Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pirates of the Caribbean 5: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Options
  • 23-08-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭

http://entertainment.msn.co.nz/blog.aspx?blogentryid=1037761&showcomments=true

Depp has signed a $116million dollar contract to star in a fifth Pirates of the Caribbean,

i liked the first 3 films, but that 4th film was a pure mess, i really hope they get a decent writer and explore some better mythology, maybe Atlantis or El Dorado, or bring back orlando bloom as captain of the fly dutchman for some kind of great adventure,

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

don ramo wrote: »
    http://entertainment.msn.co.nz/blog.aspx?blogentryid=1037761&showcomments=true

Depp has signed a $116million dollar contract to star in a fifth Pirates of the Caribbean,

i liked the first 3 films, but that 4th film was a pure mess, i really hope they get a decent writer and explore some better mythology, maybe Atlantis or El Dorado, or bring back orlando bloom as captain of the fly dutchman for some kind of great adventure,

Excuse my lack of eloquence, but F*CK ME.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Excuse my lack of eloquence, but F*CK ME.
    show me the dotted line :D

Somewhere in England Mark Kermode has gone a little greyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

show me the dotted line :D

I can picture it now, Johnny sitting opposite a board of Disney directors, him explaining before they even get started that he's not interested in another Pirates film, he wants to grow as an actor, expand his horizons. The directors reply "of course Mr. Depp, we understand however it won't hurt to look at what we're offering now will it?".

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I can picture it now, Johnny sitting opposite a board of Disney directors, him explaining before they even get started that he's not interested in another Pirates film, he wants to grow as an actor, expand his horizons. The directors reply "of course Mr. Depp, we understand however it won't hurt to look at what we're offering now will it?".

I can't help but think of Mr. Burns dancing,

"Woohoo woohoo wohooohooo!!!

I grudgingly accept."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Kind've over doing it now with Pirates of the Caribbean. I didn't even think they should've made a fourth one.

I dont think they should have made a second one...

>_>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

A lot of that would be back end & merchandise with a minimum guaranteed amount (probably about $80m), but the maximum of $116,000,000 is unlikely to be reached

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Galvasean wrote: »
    I dont think they should have made a second one...

>_>
    Couldn't agree more, the 1st one was alright but I've never made it through a second viewing. I vaguely remember trying to watch the first sequel, but again I never made it through to the end.

I really don't understand the appeal of these movies at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Loved the first one, liked the second one and didn't think much of the third. Skipped the fourth, and no interest in seeing another to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Another one???

Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

love the first one, was a genuinely good summer flick, the sequels while nicely shot, really well made, lets be honesy they LOOK like a billion quid on screen, but they just became a mess, the fourth was pretty forgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I enjoyed the first one

Holy cow that is some amount of cash for Depp :eek: Did the fourth one make a big splash at the box office?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Did the fourth one make a big splash at the box office?
    According to Wikipedia, it's the 9th highest-grossing film of all time worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Dont really see the point of another of these. I was quite surprised the fourth film did well tbh. I loved the first one, the second was ok, but the third was a pile of crap. The final battle in that seems to drag for hours

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Basq wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia, it's the 9th highest-grossing film of all time worldwide.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

My biggest problem with the sequels was too many side characters given some half arsed plot and too much backstabbing and not knowing who you were supposed to be rooting for, everyone just screws everyone else over for two entire movies, got really convoluted.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've watched the first one many times and it still holds up, really great fun film imo. Didn't like any of the sequels though, particularly the fourth (though Ian McShane was decent).

If they have to make another then I wouldn't mind seeing our own Grace O'Malley/Gráinne Mhaol getting the POTC treatment for a lark :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

krudler wrote: »
    My biggest problem with the sequels was too many side characters given some half arsed plot and too much backstabbing and not knowing who you were supposed to be rooting for, everyone just screws everyone else over for two entire movies, got really convoluted.

I still don't know what happened in the third one. It just felt like 3 hours of:

"I've double-crossed you"
    "I know. I helped you double-cross me so I could double-cross you"
    "I double-crossed you both"
    "Well now I'm going to double-cross you back"
    "Too late, I've just double-crossed you again"
    "I'm going to pretend to double-cross you, while actually double-crossing the person who thinks I'm double-crossing you"
    "I love you"
    *Credits*

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Penn wrote: »
    I still don't know what happened in the third one. It just felt like 3 hours of:

"I've double-crossed you"
    "I know. I helped you double-cross me so I could double-cross you"
    "I double-crossed you both"
    "Well now I'm going to double-cross you back"
    "Too late, I've just double-crossed you again"
    "I'm going to pretend to double-cross you, while actually double-crossing the person who thinks I'm double-crossing you"
    "I love you"
    *Credits*

Yep, and the second film consisted entirely of people having meetings.

• Advertisement

Speaking of Mark Kermode- I'm looking forward to seeing what his review will be like. He enjoyed the first one, can't remember what he thought of the 2nd, 3rd one he was vehemently against and disgusted by, 4th one he was giving up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Yes! Loved the first two, wasn't overjoyed with the third, enjoyed the fourth. But then I like the Star Wars prequels, so what do I know? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

Liked the first, thought it was a quite entertaining movie
    The second was watchable not amazing but good enough.
    The Third just seemed to have no clue what it was doing and it dragged on for ages (The thing was nearly 3 flippin' hours long!)
    The fourth I'm indifferent towards it was a small improvement over the 3rd but overall it was mediocre.

They'll have to really up their game for the 5th for me to see it.

Then again who knows, they could pull a "Fast & Furious 5" and make an awesome 5th film :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It would seem that the Pirates franchise is just worth too much money to be moved on from. Sure if you are willing to pay your lead star 114 million you know you are making a heafty profit in return.

Dont see why Keira Knightly and Orlando Bloom can't be in this one.
    Pirates 3 ended with Bloom coming back after 10 years. Leaving that chapter of their story to be resolved (Him seeing her once every ten years is not a "happy" ending :P)

With the fourth movie being without them. The 5th could just be set ten years after the third and involving them. I mean, if you are willing to give Johnny Depp 114 million? Surely paying Bloom and Knightly a hefty fee too wouldnt be an issue :pac:

Dont see why Keira Knightly and Orlando Bloom can't be in this one.
    Pirates 3 ended with Bloom coming back after 10 years. Leaving that chapter of their story to be resolved (Him seeing her once every ten years is not a "happy" ending :P)

The writers have said that because Elizabeth stayed faithful to Will during the 10 years, when he returns at the end of the film he's no longer Captain of the Flying Dutchman and can return to living a normal life. So while he had to be away from her for 10 years, it was only for those 10 years (and not once every 10 years from then on).

That's why Davy Jones hated Calypso. He gave up his heart for her but she didn't love him enough, which meant he was stuck as Captain of the Flying Dutchman.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Penn wrote: »
    The writers have said that because Elizabeth stayed faithful to Will during the 10 years, when he returns at the end of the film he's no longer Captain of the Flying Dutchman and can return to living a normal life. So while he had to be away from her for 10 years, it was only for those 10 years (and not once every 10 years from then on).

That's why Davy Jones hated Calypso. He gave up his heart for her but she didn't love him enough, which meant he was stuck as Captain of the Flying Dutchman.

oh...
    man, did i get that wrong. lol.
    Been years since i saw the third one :P

titan18 wrote: »
    Dont really see the point of another of these.

bag_of_money.png

oh...
    man, did i get that wrong. lol.
    Been years since i saw the third one :P

Nah trust me, the reason the writers had to come out and say it is because most people didn't understand what happened. It wasn't too well explained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Speaking of Mark Kermode- I'm looking forward to seeing what his review will be like. He enjoyed the first one.

He calls it 'bilge' in that video.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Johnny Depp doesn't even have to act. He's the same in every film.

Please, whoever reboots Batman, don't let him anywhere near it. I remember after Dark Knight in 2008, there were rumours of him playing the Riddler. I was so glad that rumour died a quick death.

Advertisement