Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI grants refusal for not de registering in previous course

Options
  • 07-01-2015 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi guys,
    Having awful trouble with the susi grant process. after being sent on wild goose chases for different forms and letters to send them i found out i am not eligible because i did not officially de register from a course i did 5years ago. I left this course after a month and have shown susi proof from the college of this and yet im being refused. I wouldnt be fighting so hard for it if i didnt need it so much im just wondering has anybody encountered this problem before and how did they get on?
    thank you
    Robyurt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

robyurt wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Having awful trouble with the susi grant process. after being sent on wild goose chases for different forms and letters to send them i found out i am not eligible because i did not officially de register from a course i did 5years ago. I left this course after a month and have shown susi proof from the college of this and yet im being refused. I wouldnt be fighting so hard for it if i didnt need it so much im just wondering has anybody encountered this problem before and how did they get on?
    thank you
    Robyurt

If you left the course early 5 years ago, surely you could be considered second chance.

Did you study between leaving the previous course and it is 5 years or more ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 robyurt

Sup08 wrote: »
    If you left the course early 5 years ago, surely you could be considered second chance.

Did you study between leaving the previous course and it is 5 years or more ago?
    Hi sup,
    Yes I did a fetac level 5 three years ago so I'm not being considered for it. The thing is since I left the course in October 08 as of November this year I am progressing in my study. I never sat any exams back in 08 the problem is I didn't officially De-register from that course that is what they are denying me the grant even though I have proven to them that I left that course in October of 2008!

Has the college been able to supply a letter stating the date you left or are they only supplying the date you de-registered?

They supplied the date of my last attendance and have stated that I did not return after this date nor sat any exams. No because I never officially De-registered I just left the course due to going through a difficult time and I realised it wasn't for me. Nobody tells you that you have to officially De-register or you will not receive a grant in the future for that year of study and unfortunately the college doesn't follow up on it either.

If you left college for medical reasons or serious personal difficulties, you may be able to request exemption based on extenuating circumstances.
    Would this be an option for you?

If you were not de-registered for the full academic year, then it would be counted as a full year unfortunately.

• Advertisement

thanks sup,
    I'll look into that. Ya that's what everybody keeps saying but I left when I left and I am progressing now so I just gotta keep fighting. Thank you for your advice

No Worries. Best of Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,857 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Id goto the ombudsman if susi just wont budge

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement