Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Drop

• 13-09-2014 1:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,495 ✭✭✭✭

James Gandolfini's final film but Tom Hardy is the star, also in this is Matthias Schoenaerts and Noomi Rapace

Hardy is without doubt one of the best working actors of this generation imo so looking forward to see how he fairs with Lehane's work

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I saw this today and really enjoyed it. Hardy did great with that Brooklyn accent. And this is a week after I saw him in Locke doing a great Welsh accent. I'm very impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

I saw this today and really enjoyed it. Hardy did great with that Brooklyn accent. And this is a week after I saw him in Locke doing a great Welsh accent. I'm very impressed.

yep Locke was great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Along with Michael Fassbender and Joaquin Phoenix, the best actor around today that you go watch him in any film cause he's elevates any film he's in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I'm looking forward to this too.

I think Gandolfini could have been "Great" - I always feel that he never quite got there, since Sopranos (just my opinion of course) - I hope this is the big one for him ;)

I'm looking forward to this too.

I think Gandolfini could have been "Great" - I always feel that he never quite got there, since Sopranos (just my opinion of course) - I hope this is the big one for him ;)

Very hard to get a roles as brilliantly written as Tony Soprano although I thought he was great in In The Loop, Enough Said and Killing Them Softly (which is one of the most underrated films of the last 20 years for me).

From the reviews so far, Tom Hardy seems to be getting the most acting praise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Looper007 wrote: »
    Very hard to get a roles as brilliantly written as Tony Soprano although I thought he was great in In The Loop, Enough Said and Killing Them Softly (which is one of the most underrated films of the last 20 years for me).

From the reviews so far, Tom Hardy seems to be getting the most acting praise.

I cant agree, watched killing me softly last night and its a mess. Great premise which just descends into Meh !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Just stumbled upon this on Tom Hardy today. I'm not a huge film person but I will have a look at some of these more so because I'm a bit taken by Hardy's talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,495 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Seems to be on general release here from this weekend, not a lot of talk about this so far which is surprising given the cast and writer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Cineworld have showed the trailer of it for every movie I've seen for the past 2 months :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

cloud493 wrote: »
    Cineworld have showed the trailer of it for every movie I've seen for the past 2 months :p

Same with Movies@, possibly longer.

Trailer has me convinced anyway so I'll see it tonight or tomorrow, the song choice for the international trailer is perfect, I'm hoping that's not all that sold me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Amazing actor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

Been looking forward to this one for a long time.

Tom Hardy is at the top of his game right now

It was a very good solid gangster film, nothing more nothing less. Made very good by a great central performance from the awesome Tom Hardy and his puppy Rocco, the chemistry between both of them is amazing. Hardy can play calm but hinting at explosive anger underneath better then anyone
    Especially the showdown in the bar between him and Matthias Schoenaerts, where he shows his most brutal side and his reaction after is perection

James Gandolfini plays the gruff Cousin Marv brilliantly and
    His death at the end is somewhat tragic although he was his own worst enemy but Gandolfini makes you care
    . Noomi Rapace is fine as Nadia, although I do think she hasn't reached the heights I was expecting from her after her breakthrough with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, far too many underwritten roles and below average films. Matthias Schoenaerts does the role that Tom Hardy might have done a few years back and is really good. It does drag in sections but Hardy does make it better then it has any right to be, along with this years brilliant Locke. Hardy can rightly say he's one of the best actors of his generation. Now Bring on Mad Max Fury Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Saw this on Friday and was impressed. Thought it was a good, solid flick but Tom Hardy was brilliant, what an actor. Nails the accent, and the
    half-wit act
    he puts on is class. Summed up by the quote at the end
    "nobody ever sees you coming, do they Bob?"

Hardy fast becoming my favourite actor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

cloud493 wrote: »

Vue have been showing the trailer twice in front of some films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Solid film. Hardy delivers another great performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I liked it, I was expecting it to be better if I'm honest but it's definitely worthwhile watching.
    There are parts where there just isn't much going on, you could probably cut 20 minutes plus off the runtime without really affecting the movie as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

I liked it altough the mention of "The Killer Twist" in all the promos really annoyed me, you don't want to know that going in.

I kept thinking it was going to be all the dogs dream or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I thought it was slow but engaging. I was waiting for this 'killer twist'
    that never really materialised. I assume it was the flip by Bob in the bar climax (and "They never see you coming, do they, Bob?", but it was a bit of an anti-climax
    . I thought I remember reading something about a
    chilling final scene, but that was a non-event too.

Good performances though, particularly Hardy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm kind of glad I missed most of the trailers for this, I enjoyed the film a great deal (Hardy was great in it, and Gandolfini had real presence too) but this notion of trying to sell "the twist" is idiotic and works against the film.

In a way this felt like there was a layer of metacommentary about crime/mob films going on, with Gandolfini's character representing the idealised "good old boys" version of organised crime where it's all about having respect and being feared, whereas Bob and the Russians represent the grim reality of modern organised crime where it's about brutal unflinching violence as a banal, day-to-day part of doing business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I had seen the trailer for this a number of times. Whoever was responsible for the trailer deserves a pat on the back. Generally, I find that trailers act as one big spoiler but this one did not which is a rare thing indeed. In fact the trailer gave no clue as to how the film would develop. The only other film trailer I can say that of was Prisoners where I was convinced beforehand that I knew the start, middle and end of the film but was pleasantly surprised to discover I had been wrongfooted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I had seen the trailer for this a number of times. Whoever was responsible for the trailer deserves a pat on the back. Generally, I find that trailers act as one big spoiler but this one did not which is a rare thing indeed. In fact the trailer gave no clue as to how the film would develop. The only other film trailer I can say that of was Prisoners where I was convinced beforehand that I knew the start, middle and end of the film but was pleasantly surprised to discover I had been wrongfooted

Totally agree. At the price of not selling the movie well, the trailer saves us all from the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Just saw this. A big echo for Tom being amazing. I was disappointed by James' role but I think I was expecting more not realising that he was more of a support role.

Tom must be heading towards oscar material at this point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Tom Hardy was class . Himself and Sam Rockwell are the two best actors around at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Really liked this, it seems like a retro movie from the 80's or something. Great performances all round. One of the best films i have seen this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭lukin

Saw this last night, great movie but one part I thought was rather silly;
    in the showdown at the end when the guy demanded Bob give him the drop-off money from behind the bar; he had a gun under his shirt so why didn't he use it to threaten Bob? Just saying "give me the money" doesn't have quite the same effect as saying "give me the money" while pointing a gun at the person. It made it easy for Bob to blow him away.
    That aside I thought it was superb and as others have said Tom Hardy was magnificent. His joke "you don't call people from Ireland Irelandians" was class I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It was very good I thought. Only spoiled by the loud group of travellers throwing sweets everywhere and playing music throughout it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Reiterate what was said about Tom Hardy, he played a blinder here and held together a reasonable crime thriller. Galdofini is very watchable too as ever, he has such an excellent presence and body language.

Worth a watch, but not amazing. Reminded me about how much Brooklyn (well some bits) is a bit, crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I found the film extremely disappointing .

It was just too slow and drawn out with nothing really happening .
    You could see where it had been expanded from a short story as the plot is threadbare and stretched out for 106 minutes when it could easily be 20 minutes shorter.

The audio mix was way off ,far too low with muffled dialogue and that awful New York accent which made the dialogue hard to hear .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have mixed feelings on Tom Hardy. Obviously he's a great actor but he annoys me at the same time. I think talks of an Oscar are incredibly premature, I don't think any of his performances that I've seen so far are worthy of an Oscar. Personally I think his best movie is Warrior, and his best performance was probably as Bronson.

But then he annoys me in movies like Locke and Lawless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Not an Oscar performance but still a top rate performance. His range has no limits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I have mixed feelings on Tom Hardy. Obviously he's a great actor but he annoys me at the same time. I think talks of an Oscar are incredibly premature, I don't think any of his performances that I've seen so far are worthy of an Oscar. Personally I think his best movie is Warrior, and his best performance was probably as Bronson.

But then he annoys me in movies like Locke and Lawless.

He's fantastic in Locke, Warrior, Bronson and Stuart: A Life Backwards, but he does have a bit of a grating shtick he tends to fall back into. The accents he attempts are getting stranger too, seems to be attempting to mimic Gary Oldman's m.o. of a different accent in every film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Enjoyed this, a good send off for Gandolfini. Tom Hardy stole the show again but I'm starting to feel like he's almost playing the same character in a lot of his roles, quiet subdued guy who is hiding something underneath it all. He's a great actor no doubt but I think he'll need something seriously out of his comfort zone if he's going to pick up an Oscar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Saw this a few nights ago.

Been a huge Sopranos fan I worship pretty much any performance from Gandolfini, but this was all about Tom Hardy. He is just fantastic, his range knows no limits, that accent was just spot on and a tough one to get right.

Decent enough movie otherwise. Not a very memorable parting piece from the late Jimmy though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

watched this last night, very much enjoyed it, hardy played the part so well, the chemistry between him and rocco was so real, i am struggling to find out if Bob was a little bit innocent or only portrayed that so he could lure people into a false sense of security around him or if he was in fact innocent in a way but also very clever....
    there are a couple of things i think need to be cleared up though, like who left the arm in the bag outside the bar? and who was marv lining the boot for, was it for deeds?

• Advertisement
Advertisement