Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove Smell of cigarette smoke in house

Options
  • 03-06-2010 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I've recently moved into a rented house where the previous owners smoked, i'm trying to get rid of the smell of smoke in the bedroom and front hall in particular.. i've tried burning candels and oils and Fabreze but still no joy. Appreciate any help you could offer..

grahamore:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

# Launder whatever you can. If an entire room smells like last year's bachelor party, removing cigarette smoke smell from home will require washing or dry-cleaning everything possible in order to maximize cigarette odor removal.

# Vacuum. Before you use any chemicals or resort to desperate measures, vacuum up as much of that cigarette odor as possible. Use vacuum attachments to suck the smoke out of furniture and upholstery in your house or car. Beat out and vacuum car foot mats.

# Vinegar. A bowl of white vinegar, left out overnight, can do a surprisingly good job removing foul cigarette odor.

# Citrus. Some swear by citrus peels when they need to get rid of foul odors. Leave a liberal amount of citrus peels in your car or home for several days (until the peels are completely desiccated). When you remove them, you will also remove cigarette smell - or at least some of it.

# Baking soda - one of the tried-and-true methods of odor removal. Whether cleaning your carpet, smelly used couch or dingy car seats, baking soda is your friend. Sprinkle it over the smoke-infused area and let it sit for a few hours. Then whip out your trusty vacuum cleaner to suck up the soda, finishing the job.
    One word of advice: before sprinkling at will, test the baking soda out on a concealed part of the surface to make sure the surface or fabric doesn't interact unfavorably with the baking soda.how to remove cigarette smell

# Coffee. When my old high school friend and I used to fantasize about a coffee-grounds-enhanced laundry detergent, who would've guessed that there might have actually been odor-fighting merit to that seemingly absurd concept? Utilize the odor-absorbent quality of coffee grounds to get rid of your cigarette odors. Don't sprinkle them all over the place like baking soda, though, since coffee can stain. Instead, pour coffee grounds into several individual coffee filters and tie them closed. Place the coffee bags on whatever is harboring the cigarette odar.

# Air out the room or car. Requiring less effort than peeling an orange or going to the store for white vinegar, you should definitely open all your windows and doors for several hours to encourage cigarette odors to lift from their cushions, carpets and other surfaces. If a particular piece of furniture reeks of stale cigarette smoke, bring it outdoors for a few hours on a dry day.

# Charcoal. There's nothing fancy or particularly aesthetically pleasing about charcoal in a bowl, but when you scatter some bowls of charcoal around your room or car (as long as you're not planning to drive), you'll find that it has absorbed the cigarette odor after about a week. It's one of the unexpectedly effective forms of cigarette odor removal.

# Smoke residue on surfaces. Don't neglect linoleum floors, glass and wood surfaces either; in a room or car that has witnessed heavy smoking, you can often see the residue! Use glass-cleaners, diluted ammonia and wood-cleaning solutions to scrub the stinky residue off of these surfaces.

# Light bulbs. Light bulbs are a double-whammy when it comes to cigarette odor. First of all, they attract smoke. Secondly, each time you turn them on afterward, the heat releases odors from the smoke's residue. Clean those light bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Excellent suggestions there Biko - and I admit I would not have thought of the lightbulbs. The same idea applies to windows, I used to find when there was a smoker in the house that the window glass would have a dirty yellow film on it to clean off, even though you could not see it.

I do think that cleaning carpets and curtains would give a head start though.

If you could carry the mattress outside for a couple of hours on a nice sunny day with a bit of a breeze that would be good. Of course in an apartment that might not be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

if the walls are painted, you could wash them down, use a sponge, and a window squeegee to wipe the water off. assuming the paint is washable of course. you'll be amazed at the filth that will come off the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Stoko

I guess that you just tried the ordinary scented candles, you should use candles especially designed to get rid of the cigarette smoke/smell like this anti-tabbaco one, check the link below: http://www.buyersclub.ie/refan-cosmetics/perfumed-candle-antitobacco-6x7cm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

Best product I ever found for removing smoke staining and odour from walls, glass etc is sugar soap- used by painters to prep surfaces before painting. It's pretty cheap and will remove all grime but elbow grease is required!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 urgash

So whats the story with mod here? deleting post with no notification? in 2011 was trying to help someone, my post was deleted with no reason :D since then i never post anything else, yesterday i was trying to help and yet again... sort out your mods admin!

Once again! there's nothing better than ozonise the area you want to get rid of smell...

Mod Edit:

As you only had 2 or 3 posts and you linked to a product your post appeared as an advertisement. Also the original thread was 5 years old and the last post on it was 18 months ago so it looked like you went looking for the topic.
    Check out the rules of boards with respect to advertising, you'll see why the thread was deleted. None of the above may be true, but I'd say that is why your thread was deleted.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

thread closed, zombie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement