Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Puzzling Road Sign

Options
  • 03-11-2007 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭

Excuse my ignorance lads/ladies but these signs are all Greek to me!

Obviously the road narrows 150 metres ahead but 35 MPH/MFU? :confused:

35Sign1.jpg

35Sign.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Where were they taken (Gaeltacht)?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I think it's 'Miles faoi Uair' though I'm sure it's normally san Uair when talking about speed though I'm open to correction on both points.

Obviously recommended speed limits and obviously not in the TSM anywhere! More made up road signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Karoma wrote: »
    Where were they taken (Gaeltacht)?
    Outside Finntown on the R250 in Co Donegal - the water in the pic is Lough Finn (I think).
    murphaph wrote: »
    I think it's 'Miles faoi Uair' though I'm sure it's normally san Uair when talking about speed though I'm open to correction on both points.

Obviously recommended speed limits and obviously not in the TSM anywhere! More made up road signs.
    Ahh - that probably would partly explain it but the signs look new! How long are we in metric?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Warning road narrows 150 metres ahead, 35 kilometres per hour.
    Wasn't that difficult....
    How long are we in metric?

178cm for me, not sure about you.

Hagar wrote: »
    178cm for me, not sure about you.
    :p:D

• Advertisement

Wonder why they bothered changing the M to K yet left the 35 the same. 35km/h is a lot slower than 35mph! Symptomatic of the laziness and ignorance of the rules that created that sign!

Wonder why they bothered changing the M to K yet left the 35 the same. 35km/h is a lot slower than 35mph! Symptomatic of the laziness and ignorance of the rules that created that sign!
    Even in MPH, I don't think 35mph was a standard limit. It was usually 30/40/50/60/70mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Cionnfhaolaidh

Ní cainteoir dúchais mé féin ach:

MPH / MSU (Míle San Uair)

KPH / CSU (Ciliméadar San Uair)

Nach ea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Even in MPH, I don't think 35mph was a standard limit. It was usually 30/40/50/60/70mph.

its not a legal limit anyway as it should be a round circle type sign....just advice...is this where trhe bridge collapse was by chance? panic temp sign maybe

Nach ea?

I fully support the use of the Irish language but i think its not too sensible to manufacture a Gaelic version of kilometre....thats got nothing to do with the Irish language. A worse example is Diosal....Diesel is someones name....why Irish-ise that?

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    just advice...is this where trhe bridge collapse was by chance? panic temp sign maybe
    There appeared to be no evidence of a bridge collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

The bridge collapsed on the N59 at Leenane, the N56 is the Donegal "coastal" route.

Just a thought, if the F does stand for "faoi", it could be explained by someone who doesn't have a notion about Irish, looked up "per" in the foclóir and got faoi in the context of "faoin gcéad", per cent??

If that is true, its more typical of some the nonsensical Irish they use in the North to translate street names.

RadioCity wrote: »
    the N56 is the Donegal "coastal" route.
    The pic was taken on the R250. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just a thought, if the F does stand for "faoi", it could be explained by someone who doesn't have a notion about Irish, looked up "per" in the foclóir and got faoi in the context of "faoin gcéad", per cent??
    Might it be different in Ulster Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

If that is true, its more typical of some the nonsensical Irish they use in the North to translate street names.

Do you have any examples? I don't actually speak Irish, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

Do you have any examples? I don't actually speak Irish, mind you.

Theres a road called "Central Drive" in Creggan estate in Derry.
    The translatation is shown as "An Lár Cabhsa" which looks like total rubbish. Thats just a crappy translation when its should be something like "An Cabhsa Lárnach" (forgive my Irish), the "driveway in the the centre" (of the estate which it is).
    Im no expert in Irish but I do know when some signs are just plain wrong. I must add that some of the signs were probably put up by so called Irish activists, and not the City Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Nach ea?

Its km/h not kph;).
    Why is it that whenewver there is a thread about how slow we are to change to metric most of the people telling us we need to change over can't spell the units properly (like kilometers and meters, its kilometres, and metres) and use the wrong symbols as well:D? There's no such thing as kph. Its km/h. And btw, km/h is international and used in most languages. Car speedometers and all our speed limit signs don't have km/h written on them for nothing you know.

I would say that km/u is the proper symol in Irish, well at least thats what they use on the Irish versions of the Junior and Leaving Cert Maths papers. I was never too hot on the Irish department, so I'm not 100% on it.:D

One doesn't have to leave the juristiction to get conflicting Irish place names.

My own area in Dublin is Ros Eo but the roadsigns indicate An Ros. :rolleyes:

E92 wrote: »
    Its km/h not kph;)
    I refuse to use km/h as I think it looks clumsy and stupid. kph all the way. It's my own little form of protest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Im no expert in Irish but I do know when some signs are just plain wrong. I must add that some of the signs were probably put up by so called Irish activists, and not the City Council.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

corktina wrote: »
    I fully support the use of the Irish language but i think its not too sensible to manufacture a Gaelic version of kilometre....thats got nothing to do with the Irish language.
    Correct - the abbreviation for kilometre is supposed to always be "km" regardless of whether the word starts with the letter k in the local language e.g. in Portuguese it's "quilómetro" but the abbreviation is still km. Similarly in German "hour" is Stunde but the abbreviation is "h".

According to this logic, "cilimeadar san uair" should be abbreviated "km/h".
    I must add that some of the signs were probably put up by so called Irish activists, and not the City Council.
    Even for an ad hoc sign like this, it's a terrible job, as there are at least 5 things wrong with it (measurement unit, value ending in 5, no red circle, wrong font and size, wrong Irish abbreviation.)
    I refuse to use km/h as I think it looks clumsy and stupid. kph all the way. It's my own little form of protest. :)
    Gah! KPH is one of my bugbears :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

spacetweek wrote: »
    Gah! KPH is one of my bugbears :rolleyes:
    Mine too! But not quite as bad as kmph, or the worse one I ever saw on a roadworks sign coming into Wicklow town once ... kmp/h !!!!!

Incidentally here in Bray today I saw an instance where they had replaced a 50km/h limit sign on one side of the road. The old one was a 'normal' one with 50 on it in big letters and km/h underneath as are all speed limit signs I've seen to date. The new one on the other side, was larger in diameter than the other one and was missing the km/h altogether. I don't suppose they've decided we've had long enough with km/h now that we don't need to be told? I mean, there's no km/h on speed limit signs on the continent (is there?).

Alun wrote: »
    Mine too! But not quite as bad as kmph, or the worse one I ever saw on a roadworks sign coming into Wicklow town once ... kmp/h !!!!!

Incidentally here in Bray today I saw an instance where they had replaced a 50km/h limit sign on one side of the road. The old one was a 'normal' one with 50 on it in big letters and km/h underneath as are all speed limit signs I've seen to date. The new one on the other side, was larger in diameter than the other one and was missing the km/h altogether. I don't suppose they've decided we've had long enough with km/h now that we don't need to be told? I mean, there's no km/h on speed limit signs on the continent (is there?).

Denmark uses "km".....

bikini-bandit.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Alun wrote: »

It actually is one of mine as well, hence why I posted it in the first place!

And kmp/h means kilometres per per hour!

I hope they don't remove the km/h from the speed limit signs, until such time as we share a border with a juristiction that also uses km/h.

[Denmark uses "km".....

where? oh yes I see now....:)

how did they stick that sign on to her> and how do you get a sign-sticking job in Denmark?

Advertisement