Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening wardrobe on the other side of wall.

Options
  • 13-01-2015 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

We have a wardrobe in the wall between 2 bedrooms, it opens in our room but we want to close that off, plaster the wall and open it on the other side, in the spare bedroom.

I presume this isn't too messy a job?

Who would do it, a carpenter? Would he be able to reuse the doors/frames etc?

Any idea of a price guideline for the work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Gally05

is it a studded wall or block wall ?

if its a block wall is it load bearing ?

if your knocking through a wall I would imagine you will need more than a carpenter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

I presume that the spare bedroom has a plasterboard/slab wall.

So you will need to take off the doors; remove the carcass of the wardrobe; put suitable batons up and plasterboard/slab the bedroom. Then in the spare room; remove the plasterboard on the existing wall; fit the wardrobe in. Plasterboard around it.

As Gally05 said above ^^; I presumed that its a studded wall - not load bearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

Didn't explain it properly.

The wardrobe (space) is staying exactly where it is. I just want to open it from the other side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Watch out for the White witch, she's evil.

the upstairs landing goes

bedroom - hot press - bedroom

so the wardrobe is behind the hotpress if you get me, between the two bedrooms. We've put new fitted wardrobes in our bedroom on another wall, so this little one is unsightly and no need for it.

• Advertisement

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭dodzy

podge018 wrote: »
    anyone?

I understand what you are going for but post a pic or 2 for reference. Always easier to advise then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Blocking up existing is easy (ish). Stud it out, slab and plaster. Assuming its a stud wall breaking out a door should be fairly handy also but would depend on electrical or plumbing pipes in the wall. There is building work and carpentry work.

There's no electrical or plumbing as the back of the wardrobe is the wall I want to open up.

I'll try get pics up but I don't think it'll make much odds. Reckon I'll just ask a carptenter what he thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

A carpenter, but any experienced handyman can do this.

The Devil is in the detail, finishing the new open side. Refitting old hinges will be trouble if they are recessed into the frame.

A nice opportunity to add some sound insulation/barrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭chris445

podge018 wrote: »
    We have a wardrobe in the wall between 2 bedrooms, it opens in our room but we want to close that off, plaster the wall and open it on the other side, in the spare bedroom.

I presume this isn't too messy a job?

Who would do it, a carpenter? Would he be able to reuse the doors/frames etc?

Any idea of a price guideline for the work?

Hi there.

I think this may be a bit more of a messy job than you expect.

To complete this job the way you are thinking you would need to pull down the stud at the back of the wardrobe. It is worth noting that even though it is a stud it may still be load bearing and supporting the ceiling joists from sagging. If it is it should have a double head and sole and be well braced. When you remove this stud there will be a good bit of patchwork to be done in the position where the studwork originally was.

Then you come into issues with the wardrobe itself. Is there a back on the wardrobe? Was the wardrobe built square so that the doors will fit on the opposite side? If its an old house and the wardrobes were built to fit its highly probable that the walls are not square and the wardrobes cut to fit. This will result in the doors not fitting.

Then there is the issue of rebuilding stud in the room where the wardrobes used to open. Can you get the stud flush with the existing wall without moving the wardrobe forward/cutting it down? Will it need to be load bearing to take the place of the removed stud? An then after all that it will need to be plastered.

It is a do-able job but just warning that it may turn out to be more messy than you anticipate.

Advertisement