Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to N7 M50 interchange tonight and in the next few months

Options
  • 19-10-2007 12:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Major changes will be happening at the N7 M50 interchange on Friday night. The first permanent new loop will open N7E - M50S.

M50_N7-Red-Cow-Flyer.gif

www.m50.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

At last a bit of finalisation starting to come about here. Every little bit will help at this junction. You can already see little improvements in the roadworks (e.g. removing the islands along the works) so the next few 2 months of scheduled changes should start to give a bit of a break to motorists, even if only off-peak.

Don't ever use this route N7E - M50S. Can't wait for M50S - N7W and it's improvements (as far as Newlands Cross)!!!!!!

Also N7E - M50N carries a lot of traffic but this will only be of benefit when there's an end to filtering down onto the two existing lanes (when a third lane at least is opened on the main carriageway at this location)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

I get confused with these descriptions - some refer to N7E as N7 East - ie the detrunked Naas Road inside the M50 to/from Dublin. Others as N7 Eastbound - ie approaching the Red Cow from the West.

It makes movements like N4W->M50N ambiguous. West or westbound?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

jlang wrote: »
    I get confused with these descriptions - some refer to N7E as N7 East - ie the detrunked Naas Road inside the M50 to/from Dublin. Others as N7 Eastbound - ie approaching the Red Cow from the West.

It makes movements like N4W->M50N ambiguous. West or westbound?

i never thought about it like that, I always read it as if there was an implied "bound" added to the end of the north, south, east or west

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

FIRST OF NEW FREE-FLOW LANES AT N7 (RED COW) INTERCHANGE TO OPEN ON FRIDAY NIGHT.
    Friday 19th October 2007: From midnight tonight motorists at the N7 Red Cow Interchange, travelling from Naas direction and going southbound on the M50 should use the centre lane of the N7 and they will be directed onto a new free-flow loop to take them directly onto the M50 southbound. There will be no traffic signals at the Interchange to delay them. N7 City bound traffic should use the right-hand lane of the N7 inbound.

“This is the first of the permanent free-flow links at the Red Cow Interchange to open to traffic” says Edward Edge, South Dublin County Council. “Free-flow links have also been opened at the N4 Interchange within in the last few days. As each new free-flow link is being completed, we are bringing them on stream so motorists at the N7 and N4 Interchanges will see gradual improvements at these key Interchanges during the coming months.

“We are asking motorists to take their time and take care when using the new road layouts”.

When the current upgrading works are completed next year, the N7 and N4 Interchanges will both be free-flowing in all directions. The new Ballymount Interchange will be open in November and the new N4 Interchange in December this year.

www.m50.ie

They do still have a long way to go:

red-cow-interchange-apr07.jpg

jlang - you've just went and ruined my day. I was struggling to get to grips with all the terms and directions etc and when I eventually figured them out and wrote a post containing them you came along and threw up something i hadn't figured!! oh dear now I've to go study all my TLA's again!! I'm going to end up on the Luas line trying to follow all the Permutations! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

What do the grey areas in the map mean? Are these still routes you can use? I've been avoiding the Naas road to M50 south to ballinteer for 2 weeks now because i had heard you can no longer take the on ramp onto the M50 if you want to head to ballinteer coming from the city centre - is this correct? Going through walkinstown and all those roundabouts is very time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

@Dogmatix - the grey roads are existing roads. Dotted grey are roads that are being closed.

N7E - M50S will be possible using the purple road "New M50 Southbound loop". You will exit to the left after M50N sliproad and the road will loop down to the left and under N7E inbound.
    From tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Thanks for the info a_ominous - might make my daily journey a bit easier.

M50 southbound off-ramp at the N7 will be closed tonight until 6am.

More closures should happen to as the next phase of the junction is being put in place.

Redcow-Interchange-03-lg.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

When exactly will the new M50 southbound to N7 westbound freeflow link shown in the above map open? Will it be very soon?

• Advertisement

'Early November' so id say in the next 2 weeks probrably.

Looks like the new M50S - N7Outbound is coming this weekend.

http://www.m50.ie/pages/planyourjourney/n7-interchange.html

# From Saturday 3rd November 2007: Traffic travelling Southbound on M50 exiting at N7/Red Cow Interchange to go south will be directed on to new permanent Southbound Off-ramp for N7. From Saturday 3rd 2007, traffic will no longer have to travel to Ballymount and do a U-turn. The final permanent layout at Ballymount Junction is scheduled to be in place in late November. Drivers on the M50 are asked to slow down and follow the traffic signs in place.

# Friday, 2nd November 2007 at midnight – until further notice: M50 southbound to N7 outbound traffic directed to new permanent southbound Off-ramp for N7.

# Thursday, 1st November 2007 from 10 pm - Friday 2nd November at 6am: M50 northbound on ramp at N7 interchange closed Diversions in place via Ballymount Interchange.

# Thursday, 1st November 2007 at 10 pm - Friday 2nd November at 6am: M50 southbound off ramp at N7 interchange to city closed tonight. Diversions in place via Ballymount Interchange.

# Wednesday, 31st October 2007 from 10pm – 6am, Thursday 1st November 2007: M50 northbound on ramp at N7 interchange closed. Diversions in place via Ballymount Interchange.

Don't know how to copy and paste in the diagram from the site, perhaps someone will or tell me how to. C&P doesn't seem to work

This part will be useful. End of ballymount u turn aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭trellheim

use the image button ?

Redcow-Interchange-03-lg.gif

The bit in green seems to be the new part being discussed. So this will make all redcow eastbounds freeflow by the looks of it

Sorry was thinking about something else....

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

or scroll three posts up... :-)

and the image button would be where trellheim? I could find the attachment button but not any in-message image button

click on Reply , not Quick Reply, them click on the little picture of a yellow mountain .. now paste the URL of the image , then "Submit Reply"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Cormster

darkman2 wrote: »
    www.m50.ie

They do still have a long way to go:

red-cow-interchange-apr07.jpg

on the basis of that image, I think the N7-M50 interchange will be great when finished. while the image is only representative, it seems to aim to seriously help with the flow of traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How are people finding the junctions these days now that some movemenets are freeflow?

I haven't see the top level of the bridges, but from looking at the picture, I seriously wonder how the Luas tracks are meant to routed between or on one of the two bridges???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Good point. Is the LUAS going to be rerouted and how far advanced are they with track laying etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,932 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Victor wrote: »
    How are people finding the junctions these days now that some movemenets are freeflow?

They seem to be slowing the mainline way down as there are now more places where cars have to merge.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Lets wait until the new exit slip opens - at the moment all the M50S-N7 outbound traffic has to squeeze through the mainline and past the new freeflow onslip (which has a rather short slip) for the U-Turn at Ballymount.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jkgvfg

Victor wrote: »

M50 Southbound does seem to move better in the evenings since the M50S->N4W freeflow opened. The merging onto N4W is quite hairy - it's the same as they are opening on the N7 tomorrow, you are merging from the right, meeting the city traffic, on a very short run-in.

I think the M50S should be improved even better next week when the M50S->N7W opens (M50N to the Red Cow should be better as well) but what you gain, you'll probably lose at Newlands Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭lynchie

jkgvfg wrote: »
    M50 Southbound does seem to move better in the evenings since the M50S->N4W freeflow opened. The merging onto N4W is quite hairy - it's the same as they are opening on the N7 tomorrow, you are merging from the right, meeting the city traffic, on a very short run-in.

Yup, the lane disappears quite quick and is a nightmare going from far right thru 3 lanes of traffic to get onto the far left just in time to come off at liffey valley...

bound to be an accident there soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

lynchie wrote: »
    bound to be an accident there soon..

Hopefully not - the current M50 South to N4 West bound ramp is temporary and is due to replaced with final ramp and alignment 'mid November'.

Victor - I don't use the roads at peak times so don't know of impact but change tonight will be significant for M50 to N7 outbound traffic. Outside of peak several of them have to be driven slowly at the moment but should speed up when final alignments and new M50 lanes come online.

whosedaddy?/BrianD- What is the concern about Luas re-route? FYI No Luas track laying yet that I have seen but recent changes and changes tonight will allow new East side Luas tracks to be progressed, and laid over the new bridges [over M50S-> N7W offramp and over M50].

Was on the M50 today. Mostly the mainline and the interchanges are quite a mess right now. They still have an awful lot to do. Most of the new bridges are built (graffitied all over already by the local moronic element of course)......traffic was really bad on the mainline today (toll bridge) and it was quite infuriating. One gantry at the N4 has a sign on it now for city bound traffic.

The entire construction site seems quite chaotic atm. Understandable given that locals wanted the workers only to work at certain parts of the day. Of course had it just been 24hrs it would all be finished by now. Must be frustrating for the builders.

The new N7 freeflow seemed to be working well when I passed it but ultimately the traffic was just entering a jam on the mainline. Its going to be a good while yet before this project is finished.

JM, i never said there was any issues with rerouting the Luas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Frustrating for the builders yes, but although I dont agree with NIMBYs I wouldnt want noisy construction near me at 4am. Gotta be limits for sanity :)

• Advertisement

Are there any NRA figures on projected reduced lag time when these projects are complete [ e.g. Cost Benefit Analysis ] ?

Victor you normally know where these skeletons are /..;)

Advertisement