Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kildare rail line

• 06-11-2007 9:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know if there are plans to run an earlier service on the Kildare line into Hueston. I need to be in the city centre at 7am. The earliest train from Newbridge gets in at 7.07, add on 10 mins ish on the luas, and its just a bit too late.

At the moment I am driving and given the amount of traffic on the road I would imagine there would be plenty of demand for an earlier service

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

There's a new timetable due in December but I don't think it includes any extra morning services. I wouldn't view the amount of traffic on the road as an indicator of demand for train services - most people are probably just setting out early to beat the traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

TheBazman wrote: »
    Hi

Does anyone know if there are plans to run an earlier service on the Kildare line into Hueston. I need to be in the city centre at 7am. The earliest train from Newbridge gets in at 7.07, add on 10 mins ish on the luas, and its just a bit too late.

At the moment I am driving and given the amount of traffic on the road I would imagine there would be plenty of demand for an earlier service

Cheers

There are rumours :rolleyes: that there will be a 6:30am service from Portlaoise to Heuston come the new timetable. The rumour stems from a recent rail group meeting in Portlaoise (I was not there, it is what I was told). I cannot verify this rumour.

I have been checking lately with some Irish Rail guys in Heuston and Portlaoise as to possible timetable changes come December but to be fair to them they said they will be the last to know. Chances are they will only know a small time before we actually do. Whether that is true or not.

Anyway....I know this does not help you but just thought I would pass on "the rumour" I heard.

--laoisfan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

On news of earlier services in and out of Kildare, there isn't the rolling stock to bring in much additional capacity on the line until the new 22000 railcars are introduced. A new railcar depot is being built in Port Laois for same; when this is finished and the sets introduced, there will be far more scope for earlier services from Kildare, as well as late runs out of Dublin.

Hamndegger wrote: »
    On news of earlier services in and out of Kildare, there isn't the rolling stock to bring in much additional capacity on the line until the new 22000 railcars are introduced. A new railcar depot is being built in Port Laois for same; when this is finished and the sets introduced, there will be far more scope for earlier services from Kildare, as well as late runs out of Dublin.

As far as I know the new depot for Portlaoise is going to be a maintenance depot. I do not think Irish Rail officially stated it would mean more trains hence more choice, I think the media and people in general just assumed it would. BTW the depot looks like it will be delayed by at 3-6 months than what it's intended due date was meant to be.

That said with the new carriages being introduced on the Cork and Limerick routes one would hope for additional services for the commuter belt. However the commuter belt kinda extends now to Thurles, Limerick Junction and even Limerick. I know several people who commute daily from those 3 locations.

--laoisfan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Cheers for the info/rumours etc. At least there is some hope that something might happen.

Its just frustrating that there seems to be an attitute that public transport getting you to the city centre at 7.20/7.30 is adequate

• Advertisement

TheBazman wrote: »
    Cheers for the info/rumours etc. At least there is some hope that something might happen.

no worries.
    Its just frustrating that there seems to be an attitute that public transport getting you to the city centre at 7.20/7.30 is adequate

totally agree. i guess working from home is not an option you could pursue in work, even if it was 1 or 2 days a week? i am lucky in that i work 2 days a week from home but not everyone is so lucky.

--laoisfan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

laoisfan wrote: »
    As far as I know the new depot for Portlaoise is going to be a maintenance depot. I do not think Irish Rail officially stated it would mean more trains hence more choice, I think the media and people in general just assumed it would. BTW the depot looks like it will be delayed by at 3-6 months than what it's intended due date was meant to be.

--laoisfan

The works in Port Laois is indeed a service centre for railcars. The long term intention is for as many of the railcar sets to run to Port Laois late night for works as is viable, which will mean that later services from Dublin and earlier services from Port Laois than is current will be possible. A similar practice happens with Drogheda services already.

Advertisement