Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought Ellen might be back or they would give Ricky Gervais a chance

NPH has hosted Emmys and Tonys in the past so expect plenty song and dance sequences

His biggest push in movies has been Gone Girl and The Smurfs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

Doubt that Gervais would ever be given the Oscars, it's too big a ceremony to risk on him going off script.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Let's not forget the peerless Starship Troopers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Doubt that Gervais would ever be given the Oscars, it's too big a ceremony to risk on him making it completely about himself

fixed your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

fixed your post.

Yeah god forbid anyone at the Oscars does that...

• Advertisement

Boyhood the big winner at New York Film Critics Circle taking film, supporting actress and director awards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Boyhood was incredibly overrated. And I am a huge fan of Linklater. Nightcrawler and The Imitation Game are my top picks of the year. Both were fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I wonder if The Grand Budapest Hotel will get any love at the Oscars. I haven't seen all the "Oscar buzz" films yet, but right now it my favourite film from 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

A lot of buzz around Michael Keaton. Any of the clips I've seen he looks great in it

I thought Ellen might be back or they would give Ricky Gervais a chance

NPH has hosted Emmys and Tonys in the past so expect plenty song and dance sequences

Umm Starship Troopers and Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog!!:pac:

And of course the amazing Harold and Kumar flicks ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Umm Starship Troopers and Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog!!:pac:

And of course the amazing Harold and Kumar flicks ha

Doogie Howser M.D. folks.

Doogie Howser M.D.

what-would-nph-do1.jpg?w=392&h=302

I want to see him on the oscar stage like this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭lukin

Brendan Gleeson is being tipped for a nomination for Calvary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I think Richard Linklater will at least get best director for the effort that went into boyhood. Lots of people have had the idea of doing a film over the space of a few years like that but he's the first, AFAIK, so it'll probably be a huge part of him being at least strongly considered for the award.

Really looking forward to seeing birdman and I don't even know why

Jake Gyllenhaal could be a likely best actor contender for Nightcrawler and Southpaw (depending on it's release date)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Jake Gyllenhaal could be a likely best actor contender for Nightcrawler and Southpaw (depending on it's release date)

He's definitely shown he's dedicated to going through pretty signifigant transformations to play characters after the transition between those two, like Christian Bale.

89559.jpg

2397E99F00000578-0-image-13_1417569817063.jpg

He's definitely shown he's dedicated to going through pretty signifigant transformations to play characters after the transition between those two, like Christian Bale.

89559.jpg

2397E99F00000578-0-image-13_1417569817063.jpg

Yes the Academy loves roles with dramatic appearance transformations

Boyhood, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Imitation Game and The Theory of Everything and Birdman nominated for Best Performance by an Ensemble Cast

The Best Leading Actor in a Movie nominees include Steve Carell (Foxcatcher), Benedict Cumberbatch (The Imitation Game), Jake Gyllenhaal (Nightcrawler), Michael Keaton (Birdman) and Eddie Redmayne (The Theory of Everything)

Jennifer Aniston has been nominated for Best Leading Actress in a Movie for Cake, alongside Felicity Jones (The Theory of Everything), Julianne Moore (Still Alice), Rosamund Pike (Gone Girl) and Reese Witherspoon (Wild)

Source

In the Supporting Actor category, the Screen Actors Guild has recognised Robert Duvall (The Judge), Ethan Hawke (Boyhood), Edward Norton (Birdman), Mark Ruffalo (Foxcatcher) and JK Simmons (Whiplash)

Meanwhile, Patricia Arquette (Boyhood), Keira Knightley (The Imitation Game), Emma Stone (Birdman), Meryl Streep (Into The Woods) and Naomi Watts (St Vincent) are up for Best Supporting Actress

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Was Big Eyes not put forward for consideration? I was sure Amy Adams would be a contender for Best Actress this year.

Hoping Julianne Moore has the success she deserves this awards season.

Also, is it written into Meryl Streep's contracts that every film she stars in automatically garners her an award nomination? Enough already woman!

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/12/11/golden-globe-nominations-2015/

Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
    Birdman
    Into the Woods
    The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Pride
    St. Vincent
    Best Motion Picture, Drama
    Boyhood
    Foxcatcher
    The Imitation Game
    Selma
    The Theory of Everything
    Best Director
    Wes Anderson, The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Ava DuVernay, Selma
    David Fincher, Gone Girl
    Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Birdman
    Richard Linklater, Boyhood
    Best Actor, Drama
    Steve Carell, Foxcatcher
    Benedict Cumberbatch, The Imitation Game
    Jake Gyllenhaal, Nightcrawler
    David Oyelowo, Selma
    Eddie Redmayne, The Theory of Everything
    Best Actress, Drama
    Jennifer Aniston, Cake
    Felicity Jones, The Theory of Everything
    Julianne Moore, Still Alice
    Rosamund Pike, Gone Girl
    Reese Witherspoon, Wild
    Best Animated Motion Picture
    Big Hero 6
    The Book of Life
    The Boxtrolls
    The Lego Movie
    How to Train Your Dragon 2
    Best Actor, Musical or Comedy
    Ralph Fiennes, The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Michael Keaton, Birdman
    Bill Murray, St. Vincent
    Joaquin Phoenix, Inherent Vice
    Christoph Waltz, Big Eyes
    Best Actress, Musical or Comedy
    Amy Adams, Big Eyes
    Emily Blunt, Into the Woods
    Helen Mirren, The Hundred-Foot Journey
    Julianne Moore, Maps to the Stars
    Quvenzhané Wallis, Annie
    Best Supporting Actress
    Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
    Jessica Chastain, A Most Violent Year
    Keira Knightley, The Imitation Game
    Emma Stone, Birdman
    Meryl Streep, Into the Woods
    Best Supporting Actor
    Robert Duvall, The Judge
    Ethan Hawke, Boyhood
    Edward Norton, Birdman
    Mark Ruffalo, Foxcatcher
    J.K. Simmons, Whiplash
    Best Foreign Language Film
    Force Majeure
    Gett
    Ida
    Leviathan
    Tangerines Mandarinid
    Best Screenplay
    Wes Anderson, The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Gillian Flynn, Gone Girl
    Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Nicolás Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris, Armando Bo, Birdman
    Richard Linklater, Boyhood
    Graham Moore, The Imitation Game
    Best Song
    “Big Eyes,” by Lana Del Ray—Big Eyes
    “Glory,” by John Legend & Common—Selma
    “Mercy Is,” by Patti Smith & Lenny Kaye—Noah
    “Opportunity,” by Greg Kurstin, Sia Furler, Will Gluck—Annie
    “Yellow Flicker Beat,” by Lorde—Mockingjay
    Best Original Score, Motion Picture
    Johann Johannsson, The Theory of Everything
    Alexandre Desplat, The Imitation Game
    Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross, Gone Girl
    Antonio Sanchez, Birdman
    Hans Zimmer, Interstellar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Also, is it written into Meryl Streep's contracts that every film she stars in automatically garners her an award nomination? Enough already woman!
    It's interesting, she's obviously an absolutely amazing actor but the way every single thing she does seems to get a ton of nominations has somehow just cheapened the achievement of her best performances.

American Sniper, Birdman, Boyhood, Foxcatcher, Gone Girl, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Imitation Game, Nightcrawler, The Theory of Everything and Whiplash have been nominated for the Producer's Guild of America’s award for top film

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I think Best film is going to Boyhood and Best Director to Richard Linklater, Best supporting actor JK Simmons for Whiplash. I say they are pretty much dead ons for the Oscars already.

I'm really surprised Marion Cotillard wasn't in the best actress for Best drama at Golden Globes. A real shame seen as she's winning every best actress award at the critic awards for Two Days, One Night. It's probably the biggest snub I really see. If she doesn't get a nod for the Oscars I think Julianne Moore is winning for her overall career rather then for her film Still Alice,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Looper007 wrote: »
    I think Best film is going to Boyhood and Best Director to Richard Linklater, Best supporting actor JK Simmons for Whiplash. I say they are pretty much dead ons for the Oscars already.

I'm really surprised Marion Cotillard wasn't in the best actress for Best drama at Golden Globes. A real shame seen as she's winning every best actress award at the critic awards for Two Days, One Night. It's probably the biggest snub I really see. If she doesn't get a nod for the Oscars I think Julianne Moore is winning for her overall career rather then for her film Still Alice,

Completely agree with your predictions. I think Michael Keaton will win for Birdman too.

Patricia Arquette has been a winning a few awards for supporting actress for Boyhood so more than likely she is a lock

The actor award is between Steve Carell, Benedict Cumberbatch and Michael Keaton I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I watched Still Alice last night. Very strong performance by Julianne Moore. I am a huge fan of hers so perhaps a bit biased, but I really hope she gets an oscar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm really glad Amy Adams got that nomination, she's excellent in big eyes.

Completely agree with your predictions. I think Michael Keaton will win for Birdman too.

I'm not so sure Dark Crystal. I think we should know by Golden Globe and Screen actor guild awards who be winning the Oscar for Best Actor. I say its 80% for Keaton but wouldn't be surprised if Spall or Redmayne might nip it. Cumberbatch might be in for a shout too.

I watched Still Alice last night. Very strong performance by Julianne Moore. I am a huge fan of hers so perhaps a bit biased, but I really hope she gets an oscar.

I think she get it for the fact they snubbed her so many times Winny in the past. I think Roseamund Pike in Gone Girl is the best performance on that list seen as Marion Cotillard isn't nommed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Boyhood - Best Film
    Pike - Best Actress
    FortuneChip - Very happy man! €€€

Advertisement