Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macroom and Ballyvourney Bypass

Options
  • 30-06-2007 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

I've taken a look around and I haven't found much information for this project which is still in the planning stage.

I've heard its to be an entirely new road from the end of the Ballincollig bypass to the start of the improved road outside of Ballyvourney on the Killarney side.

Anyone know if it is to be 2+1 or high quality single lane with climbing lanes ?

Timetable ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I have a nasty feeling this will take time.

I've heard its supposed to be 2+1 but I've heard unconfirmed information that they're trying to make it dual.

Big problem though is the plans call for the road to come within the grounds of a castle or a manor house. So expect a group of protesters to hold this one up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Is there traffic to warant dual carriageway ? Nice if would happen.

I guess a lot of money will open up when the interurbans are completed.

Cork to Killarney is a very annoying route to drive at present, especially the section between Macroom and Ballyvourney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Prof_V

Hasn't this project already been fairly controversial, 4 or 5 years ago? I believe part of the trouble was that it would have been dual as far as Macroom, which got widely criticised as unneccessary for the traffic volumes, and the dual sections were downgraded to 2+1 as a result. I may be mistaken though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Bards

With Jackie Healey Ray propping up the government expect this section to be completed within the lifetime of the present Dail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Oh it must be going ahead...sure havent they the whole existing section between Macroom and Ballyvourney dug up with roadworks.....must be due to be replaced......:rolleyes:

(did you like the fake Oirish accent I typed with there:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

anyone got an update on the start date for the project. i know the kerry slug as moved one section. it has to be the worst national road in the country. once its not near the pale its put on the long finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

N81 near Dublin's not great.
    But all the N roads to Killarney contain some brutal sections. Must be the mountains!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I doubt you'll see any movement on this until the interurbans are done in 2009/2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Niall1234 wrote: »
    Is there traffic to warant dual carriageway ? Nice if would happen.

I think they decided that 2+1s were unsafe as people weren't using them properly and that it didn't cost that much extra to turn them into standard dual carriageway (as opposed to HQDC).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Yep. Basically, Irish drivers treated the "end of overtaking lane" sign in much the same way as we tend to treat an orange traffic light...

So D2+1 is out the door. Instead you'll get D2APs with no hard shoulder and with right hand turns. Quite less than the dual carriageways we're used to in this country, but some of the more recent ones were nearly up to HQDC standard. "Type 2 Dual Carriageway" is what you need to look out for on the NRA site for one of these roads (also called "2+2"s....)

• Advertisement
Advertisement