Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pirates of the Caribbean 5: Dead Men Tell No Tales

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Superbowl trailer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Another trailer released (now with Cpt. Jack Sparrow). Not overly excited though; will probably see it, but been a while since I've properly enjoyed a Pirates... film.

🤪

*sigh*

I really don't like this trend of digitally making people look younger, just because the technology just isn't there yet - I'm looking at your Star Wars and Tron.

Also. I have no idea who the younger actor is. Yet he seems to be a big part now? Is he the new Orlando Bloom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,498 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

For reasons that are not particularly clear, the overseas title has changed to "Salazar's Revenge".

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

*sigh*

I really don't like this trend of digitally making people look younger, just because the technology just isn't there yet - I'm looking at your Star Wars and Tron.

Also. I have no idea who the younger actor is. Yet he seems to be a big part now? Is he the new Orlando Bloom?

Well on the digital de-ageing front, you'll be delighted to hear Martin Scorsese has de-aged Robert DeNiro in his new movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

icdg wrote: »
    For reasons that are not particularly clear, the overseas title has changed to "Salazar's Revenge".

I was wondering why that was.

It's fine when it's done well to be honest. Tron was a good display of tech but a poor imitation of a real human being.

It has been done well recently - Robert Downey Jr in Civil War and Guy Pearce in Brimstone spring to mind but there are other examples where the subtle use of the tech makes a fine addition to the narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Kurt Russell's de-aging in Guardians 2 is nearly flawless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Has this been released yet or is it out next week?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

Out next Thursday. Reviews are embargoed until Monday.

Ms

Ryaller wrote: »
    Out next Thursday. Reviews are embargoed until Monday.

Only right nothing worse than the internet or a paper having a review of a film a week before it is out. I think reviews for all films should only be on the week that they are out and after it has been released. So if a film is out on Monday, Wednesday or Friday then the paper or online site can give a review of the film only if it has been released.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Embargo lifts today at 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ms

Well so far all the reviews for this have said its an average film so 3 out of 5 stars etc. Tomorrow is when the big reviews come out do. I might go see it today will see.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Can't believe it's out today, seems like there's been shag all marketing for it? I thought it wasn't due til end of summer or maybe I've just been ignorant to it all!

Only found out about its release due to not~great reviews flooding the place........but I'll be stubborn and refuse to listen to the internet and try make up my own mind!

Off to see it now! Fingers crossed

EDIT: Wasn't blown away by the first half hour, but overall I enjoyed it, it's Pirates, the soundtrack and everything that comes with it! It definitely has its flaws, but I thought it was a solid two hours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Shlippery wrote: »
    Can't believe it's out today, seems like there's been shag all marketing for it? I thought it wasn't due til end of summer or maybe I've just been ignorant to it all!

Only found out about its release due to not~great reviews flooding the place........but I'll be stubborn and refuse to listen to the internet and try make up my own mind!

Off to see it now! Fingers crossed

EDIT: Wasn't blown away by the first half hour, but overall I enjoyed it, it's Pirates, the soundtrack and everything that comes with it! It definitely has its flaws, but I thought it was a solid two hours!

Sheesh. Didn't know it was out myself!
    Now question is to wait for the blu-ray or cinema? :pac: It is kind of a cinema movie tho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Really good fun and a nice bookend to the 5 movies. The last few scenes were great and definitely tugged at the heartstrings.

Depp was annoying though. Jack Sparrow has become a very one note character.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JacenSolo

SPOILER ALERT>>> I really enjoyed it. much better than the 4th movie. I have a question tho. Carina is about the same age as Henry. So was she conceived and born shortly after the events of Of Worlds End? i'm assuming Barbossa couldnt have kids while cursed so I'm guessing soon after the Battle of Calypso's Maelstrom had met her mother?

Also did the movie retcon how Jack got the compass? I thought it had been established that Tia Dalma gave it to him, but 5 shows him getting it from that guy who died on the Wicked Wench

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

just as an aside why the name change here?

just seems completely random.

Ms

So I went and seen this today and have to say I loved it. Thought it was lots of fun lots of funny bits in it I was laughing lots. This is the film no 4 should have been. Only thing is I was disappointed how little Keira Knightley was in it.
    Can,t believe there is not more people talking about it in this thread.

Oh and ye its definitely a cinema film so worth seeing in the cinema

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Seen it today and im kinda conflicted.

its pirates, ya get what you pay for and its more of the same.

its just about half way through it i found myself thinking "fup me this is loooooong". and i was ENJOYING it up till then, but somewhere along the way it just lost me.

if you liked the others you'll like this one, and it has some genuinely emotional bits in it to commend it. it just was blindingly obvious to me that ive seen many of it before. how many more times can a guy escape jail , escape a hanging, have a boat chase etc.

i dont know maybe im out of sorts today and its affected my enjoyment. and i did enjoy salazar and his perpetually drowning look, but most i can give it is a 6.5 outta 10.

oh and its DARK.

things were hard to see in 2D so i can only imagine the nightmare 3D is.

Ms

Seen it today and im kinda conflicted.

its pirates, ya get what you pay for and its more of the same.

its just about half way through it i found myself thinking "fup me this is loooooong". and i was ENJOYING it up till then, but somewhere along the way it just lost me.

if you liked the others you'll like this one, and it has some genuinely emotional bits in it to commend it. it just was blindingly obvious to me that ive seen many of it before. how many more times can a guy escape jail , escape a hanging, have a boat chase etc.

i dont know maybe im out of sorts today and its affected my enjoyment. and i did enjoy salazar and his perpetually drowning look, but most i can give it is a 6.5 outta 10.

oh and its DARK.

things were hard to see in 2D so i can only imagine the nightmare 3D is.

I agree there was certainly some parts that were dark alright and even the bit with robbing the safe has been done before it reminded me of the one out of one off the Fast Furious films 6 I think. I also agree a lot of the stuff has been done before but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Saw today and I enjoyed it. I can't really decide how I'd rate it compared to the previous movies, but it's fine for what it was.
    Barbossa's death was really touching I thought. He was always my favorite character from the PoC franchise even though he was the bad guy in Curse of the Black Pearl. But i've loved his character development throughout the movies. My only real issue with is, is how he was dressed. I think it would have been better if he went back to his old attire

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mr E wrote: »
    Enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Really good fun and a nice bookend to the 5 movies. The last few scenes were great and definitely tugged at the heartstrings.

Depp was annoying though. Jack Sparrow has become a very one note character.

I watched On Stranger Tides before catching DMTNT today. Depp and Sparrow seem to have become hindrances whereas a week ago, I would have said the character was the best part of the franchise. Now, he's just irritating.

That said, this was a decent outing. Not amazing. I thought
    Will and Liz
    would have been more involved in the story.
    Barbossa's death
    , even thought I'd accidentally spoiled for myself still hit me more than I'd have thought given the light nature of the film.
    I really liked the character and was genuinely saddened at his demise. Hopefully, Bill Nighy will make a comeback in the inevitable sequel.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I recall going to see On Stranger Tides in 3D in the Parnell street cinema a few years back.

I arrived early as I was up in Dublin for a couple of days and went to see it on a weekday in the evening and needed to kill some time.

I was one of the first to arrive and I spotted a seat at the very back that was directly on top of the stairs so I though I'd sit there and stretch my legs as there was no seat in front, only the stairway.

There was literally only a handful of ppl in the cimema, 10 ppl max. It felt virtually empty. Just as the movie was about to start a gay guy minced up the stairs directly towards me as I was looking at him coming closer and closer to me, wondering to myself where he's going to plonk himself. I do like a bit of elbow room when at the cinema and as he was getting closer and closer I was getting increasing concerned.

My concern was well founded as he sat down right beside me in an otherwise virtually empty theater, where he had a hundred other seats to choose from. A few moments later another gay gay came mincing up the stairs seeing 2 ppl ahead of him at the top of the stairs, me and the stranger. He then plonked himself to the right of the first guy who was obviously his friend and I sensed he was felt a bit bemused, wonder who the f*ck I was.

So there I was in a virtually empty cinema in the back row, the 3 of us side by side, how romantic.

Well I tried to get into the movie but it was just so awful that I decided to leave plus I was feeling a bit awkward with these 2 guys sitting right beside me, the second one who arrived possibly thinking it was me who sat beside his friend and not the other way around.

For me I will always remember this move as Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it! Sure, it was silly AF but I don't know what people are expecting. I pretty much ignore reviews now as most reviewers are cynical hacks who are always pushing an agenda. Its fun, just let it go!

Was pleasantly surprised by Paul McCartney's turn; I was sort of dreading it as I thought he'd be embarrassing but he was pretty good, and funny! The boy can act! :)

The only part I sort of began to phase out from was the
    parting of the waters bit; bit it did end up being the basis of Barbossa's death, so it was handled well in the end.
    I stayed for the post credits scene, definitely sets up a follow up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it! Sure, it was silly AF but I don't know what people are expecting. I pretty much ignore reviews now as most reviewers are cynical hacks who are always pushing an agenda. Its fun, just let it go!

Was pleasantly surprised by Paul McCartney's turn; I was sort of dreading it as I thought he'd be embarrassing but he was pretty good, and funny! The boy can act! :)

The only part I sort of began to phase out from was the
    parting of the waters bit; bit it did end up being the basis of Barbossa's death, so it was handled well in the end.
    I stayed for the post credits scene, definitely sets up a follow up.

Wonder if
    Bill Nighy
    will return though the quality of the films has noticeably dropped.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Wonder if
    Bill Nighy
    will return though the quality of the films has noticeably dropped.

Certainly set that up alright. Also perhaps a more full time return for
    Will and Elizabeth (wonder how much she got paid for that part - she had no lines!

Advertisement