Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sludge/water in kerosene

Options
  • 14-11-2013 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hello all

We got a fill of kerosene in August (probably ~1000l) but we haven't used the central heating since the Spring (have a back boiler so normally use that). Anyway, tried to turn on oil last week and it wouldn't come on. Got someone to service the boiler today only to be told that the oil tank is full of sludge and water. Rang the oil company who said there was no problem with their oil and the water is probably from condensation. But they could send someone from Dublin to filter it for us - at a cost. Haven't heard the cost yet but no doubt it'll be expensive, so does anyone have an alternative solution?

Service engineer said not to use it as it would destroy the boiler. In fairness to oil company, a neighbour had a fill of oil the same day as we did.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

olkiny wrote: »
    Hello all

We got a fill of kerosene in August (probably ~1000l) but we haven't used the central heating since the Spring (have a back boiler so normally use that). Anyway, tried to turn on oil last week and it wouldn't come on. Got someone to service the boiler today only to be told that the oil tank is full of sludge and water. Rang the oil company who said there was no problem with their oil and the water is probably from condensation. But they could send someone from Dublin to filter it for us - at a cost. Haven't heard the cost yet but no doubt it'll be expensive, so does anyone have an alternative solution?

Service engineer said not to use it as it would destroy the boiler. In fairness to oil company, a neighbour had a fill of oil the same day as we did.

Thanks in advance...

Have you a steel or plastic tank? Is there any way that water could have gotten into it eg a crack or cap blown or left open. Unlikely that condensation would account for such conditions as you describe. Insist on oil company sending out driver or manager. Btw did boiler man use water finding paste and what depth of water in tank?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 26 olkiny

It's a steel tank.

I'm not at home so don't know exactly what the boiler guy did. It sounded like he could see the sludge and water running through something. Still waiting to hear from the oil company.

Should have added - tank it quite old but there doesn't seem to be any leaks. It's locked so no water entering that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Your tank was as good as empty since the "spring", plastic or steel you will get condensation in the tank if left empty, what gets me is that your "service" man wont remove the water for you, not rocket science and something a good engineer would do on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Put hose with 3' of copper pipe on down to very bottom of tank and keep it there Blow into hose to clear out kerosene from it. Then suck and siphon off water from bottom of tank. When it turns to oil stop, job done, no more water in tank.
    Flush out oil line and filter.
    You more than likely need new oil pump and nozzle on burner.

It's a job I've often had to do for clients.

• Advertisement

olkiny wrote: »
    It's a steel tank.

I'm not at home so don't know exactly what the boiler guy did. It sounded like he could see the sludge and water running through something. Still waiting to hear from the oil company.

Most steel tanks (unless housed) are coming to the end of their lives at this stage. Most will have blisters and pitting. Also it is rare to see a water drain fitted at the back of the tank, which should be the case.
    I still think that the oil company should at least look at it even though they might not be at fault. Probably your best option at this stage is to get the oil transferred to a new tank. This should be done from the top leaving the water and sludge behind. The oil company or plumber will be able to recommend someone or even the local authority. The oil company may allow you to get rid of the contaminated oil through their yard interceptors.

Thanks for the responses. I suppose our 'engineer' is not really an engineer. After I posted my question, I read the thread on what a service should cover!

We'll see what the oil company says. As you suggested, maybe the best solution is to buy a new tank and try and siphon out as much oil as we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

Your tank was as good as empty since the "spring", plastic or steel you will get condensation in the tank if left empty, what gets me is that your "service" man wont remove the water for you, not rocket science and something a good engineer would do on a regular basis.
    How much condensation would you expect in an empty plastic tank over a season? Should dipping the tank for water be part of annual service or less frequently?

Cerco wrote: »
    How much condensation would you expect in an empty plastic tank over a season? Should dipping the tank for water be part of annual service or less frequently?

Plastic tanks create very little condensation because the empty part remains at or close to ambient temperature. Should be part of the service. Water can get into the tank in other ways than condensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You could put a floating fuel pickup on it if it keeps giving you grief

Instead of it sucking from the bottom of the tank, it sucks from just below the surface of the fuel

You'd need a lift pump ( maybe a Tiger Loop would work ? dunno about them )

You'd need fuel hose that is happy being immersed in the fuel

• Advertisement

A good engineer will have a special paste to detect water, he will also carry a fluid/oil extraction pump.

Condensation can be building up over years only when it gets to a certain level will it start to give you trouble.

Our so-called engineer has never once went near the oil tank. Nor did he have any paste, as far as I know. And his service took ~20 minutes. Time to get a new engineer, I presume.

We've had the tank since the early 70s and it was moved in the 90s so I suppose we've been lucky up to now.

20minutes!!! time to get your boiler serviced I would say.

Can anyone recommend someone to service a boiler in the Longford area? Feel free to PM me. Thanks!

shane0007 on this board, tell him you got him from me and you get 25% discount.

Advertisement