Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to N7 M50 interchange tonight and in the next few months

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

darkman2 wrote: »
    JM, i never said there was any issues with rerouting the Luas.

Opps. My mistake...corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Frustrating for the builders yes, but although I dont agree with NIMBYs I wouldnt want noisy construction near me at 4am. Gotta be limits for sanity

Many parts of the M50 are not very near buildings, especially the "parkway" section between Ballymount and Tallaght. I don't suppose they have managed to have 24 hour operation on those sections away frm buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

I drive up or down the M50 at around midnight on a semi-regular basis and it's rare that there's no work taking place. They're obviously not fully active, but there are many things that can only be done at night - anything requiring opening and closing active lanes - and plenty of things that are easier to do at night - deliveries, moving equipment, setting things up for the next day's work. ASFAIK they're only restricted from doing "noisy" operations - digging/blasting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

jmkennedyie: I was merly wondering when and where the Luas tracks will be laid thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

trellheim wrote: »
    Are there any NRA figures on projected reduced lag time when these projects are complete [ e.g. Cost Benefit Analysis ] ? Victor you normally know where these skeletons are /..;)
    You might find some stuff in the EIS, but CBAs aren't always published.

They will claim it is positive, however, it is very dependant on other projects like Luas and Metro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

Is there plans to upgrade the stretch from N81 to Sandyford to 3 lanes. Looking at NRA website, there is no mention. Just some junction upgrades. The Southbound hill after Knocklyon is a serious bottleneck with HGVs crawling up the hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

NRA sites says "The M50 (Phase 2) PPP Contract is intended to comprise the design, construction, operation, maintenance and financing of the upgrade of approximately 24 km of the existing two lane carriage-way to three lane standard, the provision of auxiliary lanes between the M1 and N3 junction and between the N7 and Scholarstown junctions, the major upgrade of the junctions at the M1, N2 and N3 from their current grade separated junction type to partially free/free flow interchanges; and upgrade works to the junctions at Ballymun, Ballymount, the N81, Scholarstown and Sandyford."

Transports 21 website Says "Phase 2 (PPP – Public Private Partnership) comprises the widening of 24km of the M50 from south of the M1/M50 Turnapin interchange to the N3 interchange and from south of the Ballymount interchange to the Sandyford interchange including the upgrade of interchanges along these sections"

Subtle difference there? Maybe their the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

I agree - once the current phase is completed - the bottlenecks will move. Like you said southbound in the morning - the tailbacks will be from Firhouse onwards...

and in the evenings nothing will change much as the three lane to two lane squeeze will happen at Blanch (about a mile further up from the tolbridge).

For all those commuters using the M50 between N4 to N7 - happy days. for the rest of us - not much will change... I hope I'll stand corrected sometime mid of next year -but until then I don't really believe the times will come down significantly during rush hours until everything is completed (including the M1/M50 junction).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I agree - once the current phase is completed - the bottlenecks will move. Like you said southbound in the morning - the tailbacks will be from Firhouse onwards...

At the moment my experience with the south bound section (I use it some evenings) is that it's comfortably able to handle traffic volumes. The major cause of delays seems to be overtaking lane hoggers who won't move out of the right hand lane for love nor money. I dread to think how the people there will handle 3/4 lanes.
    and in the evenings nothing will change much as the three lane to two lane squeeze will happen at Blanch (about a mile further up from the tolbridge).

The big issue there seems to be that the people coming onto the M50 from the N3 can't merge for ****e :(

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Advertisement