Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FYI Charlestown bypass to open today.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It's great to see the N5 Charlestown bypass open ahead of schedule. Now could the NRA hurry up and improve the rest of the atrocious N5 through Roscommon? It's a national disgrace.

I do agree that the N20 between Mallow and Croom needs upgrading quite urgently. The section around Buttevant in particular is appalling.

I'm out of the country at the moment but hasn't the Castleblayney bypass also opened this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Avns1s wrote: »
    Only greater fiasco on a National route is Claregalway. And there's no sign of anything being done. No doubt the people in the NRA and Galway Co Co got their pay rises like all the other public servants!:mad:

That is so pathetic:mad:
    There is no hint of a solution, and some idiot from ther NRA decided the new N17 will go from Tuam to Athenry,adding 8 miles to an existing 21 mile journey. and that is suppost to be the long term solution to Claregalway.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Next off-topic post gets an infraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

cast_iron wrote: »
    Anyone else notice how they don't seem to allow a motorist pull into the hard shoulder when turning left off the new road. They reduce the HS size to about 3 foot, and create a box in the centre of the road for traffic turning right, into the same side road.

Basically, it means all cars must slow down to the speed of the car turning off the road and are not allowed overtake - even if the road ahead is clear.

Is this a new practice by our road builders; it seems very strange?:confused:
    I live in this area and had a spin on the new road today. I too noticed that there are no speed reducing lanes provided when taking a left turn, in most places. I think this is a massive design flaw for obvious reasons. Also, I also cant understand why the NRA is still using two lane design over alternate three lane design..ie an lane provided for slow moving traffic switched back and over every 2 km or so. I also noticed that a lot of the road has continuous white lines so no overtaking. This is not at junctions but on curved sections. In my own opinion I think this is ludacris on a new road. Dont get me wrong..this is a long awaited piece of infrastructure and Im delighted to see it open but I think the 65 million or so that the project cost should leave us with a flawless example of engineering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm also from the area and have heard that changes in the layout of Charlestown are to be discussed, ie. the Sligo to Galway traffic may get the right of way over the Castlebar to Dublin.

My opinion of the road is that they have created some dangerous junctions, ie the Carracastle junction. There have been several accidents @ the Swinford junction. This is the very reason they said they created a flyover in Charlestown for the Sligo/Galway traffic. Why didnt they create another flyover while they were @ it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

nordydan wrote: »
    http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,11003,en.html

Charlestown Bypass will open tomorrow - Fri 2 nov.

Also, the N2 Castleblayney bypass will open monday.

Anyone been on either of these? Particularly Castleblayney, that's a 2+1 I believe with GS junctions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Gillie wrote: »
    Just to confirm something.

This bypass is purely for the N5 and is not going to affect traffic on the N17?

Cheers

There are plans for a N17 bypass as well. See page 3 of this PDF:

http://www.regdesign.com/Brochures/N5%20Charlestown%20Bypass_Preferred%20Route%20Public%20Consultation%20Slideshow.pdf

Hence both the N5 and N17 will have one junction each to access Charlestown, and a GSJ for each other. No at grade roundabout thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Threads merged.
    nordydan wrote: »
    See page 3 of this PDF:
    And remember to turn it upside down!

Thats the worst PDF I've seen outside an RPA press release (Print on headed paper, scan, save as gif image, make pdf).

http://www.rpa.ie/?id=317

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Slightly confusing article in the Times today, apparently the new bypass is going to take "7,500 of the 1500 vehicles a day" that go through the town. That's quite a bypass. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

What they mean is that people will be so amazed by the beautiful and wonderous new road that they'll get to the end, feel bad, turn around and drive it again. All day. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Did anyone have a look at the photos on the mayo regdesign website?? This roads looks like it could be easily widened to 2+2 if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

I think the N17 Charlestown bypass has evolved into a larger dual carrigeway scheme with the development of the Atlantic corridor. The NRA site now widens the scope of the project to linking the N17 Cooloney/Tobercurry Bypass to Knock/Claremorris Bypass.

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/MayoCountyCouncil/N17TobercurryBypasstoKnockBypassPh1/SchemeName,10925,en.html

Advertisement