Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Infrared Heating

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Expensive to run. From their website, they claim an 866 watt panel costs 13 cents to run for 1 hour. That equates to 15 cents/kwh. Natural gas is approx 6.5 cents/kwh delivered and oil is approx 9.5 cents/kwh delivered. What they also omit from their costs are standing charges, government levies and VAT. all these must be included to compare a delivered cost per kwh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Aren't they just electric heaters with some hand waving ?

Depends on the panel you look at, that one is for a fairly large room.

Look at this

http://www.helvetic.ie/product/show/19

Heats an 18 m room with 300 watts, 5 c per hour on day rate and 2.5 on night rate, that's good.

Nearly 1000 euros per tank of oil now.

It's a shame the government offer 0 grant for solar P.V or wind installations. Imagine the job creation!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Reading between the lines because the information is not displayed

it looks like it runs on electricity

Stefan's law means that all warm objects including humans emit far infra red depending on what you mean by far

or are they using terahertz technology - like the famous TSA nudie scanners - and if so why mention the temperature

if indeed it is pure infrared , it would work best on naked skin and lining your walls with thin foil - like the inside of a microwave oven - would help

Really I'm trying to see what distinguishes these from the electric infra red heaters common in domestic garages 40 years ago

Any advertising with new fangled thingies where the technology is glossed over AND making extraordinary claims sounds like snake oil to me.

Also "Dose not generate dust."

Don't forget that done properly you can heat a house with the passive heat generated by fridges and computers , cookers and washing machines. - In all cases figure out how benefit you would get from spending the same amount of money on insulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Bumping this thread to ask if there are any more opinions on this. How would it compare to an electric fireplace for a 17sq.m. living room?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Price from €419 ex vat
    Heats up to 18m²/193Sf
    Running cost as low as 5 Cent Per Hour
    Wattage from 300 Watt
    Instant heat
    Special design - choice of images
    Maintenance FREE
    Dose not generate dust.
    60-80 Degrees Surface temperature

it states as low as 5c per hour, they are saying as low as, so it goes higher is my openion, due to when it heats up i would say it eats heavier on leccy, wattage from 300 watt, so i would say little heat for the five cent,
    i am sure that price is for the lower wattage and then add vat and delivery,
    would not generate dust, what does that mean, sure it is only an open fire that would generate a little dust.
    huge price for small returns,
    a person would get a little room heater multi fuel stove for the same price, but better output and running costs

nielandrew wrote: »
    Hi,

I was looking for the low cost heating systems and after some research found far infrared heating systems the best bet.

A search on google i found a few website that could be useful..

www.helvetic.ie - Cost is high, Good sales team with explanation, No Demo
    www.sunnyheat.ie - Cost moderate high, Difficult to handle the team, No Demo
    www.infraheat.ie - Reasonable cost, Contact option only website, Free Demo
    www.sunjoy.ie - Cost is high, Good sales team with explanation, No Demo

I have shortlisted Sunjoy & Infraheat, Looking for a free demo before I make a decision.

My partners Parents have infra-red heating in Germany and I warn you to stay well away from it, it's a rip off and useless. It should not be allowed to be sold as a direct replacement to convectional heating, it should be advertised as cheaper to run for much less heat.

I'm going to start a new thread now actually.

Link

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87531575#post87531575

Advertisement