Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thermostat change Firebird Super Q

• 29-12-2009 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi- I have a Firebird Super Q - At the moment the room thermostat contols only the circulating pump- so the boiler keeps firing even if the thermostat is turned down and I don't want to leave the house with it firing all the time. What I want to do is to let the room thermostat turn the entire boiler off if the thermostat is turned down.
    Do I simply re-wire the thermostat leads so they are in series with the mains electricity input? (And arrange that the circulating pump always runs if the boiler has a supply)

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Sounds strange having just a room thermostat control circulation pump.

Have you no time clock? How is your boiler powered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

items wrote: »
    Sounds strange having just a room thermostat control circulation pump.

Whats strange about seperate hot water ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 malc77

It's an oil fired boiler. There is a time clock- but I want the thermostat to start the boiler if it is icy, as the house is sometimes empty. But as mentioned I don't want the boiler firing if it doesn't need to.

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Whats strange about seperate hot water ?

Nothing is strange about separate hot water, I've mentioned having a room thermostat only control a circulation pump is strange.

From what I can read, poster has a boiler control problem. Boiler keeps on running after room stat is down. That's all the information I have to work with.

Could be a case where boiler is also being controlled for hot water, I don't know yet, thats why I've asked about time clock, could have two channels.

Nothing is strange about separate hot water, I've mentioned having a room thermostat only control a circulation pump is strange.

From what I can read, poster has a boiler control problem. Boiler keeps on running after room stat is down. That's all the information I have to work with.

Could be a case where boiler is also being controlled for hot water, I don't know yet, thats why I've asked about time clock, could have two channels.

You seriously expect me to believe your a professional ,when you don't know how a percentage of heating systems work around the country ?

You have a cheek to pull other people up.

• Advertisement

malc77 wrote: »
    It's an oil fired boiler. There is a time clock- but I want the thermostat to start the boiler if it is icy, as the house is sometimes empty. But as mentioned I don't want the boiler firing if it doesn't need to.

Not sure what way your boiler is frost stat wise.

You can upgrade boiler frost stat, wired in a way to override other controls, that way boiler will only come on when it needs to, in your case a frost.

You seriously expect me to believe your a professional ,when you don't know how a percentage of heating systems work around the country ?

You have a cheek to pull other people up.

If you rule out this thread, give a few examples of where you have oil fired heating system circulation pump controlled by nothing else but room thermostat?

If you rule out this thread, give a few examples of where you have oil fired heating system circulation pump controlled by nothing else but room thermostat?

Sorry to be smart ,but the only threads that I am aware of when it comes to heating.
    Are the ones I wear to work.

When a thermostat is used to control the pump ,a seperate feed is brought to the cylinder ,via gravity.

When a thermostat is used to control the pump ,a seperate feed is brought to the cylinder ,via gravity.

Makes no sense.

What system have you found with only a room thermostat controlling circulation pump?

I'll break it down, you have an oil boiler with one circulation pump to circulate heat from boiler to rads, say their is no cylinder.

Makes no sense.

What system have you found with only a room thermostat controlling circulation pump?

I'll break it down, you have an oil boiler with one circulation pump to circulate heat from boiler to rads, say their is no cylinder.

Are you for real ?

• Advertisement

Are you for real ?

Its a simple question, your saying you've found oil fired systems with circulation pump solely controlled by room thermostat and nothing else, just asking to describe the system you've found.

Could be just a misunderstanding here, but say room stat is turned down/off, boiler comes on, how is heat going to circulate? If its only controlled by room stat, it cant.

Its a simple question, your saying you've found oil fired systems with circulation pump solely controlled by room thermostat and nothing else, just asking to describe the system you've found.

Could be just a misunderstanding here, but say room stat is turned down/off, boiler comes on, how is heat going to circulate? If its only controlled by room stat, it cant.

It's not funny anymore ,whoever you are.

Happy new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Scudges Da

Howdy

A simple solution is to have the stat control the time clock and the time clock to control both the boiler and the pump, that way the time clock will still work as normal (as long as you have the stat turned up) and when you go away you can just set the stat. to a low temperature and leave the time clock on constant in case of frost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭galway1973

will the hot water only function work by wiring the room stat through the clock:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

I have a firebird super q 55, it uses the return as the thermostat. Is it possible to connect external wireless thermostats or a nest to it as it was installed 14 years ago and the installer never wired an external thermostat.....!!
    Appreciate any guidance here

Advertisement