn't mentioned anywhere in this but I am sure you have some rational reason for posting about him lol.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Keep it civil, please. Perilously close to having to shut down this line of conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Yes his having a wife who is black (and gives Ted Talks on race fyi ;) ) could and probably does colour his views on situations such as this.

De Niro wasn't mentioned anywhere in this but I am sure you have some rational reason for posting about him lol.
    Like I said, so according to you, white people in mixed relationships, can't complain about racial issues, because they will be biased? That's ridiculous.

De Niro has a black wife. Would he be biased if he said similar things as Lucas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

lucas complaining in completely invalid due to the fact hes not an academy member, therefore he doesn't get to crib, just like i don't listen to people when they complain about the government, when it turns out they didn't vote, all these people complain that this didn't happen and that didn't happen,

there are about 6000 members of the academy of motion picture arts and science, they didnt all get togerther in one cinema, come out and decide to vote for all the films that contained 80% white people, they all watched the films in the comfort of their own homes, with their families, thus all the leaked copies of films that get released every year around this time, and then they all passed in their votes separately, some of them might have talked to each other, but i dont think 6000 people got together and decided to do this,

people can complain all they want, there is an unbelievable amount of films made every year, representing more or less every single race on this planet, you wanna be in the game, then you have to apply like everyone else, the reason one thing or another dont get in im simply cause it wasnt demed good enough by the academy, and if people in the industry want to change things then they should become members,

think, tyler perry has directed 38 different things, films/series, so he has probably worked with a few hundred different actors down through the years, think if he got all of them to register to become academy members, then he could probably skewer the vote so that one of his films gets some academy recognition, its called democracy, so the americans should be the last people to complain about how they didn't get their way,

• Registered Users Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    American Sniper, Birdman, Boyhood, Foxcatcher, Gone Girl, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Imitation Game, Nightcrawler, The Theory of Everything and Whiplash have been nominated for the Producer's Guild of America’s award for top film

Birdman won

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Equil

Has anyone seen The Tale of Princess Kaguya? I got to see it a few nights ago and I really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
    WINNER: Birdman
    Boyhood
    The Grand Budapest Hotel
    The Imitation Game
    The Theory of Everything

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
    Jennifer Aniston, Cake
    Felicity Jones, The Theory of Everything
    WINNER: Julianne Moore, Still Alice
    Rosamund Pike, Gone Girl
    Reese Witherspoon, Wild

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
    Steve Carell, Foxcatcher
    Benedict Cumberbatch, The Imitation Game
    Jake Gyllenhaal, Nightcrawler
    Michael Keaton, Birdman
    WINNER: Eddie Redmayne, The Theory of Everything

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
    Robert Duvall, The Judge
    Ethan Hawke, Boyhood
    Edward Norton, Birdman
    Mark Ruffalo, Foxcatcher
    WINNER: J.K. Simmons, Whiplash

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
    WINNER: Patricia Arquette, Boyhood

Keira Knightley, The Imitation Game
    Emma Stone, Birdman
    Meryl Streep, Into the Woods
    Naomi Watts, St. Vincent

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2015/01/25/screen-actors-guild-awards-2015-the-winners-list/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Looks like Birdman is gathering momentum.
    It will be very interesting.

Irish Aris wrote: »

Alejandro G. Inarritu has been named 2014’s best director by the Directors Guild of America

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Main BAFTA Awards:

Best Film: Boyhood

Best Director: Richard Linklater

Best Actor: Eddie Redmayne

Best Actress: Julianne Moore

Best Supporting Actor: JK Simmons

Best Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette

Best Adapted Screenplay: The Theory of Everything

Best Original Screenplay: The Grand Budapest Hotel

Main BAFTA Awards:

Best Film: Boyhood

Best Director: Richard Linklater

Best Actor: Eddie Redmayne

Best Actress: Julianne Moore

Best Supporting Actor: JK Simmons

Best Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette

Best Adapted Screenplay: The Theory of Everything

Best Original Screenplay: The Grand Budapest Hotel

Did Still Alice get a UK release or festival release as how was Moore eligible?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Did Still Alice get a UK release or festival release as how was Moore eligible?

Yeah, that's a head scratcher.

IMDB lists the UK festival release date as 21 February 2015 and main release date as 6 March, so I'm not sure how it was eligible actually.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Unlike the Oscars, the Baftas don't require a theatrical release in the given year provided the film is screened for members by December and is released theatrically no later than February/March. This is how all the Oscar bait films make it in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

As much as I love Interstellar's score, I'll actually be disappointed if The Theory of Everything's score doesn't win for original score.

I wonder will Redmayne take the Best Actor Oscar ahead of Keaton, this seems to be the only main award hard to pick the sure winner

Cooper is 25 to 1 in some bookies and his reviews for AS is good and the film did very well at the US box office, might be worth a small sneaky bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I wonder will Redmayne take the Best Actor Oscar ahead of Keaton, this seems to be the only main award hard to pick the sure winner

Cooper is 25 to 1 in some bookies and his reviews for AS is good and the film did very well at the US box office, might be worth a small sneaky bet

Have to say, I would be very surprised if Bradley Cooper won this.
    The Redmayne/Keaton dilemma for me is down to the fact that these are completely different performances.
    I thought Redmayne was brilliant, felt like I was seeing professor Hawking at times.
    Keaton's performance grew on me a lot since I saw the film. And it might be the last chance for an Oscar (although this card didn't play out for Bill Murray or Mickey Rourke).

Do you reckon it might depend on what else Birdman wins? Say if it sweeps best picture and best director, this may increase Keaton's chance?

Have to say, I would be very surprised if Bradley Cooper won this.
    The Redmayne/Keaton dilemma for me is down to the fact that these are completely different performances.
    I thought Redmayne was brilliant, felt like I was seeing professor Hawking at times.
    Keaton's performance grew on me a lot since I saw the film. And it might be the last chance for an Oscar (although this card didn't play out for Bill Murray or Mickey Rourke).

Do you reckon it might depend on what else Birdman wins? Say if it sweeps best picture and best director, this may increase Keaton's chance?

I think Boyhood is taking best film and director for Linklater

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

I think Boyhood is taking best film and director for Linklater
    film yes, but i really think González Iñárritu should easily win best director, id be highly surprised if boyhood doesn't win best film,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

can the oscars be watched on tv live anywhere tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

crazygeryy wrote: »

I think Sky Movies show it live.

crazygeryy wrote: »

1am Sky Oscars (one of the Sky Movies channels)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

It's being streamed on the watch abc app.and there's a place online but i dont think i can mention it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It took 12 years of patience and dedication to film Boyhood. That's nothing compared to the 227 days I've been sitting waiting on this Betslip for it to win Best Film.

Fully confident Birdman's gonna spoil the party though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Last year they had it live on E! or some channel like that, they're surely showing it live on Sky/UPC here? There are over 1 billion worldwide live viewers expected

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Last year they had it live on E! or some channel like that, they're surely showing it live on Sky/UPC here? There are over 1 billion worldwide live viewers expected

E! have red carpet coverage, but Sky have exclusive UK rights to the actual ceremony.

Advertisement