Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste disposal - Skip Hire vs Transport to Recycling centre

Options
  • 04-11-2013 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭

Debating whether or not to hire a skip or just bring everything to a recycling centre in the back of the car.

Materials are mainly: old carpet underlay, lots of polystyrene, wood offcuts, bits of broken concrete, general junk. General waste I guess and possibly not all classified as "recyclable"

If I bring to a recycling centre will I be restricted in what I can dump, or is there a section for general waste as well?

What is cost of dumping a car-load (North Dublin)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Skips are a rip-off. Skip bags even worse.

Put roofrack on car. Put everything you can on the roofrack.

Fill the boot, the back seats, the passenger seat. You'll get a lot in!

The price seems to go up weekly but I think it's about 24 euro for a car load. I use the one in Shamrock Lane.

There are several bins in there: one for wood, one for metal, one for rubble, one for general rubbish and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Got the name of that place handy? Can't seem to find "Shamrock Lane" on google maps :/

mrcheez wrote: »
    Got the name of that place handy? Can't seem to find "Shamrock Lane" on google maps :/
    Oops, Shamrock Terrace. Here are the three Bring Centres on da Northside:

Collins Avenue Depot, opposite DCU entrance, Dublin 9
    Oscar Traynor Road, Coolock, Dublin 5 (Beside Garda Station)
    Shamrock Terrace Recycling Centre, North Strand, Dublin 1

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

deandean wrote: »
    Oops, Shamrock Terrace. Here are the three Bring Centres on da Northside:

Collins Avenue Depot, opposite DCU entrance, Dublin 9
    Oscar Traynor Road, Coolock, Dublin 5 (Beside Garda Station)
    Shamrock Terrace Recycling Centre, North Strand, Dublin 1

:)

you cant bring heavy duty waste like carpets and rubble to the 1st 2 .
    shamrock terrece and ringsend will take carpets furniture and diy and builders rubble .
    16 euro for a car load or 20 euro for a transit van or jeep load . you pay the fee at the ticket machine inside shamrock terrece

list of bulky and building materials accepted at shamrock terrace
    80 litre bag of household waste is 4 euro per bag
    http://www.dublincity.ie/WaterWasteEnvironment/Waste/Documents/North%20Strand%20R%20Centre.pdf

• Advertisement

Hmm "No Thank You" to polystyrene... so, eh... how do I get rid of that? Got loads left over from boxed-furniture delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Hmm "No Thank You" to polystyrene... so, eh... how do I get rid of that? Got loads left over from boxed-furniture delivery.

makes for good insulation!

Great, I'll dump it on the street and someone will find a use for it so :D

jameshayes wrote: »
    makes for good insulation!

the white polly sheets are great for leveling fish tanks on their stands and for the likes of insulating a dog kennel or a chicken coop .
    any of the aquariam shops would be glad and happy to take the insulation as they use it to safely transport and ship out aquatic supplies to their customers .

Great, I'll dump it on the street and someone will find a use for it so :D

please dont do this as thats the problem there . too many people nowadays just dumping their crap out on the streets and no thought or respect for the enviroment or their locality .
    repak in coolock beside the garda station will accept it . or the waste recycling place out at blakes cross in the industrial estate . i got rid of a good bit of it there 2 weeks ago when my fish tank and equipment came in from germany . i gave the rest of it to a pet store who use it for padding for shipping out delicate items to customers .

• Advertisement

Crazy Eye wrote: »
    please dont do this as thats the problem there . too many people nowadays just dumping their crap out on the streets and no thought or respect for the enviroment or their locality .

hmm clearly my big grin smilie was too subtle :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Got a handy tip from one lad. Go to DIY shop and take a free skip bag, then throw the back seats down in the car and load it up. Then bring car to ballymount or northside equivalent. That way you can get rid of rubble/slop, etc as cheap as possible without filthying the motor.

Happy dumping

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

shamrock terrece and ringsend will take carpets furniture and diy and builders rubble .
    16 euro for a car load or 20 euro for a transit van or jeep load . you pay the fee at the ticket machine inside shamrock terrece

last time I used shamrock and Ringsentd it was 70 for a transit van

CBYR1983 wrote: »
    Got a handy tip from one lad. Go to DIY shop and take a free skip bag, then throw the back seats down in the car and load it up. Then bring car to ballymount or northside equivalent. That way you can get rid of rubble/slop, etc as cheap as possible without filthying the motor.

Happy dumping

handy tip there allright . or use a tarpaulin sheet to line back of car or van . you will have to seperate the various materials and dump them in the correct skips in the recycling centres though .
    if its all just general builders rubble then it can all go in the rubble skip but if theres glass plastics and paints or green waste mixed in then it will have to be seperated and put into the individual skips .

sohappy wrote: »

i was only there in shamrock terrace on friday and i was charged in 20 euro for a small transit connect van full of rubble and green waste like branches . 4 euro extra for a large black bag full of household waste .
    got me 210 litre water butt kit for 40 euro there aswell last month.

you will have to seperate the various materials and dump them in the correct skips in the recycling centres though

I'm assuming this is the main benefit of a skip bag in that I don't need to worry about sorting myself and can dump everything together?

I have several "mixed" bags that would probably end up in the black bin if I were dumping a small amount. I don't suppose there's a "general rubbish" skip at these recycling centres?

Also have a door I need to dump. Would I need to take off the hardware before putting it in the wood pile?

• Advertisement

I'm assuming this is the main benefit of a skip bag in that I don't need to worry about sorting myself and can dump everything together?

I have several "mixed" bags that would probably end up in the black bin if I were dumping a small amount. I don't suppose there's a "general rubbish" skip at these recycling centres?

Also have a door I need to dump. Would I need to take off the hardware before putting it in the wood pile?

the 3 county council lads working in shamrock terrace will ask you what you have and will have a quick look in your car or estate or 4x4 to verify that you have what you say you have .
    they will then direct you to the correct large roll on roll off skips to dispose of your materials . general bulders rubble and building materials go into one large skip and the likes of cardboard paint cans waste oil plastics and electrical equipment go into their own seperate recycling skips .
    the wooden door can be chucked into either the building rubble skip or the bulky waste skip .
    you should by all means recycle propperly when down there and place the correct items into the correct skips , as thats what recycling is all about .
    if you need a hand just ask the lads for a helping hand , they are very helpfull and do a great job down there to help people unload their waste and recyclle it corectly .
    ive used shamrock 3 times this year and each time i was in and out in under 20 minutes with a full load of waste to get rid of .

Ended up going to Swords Estuary as it was open on a Saturday. €8 for a packed car load. Bargain :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Sorry to drag this up from the past. Mods feel free to separate if you wish.

Basically I am cleaning out my attic, its full of everything. Mainly lots and lots of plastic toys and general small stuff.

I want to go to the bring Center what way will I dispose of these items. Will they take the toys and general plastic, there's some pottery also vases and that sort of thing. Mainly junk. What's the best way to approach this situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Debating whether or not to hire a skip or just bring everything to a recycling centre in the back of the car.

Materials are mainly: old carpet underlay, lots of polystyrene, wood offcuts, bits of broken concrete, general junk. General waste I guess and possibly not all classified as "recyclable"

If I bring to a recycling centre will I be restricted in what I can dump, or is there a section for general waste as well?

What is cost of dumping a car-load (North Dublin)?
    One of your neighbours would take the wood off cuts,ideal for a stove

agusta wrote: »
    One of your neighbours would take the wood off cuts,ideal for a stove

you do realise I posted my message back in November 2013? :)

TallGlass wrote: »
    Basically I am cleaning out my attic, its full of everything. Mainly lots and lots of plastic toys and general small stuff.

I want to go to the bring Center what way will I dispose of these items. Will they take the toys and general plastic, there's some pottery also vases and that sort of thing. Mainly junk. What's the best way to approach this situation?

If the toys are serviceable you could bring them to a charity, but if you're pressed for time the Recycling center should be able to handle everything.

The guy at the entrance way (who you pay the fee to) will instruct you on where to put everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

If the toys are serviceable you could bring them to a charity, but if you're pressed for time the Recycling center should be able to handle everything.

The guy at the entrance way (who you pay the fee to) will instruct you on where to put everything.

I would but there was rat/s in the attic so everything is wrote off. Don't mind sorting just want to do it properly !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

adverts? charity shop?
    you do realise I posted my message back in November 2013? :)

Still burning wood these days, cold fusion reactors never worked out.
    I would but there was rat/s in the attic so everything is wrote off. Don't mind sorting just want to do it properly !

Powerwash? Bleach and water in a bucket, clean up whats possible? better than chucking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Plastic toys, hard plastic, pottery, etc are considered waste. What you're looking for is a Civic Amenity Centre. They accept both household waste and recycling. In some sites waste/recycling areas are separated so you may have to go through separate entrances/barriers.

http://www.repak.ie/recycling_facilities.php

• Advertisement

You know what happens toys left into a Bring centre? :eek:
    336889.jpg

Advertisement